C4 Forums | Control4

MyMovies Abandons Control4 API Access for End users in next revision MM5.0

Back to the Original Thread of this post - has anyone out there managed to get approval for the API as a private user who did not have movies or MyMovies delivered by a professional ?

I'm struggling to get anywhere beyond the "we dont give this to end users" policy.

I have been on MyMovies for years - before becoming a Control4 customer

Thanks

I have had mymovies for years as well.  I had purchased 2500 points when i first got mymovies 4.  I simply contacted binnerup and requested the API key.  He looked up my information, and provided me with a key, no problems at all.    I had had mymovies before I had control4 as well.  

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regrettably, it seems those days are gone.  i only purchased points recently as i thought thats what i needed to get MM5 to work but no joy.

Those days are not over, but you are missing the situation here.

This functionality was originally intended for the professional market, and, is still supplied to, and through the professional market.

As also stated in this topic, all professionals are required to be part of our installer program, but many professionals ignored that, and worked their way around it by purchasing end-user licenses.

Therefore, as of My Movies 5, we made this feature exclusive to professionals, which made a lot of sense, as the driver at the time was also available only to the same professionals from Extra Vegetables.

We could have chosen to go down a "too bad, stay on the version you purchased" for existing customers, but we did not find that to be a resonable way of doing business, and, it is not the way we would like to treat our customers.

Due to this, we extended the system so that we could enable the API for select user accounts - that was specifically done to be able to upgrade users who:

- Purchased the product before the release of My Movies 5.

- Have used the the Control4 with My Movies 4.

- Have not had their solution provided by a professional (those that did, the professional could get the licenses converted through the professional program).

This is absolutely still the situation - those days are not gone.

But, your situation here does not apply to the above, as you specifically are NOT an existing customer, who purchased before the release of My Movies 5, and used the Control4 system with My Movies 4.

We made the functionality exclusive to professionals through our installer program, to protect those of our professional customers who handle things the right way, to avoid them having to compete against other professionals who sold the systems against our license terms.

Therefore, everyone who fits the above description are still much welcomed to contact us on support@mymovies.dk, and we will make sure they are upgraded.

Everyone else are much welcomed as a customer on the solution, but through our professional partners.

If we were to upgrade those users who did were not original customers on the solution, and here I mean the combination of the My Movies and Control4 solution, we would be back to where we started.

I am sorry that you are not happy about this, but please do not insinuate that we are not treating existing customers the right way on this, potentially leaving customers who are eligible for an upgrade to believe they cannot get one.

Have I made the situation clear enough? Otherwise, please ask, over attempting to provide others with false negative information.

Best regards,

Brian Binnerup

My Movies

Whoa - this is getting a bit mad

Please clarify where i have provided " false negative information " ??   This was never my intention and im a bit shocked by that comment

I have clearly stated that i was using MM before i was using Control 4

I have clearly stated that i only bought my points recently

I understand that these dont meet your criteria

I was merely responding to shupp872's comment that they were using MM before Control4 - perhaps i have misunderstood their situation  

Anyhow - last post on this.   Wasnt trying to mislead or annoy anybody.     

You wrote, "Regrettably, it seems those days are gone.".

That is what I saw as false negative information - sorry if I misinterpreted that.

It is specifically the fact that:

- You purchased after the release of My Movies 5.

- You did not use the Control4 integration under My Movies 4 prior to the release of My Movies 5.

The users we are upgrading are specifically different, because both of the above is true for them.

It does not matter here if you used My Movies before or not - this upgrade was simply an ability to ensure that we were not taking anything away from existing users - we are not taking anything away from you or other users who would like to start using the solution, as you had not used the functionality previously.

It is specifically an attempt to ensure that we do not harm users who already used the solution.

Does it make sense?

Archived