C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat connectivity monitoring

Hi,

Recently I was away for few days and something happened on my control4 thermostat. 

When I came back, the heating was ON and room temperature was around 40 degree Celsius, my thermostat was offline and the display was off (battery dead) .

My question is, is there any ways to monitor the thermostat status? like if it went offline or battery is low? because during winter (Canada weather), if the heating is gone, it could frozen the water pipe and cause huge leakage issue. 

I saw there is a "is_connected" variable, but from testing, it only effected by the pairing connection and the true/false value didn't even trigger when pairing and disconnecting the thermostat.

any help is appreciate.

Yan.

Yeah ihiji would be a good way to go to monitor any device being offline as the Tstat itself doesn't have anything for this.

Mind you from what you describe, the Tstat may have never gone offline as such but internally failed to respond to commands so that may not have helped you here.

Arguably it's much easier to have an extra temp sensor installed (such as the built-in ones from Card Access or Axxess sensors and relays, motion and so on) and have it alert you if temperatures get above or below expectation - that's what I do.

This would also cover any situation where the Tstat might be working as such, but is messing up in some other way (such as just being set wrong, remote sensors in use and busted giving wrong readings).

Hi,

Recently I was away for few days and something happened on my control4 thermostat. 

When I came back, the heating was ON and room temperature was around 40 degree Celsius, my thermostat was offline and the display was off (battery dead) .

My question is, is there any ways to monitor the thermostat status? like if it went offline or battery is low? because during winter (Canada weather), if the heating is gone, it could frozen the water pipe and cause huge leakage issue. 

I saw there is a "is_connected" variable, but from testing, it only effected by the pairing connection and the true/false value didn't even trigger when pairing and disconnecting the thermostat.

any help is appreciate.

Yan.

Wow, a few days worth of potential 40 degC?  Hopefully you're on cheap fuel.  Almost worth having a reliable unit on the wall huh?

ihiji can track offline and send an email

ihiji is another monitoring system, right? getting an extra system just to monitor the Tstat seems to be overkill tho.

i would look at running constant power to the stat, using batteries is never a good idea....

Ryan

it was running on constant power, i guess somehow it lost the power and ran til battery dead

Hi,

any help is appreciate.

Yan.

Wow, a few days worth of potential 40 degC?  Hopefully you're on cheap fuel.  Almost worth having a reliable unit on the wall huh?

yea, it kick on the heat and went dead, so the heat just keep pumping in. havnt receive this month's gas bill yet.... lol

Yeah ihiji would be a good way to go to monitor any device being offline as the Tstat itself doesn't have anything for this.

Mind you from what you describe, the Tstat may have never gone offline as such but internally failed to respond to commands so that may not have helped you here.

Arguably it's much easier to have an extra temp sensor installed (such as the built-in ones from Card Access or Axxess sensors and relays, motion and so on) and have it alert you if temperatures get above or below expectation - that's what I do.

This would also cover any situation where the Tstat might be working as such, but is messing up in some other way (such as just being set wrong, remote sensors in use and busted giving wrong readings).

Adding an extra temp sensor seems to be the easiest for now. So there is no way to do it on composer programming? such as monitoring the zigbee connection?

it was running on constant power, i guess somehow it lost the power and ran til battery dead

Really the only way it should lose power is if the furnace loses power, in which the battery is useless? So i would look into that before you look into band aids. IMO

Ryan

Yeah, I can't help but suspect it's connected using powerstealing, or powerstealing is enabled yet it's connected to the COM anyway. The latter is WRONG, the first is not recommended as it's riddled with compatibility issues with any number of furnaces.

What either of those can do is drain the battery and lock up a T-Stat - so it could certainly explain the event.

Realistically, the C4 Tstat needs to have a COM connection to the furnace, and you may as well leave out the battery (the battery is more of a legacy thing - 1.7.4 and previous-  as these units have been around for a long time)

Thinking out loud…..

An offline thermostat won’t be sending a change to the current temperature variable, and presuming your home’s temperature changes at least once every 3 hours you could setup the following:

When Living Tstat Temp Changes – set tstat1online to true

In Scheduler:

8:00 If tstat1online is true, set tstat1online to false, stop.

If tstat1online if false – send alert

11:00 If tstat1online is true, set tstat1online to false, stop.

If tstat1online if false – send alert,

14:00 If tstat1online is true, set tstat1online to false, stop.

If tstat1online if false – send alert,

17:00 etc….

20:00

23:00

2:00

5:00

Results – if the current temperature variable doesn’t change at least once in three hours then I’m assuming the thermostat is offline and taking action to send some type of alert.

Except if it's frozen for other reasons, like OP finding his house at 40celcius (and that's HOT for the Fahrenheit people - as in Death Valley) must mean the furnace was stuck on heat. So still temp changes happening and that trick wouldn't have triggered, or at least nut until very late.

Plus you're missing some form of timer/schedule to get that variable back to false ;)

AND you'd need to be very careful with this reset so as to not create false alarms.

Correct it won't trigger if thermostat is reporting as it's suppose to, request was if stat not reporting at all, if tstat offline.

(Separate programming is required to monitor if house temperature goes out of range, common programming option, discussed often enough here)

Variable resets to false at each 3 hour scheduler event, when the variable is true: "If tstat1online is true, set tstat1online to false, stop."

i do have upper and lower temperature alerts, but it was useless since TStat was offline and not reporting temperature.

in that case, I like to use timer, set timer to 3hr, send alert when expired. If temperature changes, start timer if its not already running, reset timer if its already running.

another thing is if I set TStat to hold at certain temperature, then the temperature reading should not be changing at all, right?

^Yeah, this is not so good either.  It depends on the heat mass characteristic.  I've seen my system hang at setpoint (due to placement of T Stat near CA return) for a very long time while the living space was like a sauna.

Archived