C4 Forums | Control4

MyMovies Abandons Control4 API Access for End users in next revision MM5.0

I read through a number of pages on this thread and am a bit confused about my situation and how this affects me so I have a few questions.

First, my situation is as follows:

I run Windows Home Server and have MyMovies installed on it and the client software on various HTPCs in my home.  This setup was put in place prior to my becoming a Control4 customer.   In my control4 system, I do not use any of the media features (no music, no movies).  I use lighting, security and automation features only.   In one viewing location, I have my C4 Controller which accesses the HTPC as an input device (along with PS3, SlingCatcher, etc.).

So my questions are:

1. Will I have to pay a separate licensing fee to my C4 dealer to continue using future versions of My Movies in this way?  (If so, I'd rather just pay MyMovies directly, as my C4 dealer won't/doesn't touch my media configuration).
  2. If the answer to #1 is "yes", then does that obligate my dealer to support my installation of MyMovies that I have been running for years?
  3. If the answer to #1 is "yes", then does that automatically allow me to have install MyMovies (and EV) on my C4 system should I elect to?
  4. Is the license fee a one time fee or is it annual like the 4sight subscription?

My apologies if these questions have already been answered, but I didn't see the answer in a way that I could understand in the 1st 7 pages.

If no profssionals have had no relation to your My Movies solution, then you contact our support as everyone else.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a different API - you cannot use that information for anything - it refers to the online service API, for use with XBMC scraper, ect.

That one is available (still) for everyone with 2500 points.

The 5K points are shown if you have a trial.

You cannot see any registration on the local API - it is only something we can see in our end.

Wow I am now total confused - so it says API access yes on my account - but it does not work if I upgrade to mm 5 ?

Wow I am now total confused - so it says API access yes on my account - but it does not work if I upgrade to mm 5 ?

Not correct.

If you have contacted our support, and been told that the access have been registered for you, you have access.

The information on the website refers to a totally different feature, and you therefore cannot use this as any indication of anything in relation to your Control4/EV usage.

Hi guys this is a bit off topic but I need help.

I had MMV , + EV and Popcorn Hour.

My PC just crushed 4 days ago and lost everything?

1. How do I get MMV back ?  should I just download the Pre Release MM5? or the the previous?

2. I just downloaded the Pre Release MM5 and sent Brian an email to resolve my issue as an end user with the hope the Upgrade me to the Full version.

3.  All my of my movies are still on My syanology NAS drive, but how do I sync it with this new MM 5 pre release?

I appreaciate every contribution as i am sweating my b...tt off.

Hi guys this is a bit off topic but I need help.

I had MMV , + EV and Popcorn Hour.

My PC just crushed 4 days ago and lost everything?

1. How do I get MMV back ?  should I just download the Pre Release MM5? or the the previous?

2. I just downloaded the Pre Release MM5 and sent Brian an email to resolve my issue as an end user with the hope the Upgrade me to the Full version.

3.  All my of my movies are still on My syanology NAS drive, but how do I sync it with this new MM 5 pre release?

I appreaciate every contribution as i am sweating my b...tt off.

Unless you had your database backed up you are screwed and will need to rescan from scratch.

Unless you had your database backed up you are screwed and will need to rescan from scratch.

Thanks .

Not  Kidding!   How do I rescan?  do you mean I have to get the actual DVD or Blu ray and copy it  agin or there is a feature in My movies to scan?

Thanks .

Not Kidding! How do I rescan? do you mean I have to get the actual DVD or Blu ray and copy it agin or there is a feature in My movies to scan?

WHERE ARE THE MOVIE FILES?

On a NAS or on the Crushed computer.

Did the hard disk also get crushed or just the computer.

Can the hard disk be put unto a USB housing and read?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Thanks .

Not  Kidding!   How do I rescan?  do you mean I have to get the actual DVD or Blu ray and copy it  agin or there is a feature in My movies to scan?

All of your movies should be on your NAS under folders for each movie. All you need to do is to reinstall MyMovies and create a new collection database by scanning your movies on the NAS.

By the way do you mean CRUSHED or CRASHED?

I meant the the HHD got crashed.   I came home, started the comupter it was running very slow so I turn it off by pressing/ holding the power button.

I tried to power it it again and got error message it coulf not read the HHD. I took it to a tech and he could not recover anything from the HHD.

I think I actually got the folders back now.

The Movies were on the NAS.

I downloaded the new MM5 pre-released and the went to the button say inport a folder and was able to selecet the NAS and the movies repopulated in the MMV.

No  the next thing is trying to downloaded AnyDVD HD and license key.

The other problems is  how do I get this new setup with my control4  to get the API and everything.

I have also sent Brian from Binnerup an email to see what they can do as far as the new development with MMV is concern. Whether I need  a new API to set it up.

Generally, we surely always recommend creating database backups in the Collection Management application, or, in the Dashboard of server installations, or either place in My Movies 5.

Then, if you did not, and you loose your database, all your datas is stored in the actual folders in some encrypted "mymovies.xml" files - this means that when another machine, or, a freshly installed machine imports the content again, either through the "Folder import" function, or through monitoring, it will pick up your data this way.

Generally, we surely always recommend creating database backups in the Collection Management application, or, in the Dashboard of server installations, or either place in My Movies 5.

Then, if you did not, and you loose your database, all your datas is stored in the actual folders in some encrypted "mymovies.xml" files - this means that when another machine, or, a freshly installed machine imports the content again, either through the "Folder import" function, or through monitoring, it will pick up your data this way.

Thanks.   I just found that out after I have been looking at the functions of MMV5 - it can be manually backup or set to automatic backup.

Brian, did you get my email confirming  MMV5 for personal use?    What should I do now ? Please   did you upgrade or took care of my account?

Windows pro and Mac both have backup / time machine that one set up back up your data to your NAS without intervention.

You should set this up.

Lesson learned. Thankfully a rescan fixed this.

I am home todauy so I will be setting that up.

I only have a total of 6TB on the NAS and also Have 1TB WD external drive.

What do you reccommend?  Should I use the 1TB for all the backup from my PC ? and have 6TB for my movie collection ?

I am home todauy so I will be setting that up.

I only have a total of 6TB on the NAS and also Have 1TB WD external drive.

What do you reccommend?  Should I use the 1TB for all the backup from my PC ? and have 6TB for my movie collection ?

On my Synology NAS I have plugged a USB External drive into the NAS and have the laptops backup to the external drive so the files are managed onto the NAS and as long as the NAS and the PC are on the backup occurs (I don't have to remember to plug the external drive into the computers), but the external drive is where the data is stored away from the main content of the NAS.

This drive is also the backup of the photo media on the NAS.

A second external drive connected to the NAS is a backup of the movies, music and other content of the NAS.

All these backups are then scheduled on the PC or the NAS so I don't have to think about this.  Microsoft will pop up and tell you if the computer has not been on when a backup was scheduled for a certin number of days.  Not sure how apple does it.

Hope that makes sense.  It may be possible on your drive.

Yest it has Raid, but I don't think that is setup. I don't know how to set the raid. Also I wanted the PC backup to be separate from the NAS.

I would highly recommend a raid 5 config for any Nas. Without raid 5 you have no redundancy and protection for a list disk in your Nas.

I don't see why would would want a pc backup in a separate place?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I would highly recommend a raid 5 config for any Nas. Without raid 5 you have no redundancy and protection for a list disk in your Nas.

what is a list disk? I am only using Raid 1 (mirror pair) is one of those a list disk?

It would help if Eddy told us the name of his NAS drive.

I think there is a raid on the NAS "Synology" but i have not figured it out yet.

Archived