C4 Forums | Control4

MyMovies Abandons Control4 API Access for End users in next revision MM5.0

On my Synology NAS I have plugged a USB External drive into the NAS and have the laptops backup to the external drive so the files are managed onto the NAS and as long as the NAS and the PC are on the backup occurs (I don't have to remember to plug the external drive into the computers), but the external drive is where the data is stored away from the main content of the NAS.

This drive is also the backup of the photo media on the NAS.

A second external drive connected to the NAS is a backup of the movies, music and other content of the NAS.

All these backups are then scheduled on the PC or the NAS so I don't have to think about this.  Microsoft will pop up and tell you if the computer has not been on when a backup was scheduled for a certin number of days.  Not sure how apple does it.

Hope that makes sense.  It may be possible on your drive.

This is not  a bad setup either. I'm considering it.

thanks

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would highly recommend a raid 5 config for any Nas. Without raid 5 you have no redundancy and protection for a list disk in your Nas.

I don't see why would would want a pc backup in a separate place?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Having RAID even 5 is not the same as Backup.

For very important data Off-SIte Backup or Copy is further recommended

For very important data Off-SIte Backup or Copy is further recommended

I agree raid and off site are different. But it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish

For very important data Off-SIte Backup or Copy is further recommended

Understood, I'm just commenting on why someone would want a separate PC backup in a separate place

My priceless home videos is on a NAS with RAID, I also have it backedup on a separate drive (in case of NAS failure) plus I have an external hardrive copy stored in a different location (in case of fire) 

Understood, I'm just commenting on why someone would want a separate PC backup in a separate place

My priceless home videos is on a NAS with RAID, I also have it backedup on a separate drive (in case of NAS failure) plus I have an external hardrive copy stored in a different location (in case of fire)

IMHO the only reason to save it on a separate drive outside of a Nas is if you are going to off-site it.

IMHO the only reason to save it on a separate drive outside of a Nas is if you are going to off-site it. Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

And cost. The data on the NAS is primary source data for many. As is the data on the laptop HDD. The backup does not need the same level of redundancy.

I also like that the backup is then constrained to the size of the USB drive and will manage down the size of older iterations rather than filling up the NAS. I know there are settings in Win7pro to manage this but it never worked correctly for me.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Well, all that I'm trying to accomplish is to prevent what just happened to me. I lost everything I hand on the PC HHD. So  what i want do mow is to have something outside the PC HHD and NAS drive in case something of this sort happened in the future.

@EDDY7 - to confirm you have RAID all setup, here is a pic from my system to guide you.  This is from the new DSM 5.0 that was recently released from synology, so if you are on an earlier version it won't look the same.  Anyhow, though, click on "Storage Manager" from the DSM Main Menu.  Then click on "Volume".  It should show a field called "Raid Type" and say something similar to what's in the following pic.  If this is not what you're seeing, post back a screenshot.

2v30zmr.png

@EDDY7 - to confirm you have RAID all setup, here is a pic from my system to guide you.  This is from the new DSM 5.0 that was recently released from synology, so if you are on an earlier version it won't look the same.  Anyhow, though, click on "Storage Manager" from the DSM Main Menu.  Then click on "Volume".  It should show a field called "Raid Type" and say something similar to what's in the following pic.  If this is not what you're seeing, post back a screenshot.

2v30zmr.png

ericscales: 

Thanks a lot. I I just saw this post and checked as you directed.  Yes it is setup the way you have your screenshot. I updated the DSM while I was installing the DS.

Thanks a lot.   I also have the tech guy helped me set the backup to Ext WD 1TB drive connected to the DS.

^

So now you are backing up the content of the NAS.

You also need to get your pc on Windows 7 Pro. You can do that with the instant online upgrade in the OS.

Set up a folder on the NAS or NAS USB1 drive called laptop backup.

Point Windows backup to that folder and tell it to run daily.

^

So now you are backing up the content of the NAS.

You also need to get your pc on Windows 7 Pro. You can do that with the instant online upgrade in the OS.

Set up a folder on the NAS or NAS USB1 drive called laptop backup.

Point Windows backup to that folder and tell it to run daily.

Is this where the apple fanboys jump in and say how bad Microsoft is for not including that capability as standard like Apple?  I'm a recent convert and I want to know when we pile on.  :)  I have my windows 7 home installation via parallels mapped to the apple system, then the file backed up via time machine.  It works great backing up directly to a drive on the network and it works automatically.  

I'm sure there will be a need at some point to go back to windows and I wouldn't setup backups any other way.

• 1 year later...

Back to the Original Thread of this post - has anyone out there managed to get approval for the API as a private user who did not have movies or MyMovies delivered by a professional ?

I'm struggling to get anywhere beyond the "we dont give this to end users" policy.

I have been on MyMovies for years - before becoming a Control4 customer

Thanks

In my correspondence with MM I have quoted Binnerup who said ".....API for end-users who have specifically been granted access. The process to be granted access is to contact support@mymovies.dk, with a confirmation that you are a private user, and that your My Movies solution was not delivered by a professional"

But i dont think i am getting anywhere

Understood, and thanks for the reply.    

But i believe that the installer also needs to be a registered installer for mymovies - while i still get him to do lots of other C4 stuff for me, i'm happy to manage the movie collection myself - so i am not going to ask him to join an installers program for a 3rd party he doesnt use, just to get around this.  

My various emails back and forth to MM today have brought this unhappy chapter to a close - they have agreed to refund my subscription for my 2500 points. While its a great looking solution, im uncomfortable with the whole structure that is going on here.  

Anyhow......will look for another solution

thanks

No, your MyMovies needs to be setup to specs by a MyMovies licensed installer. Whether that is your C4 dealer, or a third party doesn't matter as such. That licensed installer can then get you the API key that is needed to make the C4 driver work.

In other words, you can get MyMovies installed/setup by a licensed MyMovie installer, get the API key and pass it on to your dealer to enter into the driver.

Archived