C4 Forums | Control4

"Content Distribution" in Australia is totally insane

5 blockbuster series: all available on a mixed bag of entirely different platforms and formats. Go figure:

Game of Thrones.

First and second series were available and exclusively released pretty much real time on iTunes Australian store

Repeats of these followed a few weeks later on Foxtel cable (owned 50/50 between our Telco and Rupert Murdoch's News Corp)

The Third series however can now only be viewed via a Foxtel STB. (News Corp signed an exclusive deal with HBO) It won't be available on iTunes for months

VikIngs

Exclusively available on a (previously public) now private TV channel. Can be recorded on a DVR: but copies of previous series to keep only available on Blu Ray disc 

House of Cards

Only available via Netflix which needs to be ordered via a US CC and an IP unblocker put in place to view

Pretty Little Liars

Only available on US iTunes store. Very old series available via DVD/ Blu Ray

Puberty Blues (Local TV series)

Available on Foxtel and Australia iTunes store

..so swapping between the two itunes stores becomes a nightmare with the Apple device/itunes store "3 month rule"...

So a family guy needs 4 different hardware boxes: Apple TV, Foxtel STB, DVR, Oppo (for Netflix) and 4 different subscriptions (2 Apple itunes stores, Netflix and Foxtel: AND he has to purchase the odd Blu Ray to keep all this together..

This is insane. INSANE in today's modern digitalised global, 24/7 world..

....and I haven't even started to go into what goes on with Sport distribution... :)

...and needless to say the bit torrent thieves can probably get ALL these shows for free on the one convenient platform.. 

Right like THAT makes sense.. Go figure..

I think your problems would all be solved if you lived somewhere other than Australia.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

I doubt it.  The USA has it best, and it's still not perfect here, although it's better than most of the rest of the world for sure.

Also, to be fair:

Game of Thrones is produced and distributed by HBO, who have a pretty good track record of sticking their middle finger up at people that don't have a subscription to HBO through their TV provider, and it's even worse outside the USA.

House of Cards was produced by Netflix, so they only want people to see it through Netflix.

Companies sign deals for content distribution, and they're different in different territories.  Until we all share one global market and everything is available through SkyNet(flix), this is going to continue to be the case.

I'd also like to point out I have a DirecTV subscription with Showtime and HBO, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus and Netflix, and there are still many many shows I can't watch in the perfect manner.  It's not Australia, it's the whole world.

Actually this is typical for any country outside of the US.  I live in Canada and we should be close to the US, but we are not.  At least Netflix has come here and you can buy a Netflix sub with a Canadian credit card and use Unblockus to select which country's Netflix you want to use.

But I really think the content creators should be moving to global distribution models rather than country by country, especially since people can get the stuff through other means, like Bittorrent, if it is too hard to get it legally.

5 blockbuster series: all available on a mixed bag of entirely different platforms and formats. Go figure:

Game of Thrones.

First and second series were available and exclusively released pretty much real time on iTunes Australian store

Repeats of these followed a few weeks later on Foxtel cable (owned 50/50 between our Telco and Rupert Murdoch's News Corp)

The Third series however can now only be viewed via a Foxtel STB. (News Corp signed an exclusive deal with HBO) It won't be available on iTunes for months

HBO so only available on HBO / HBO Go with my $15 a month HBO subscription paid through my cable bill

Or Netflix on disc only.

Or buy it on Apple / Amazon / Vudu

VikIngs

Exclusively available on a (previously public) now private TV channel. Can be recorded on a DVR: but copies of previous series to keep only available on Blu Ray disc 

Can get this on Netflix on disc only

Stream on Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime

History Channel on Premium Cable Pack (onto TiVo)

Or buy it on Apple / Amazon / Vudu

House of Cards

Only available via Netflix which needs to be ordered via a US CC and an IP unblocker put in place to view

Can stream on Netflix

Pretty Little Liars

Only available on US iTunes store. Very old series available via DVD/ Blu Ray

Stream on Netflix, Disc from Netflix

Or buy it on Apple / Vudu

Puberty Blues (Local TV series)

Available on Foxtel and Australia iTunes store

Not available anywhere

..so swapping between the two itunes stores becomes a nightmare with the Apple device/itunes store "3 month rule"...

So a family guy needs 4 different hardware boxes: Apple TV, Foxtel STB, DVR, Oppo (for Netflix) and 4 different subscriptions (2 Apple itunes stores, Netflix and Foxtel: AND he has to purchase the odd Blu Ray to keep all this together..

This is insane. INSANE in today's modern digitalised global, 24/7 world..

Commented inline in colour (spelt for the Aussies / Brits)

Have you looked into if you can get vudu over there (likely similar problems to Apple / Netflix but it would be another source that would give you streamed content (and downloadable) without the flip flop between stores etc.

There is an awesome website / app

www.CanIStream.it which helps find where you can stream, digital purchase or watch on cable (US).  I use it often.

It's not much better here, thankfully I am not in the apple ecosystem, but am constantly filpping between Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, SHO and HBOGo (for local content) on my Roku box and then back to the Tivo for more recent episodes.  I don't subscribe to Hulu or other services but they would all come through Roku but on different apps.

^ SMH: thanks so much for the canistream.it link.....

the fact a website exists like this (even for US customers) kinda proves my point :)

But that website is awesome and just the help I was looking for..

Hey. Why doesn't someone write a control4 app with a link to this website?... so that an icon push straight off a C4 Touch screen could link to the website which would set in motion the correct hardware play and TV input selections...

Oh wait. There is no "search" within Control4, so I guess that kills that idea... 

...Of course the next step would be for Control4 or some other genius from EV or AlanC or someone like that to write some code that enables *All* digital files (purchased via a search like this) to populate a clear and easy to search Control4 media library... but then we run into the DRM issue and like I say, Control4 doesn't do search....

I think your problems would all be solved if you lived somewhere other than Australia.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

I think further comments in this thread have illustrated it's not just Australia.. not even a move to the US would solve the issue.

The issue is that digital video/movie and TV show distribution is a total shambles.. no matter where you live... :)

The other point is Control4 is very much in this space, because Control4 is a product that customers buy to try and navigate around such a shambles, so Control4 should be trying to do everything within their power to make this navigation simpler for their customers.

But if you want to use this analogy: We could all still be navigating over the potholes in a 1909 T Model Ford.. or we could move on to manufacturing an SUV... 

I'm not Mad at Ford Dan.. It's how it is. I still love T Model Fords. The issue is are they still practical? 

^Take a look at that canistream it site...

...a kid with a $399 computer plugged into the one HDMI TV input can get a better digital content user experience that a guy with a 10K Control4 setup.. 

That's the real issue here..

That by continuing to ignore this, and not spend the appropriate R&D to rectify it.. the HA companies (and it's not just C4..it's all of them)...the HA companies, are losing traction and relevance in their core market. And their core market is Control and co-ordination of the TV/Video playback experience. 

LOL!!! a month or so back I entered a few purchased UV codes from some Blu Ray's I bought, into some website. Now I can't remember the darn website!! LOL!!!

I now have the opportunity to enter some more codes..but the weblinks from the pamphlet in the discs are all different.. Yeah I can get Vudu.. but it now requires an UV link to use it properly and as sure as the sun rises every day that will be country specific. Yep Shambles alright. No two ways about it..  hahahahahahahhaha  

Wait it gets better..

Over here the "UV seamless experience" is linked to half a dozen websites which are linked back to the physical disc stores...so one needs to remember *which* particular store you bought the blu Ray disc, so you can go to *that* particular stores linked website to redeem then view your movie.. like a customer could end up with their digital content in 3 or 4 differtent UV "locations" LOL!!!

Then if one wants to loggin to the local "store" but are still viewing UV overseas via Vudu  (say with unblock) you can't!!

hahahahaha who says there is such a thing as free trade?

WHAT free trade!

It's now one (digital) world people.

Like this is just soooooo fab as a friendly customer experience hahahahahahahhaha  

Who dreamed up this bullshit?

Some lobbyist at the WTO or the United Nations?

Meanwhile the kid with the $399 computer and a bit torrent account get's up and running in 1 minute flat for free.. 

The model is busted already.. 

What a farce.

No doubt *that* is why Control4 doesn't want to get involved. And I guess who can blame them.

Kind of sad that their eventual demise as a hub for TV and media control is taken out of their own hands and they are powerless to do anything about it.. 

Sad. But lets be realistic. It's true. 

Meanwhile the kid with the $399 computer and a bit torrent account get's up and running in 1 minute flat for free.. 

The model is busted already.. 

What a farce.

No doubt *that* is why Control4 doesn't want to get involved. And I guess who can blame them.

Kind of sad that their eventual demise as a hub for TV and media control is taken out of their own hands and they are powerless to do anything about it.. 

Sad. But lets be realistic. It's true. 

This is like saying that I have to buy a car from a dealership for 30k, but if I just smash a window and hotwire it I get it for free.  It's a shitty analogy.

The content distributors/producers are the ABSOLUTE owners of the work.  If they want to make it so that only people in the USA can watch it, and then only some of them that have the exact right combination of subscriptions, that is there absolute right to do so.  While I agree that they could probably make more money by making it easily accessible to the rest of the world, why do you DESERVE this more than they DESERVE to do what they like with their property?  You're coming across as someone who doesn't understand that while everything should be easy, it's not.  This is the real world, and 95% of it couldn't care less about these issues as long as they can watch <insert local sports team> beat <insert rival not-so-local sports team> on TV when they turn it on.  If they can't get content, they won't watch it.

LOL!!! a month or so back I entered a few purchased UV codes from some Blu Ray's I bought, into some website. Now I can't remember the darn website!! LOL!!!

I now have the opportunity to enter some more codes..but the weblinks from the pamphlet in the discs are all different.. Yeah I can get Vudu.. but it now requires an UV link to use it properly and as sure as the sun rises every day that will be country specific. Yep Shambles alright. No two ways about it..  hahahahahahahhaha  

Wait it gets better..

Over here the "UV seamless experience" is linked to half a dozen websites which are linked back to the physical disc stores...so one needs to remember *which* particular store you bought the blu Ray disc, so you can go to *that* particular stores linked website to redeem then view your movie.. like a customer could end up with their digital content in 3 or 4 differtent UV "locations" LOL!!!

Then if one wants to loggin to the local "store" but are still viewing UV overseas via Vudu  (say with unblock) you can't!!

hahahahaha who says there is such a thing as free trade?

WHAT free trade!

It's now one (digital) world people.

Like this is just soooooo fab as a friendly customer experience hahahahahahahhaha  

Who dreamed up this bullshit?

Some lobbyist at the WTO or the United Nations?

So go ahead.  You think you know how to do it better? Do it.  Put up or shut up.

Stop trolling.

https://uvvu.com/

The content distributors/producers are the ABSOLUTE owners of the work.  If they want to make it so that only people in the USA can watch it, and then only some of them that have the exact right combination of subscriptions, that is there absolute right to do so.  While I agree that they could probably make more money by making it easily accessible to the rest of the world, why do you DESERVE this more than they DESERVE to do what they like with their property?  You're coming across as someone who doesn't understand that while everything should be easy, it's not.  This is the real world, and 95% of it couldn't care less about these issues as long as they can watch <insert local sports team> beat <insert rival not-so-local sports team> on TV when they turn it on.  If they can't get content, they won't watch it.

But the thing is - there is more money for the content producers if they were to make it better.  Just like Steve Jobs said that buying music from iTunes for $1/song was easier and better than downloading from Bittorrent's predecssors.

My ideal system would allow me to watch any Movie older than 6 months old that was every produced and every TV show ever made.  I also want to watch all sports from the moment the game starts with DVR-like capabilities so that I can watch it in near real-time.  For all of this I am willing to pay at least $150/month, maybe more.  That is more than I pay today for all types of media including cable bill, Netflix fees, Amazon prime fees, DVD purchases, etc.  This would be kind of like Netflix+Hulu+Amazon except with a complete movie and TV collection with nothing missing plus it would add in the sports. In the service that I am proposing we are cutting out some of the middle men so more of the money goes to the content producer.  I think that is a better deal for the content producers but I don't know that enough people are willing to pay that much.

But some of those middle men, like cable companies and TV channels will be big losers so they are fighting like hell to keep the status quo.

But the thing is - there is more money for the content producers if they were to make it better.  Just like Steve Jobs said that buying music from iTunes for $1/song was easier and better than downloading from Bittorrent's predecssors.

My ideal system would allow me to watch any Movie older than 6 months old that was every produced and every TV show ever made.  I also want to watch all sports from the moment the game starts with DVR-like capabilities so that I can watch it in near real-time.  For all of this I am willing to pay at least $150/month, maybe more.  That is more than I pay today for all types of media including cable bill, Netflix fees, Amazon prime fees, DVD purchases, etc.  This would be kind of like Netflix+Hulu+Amazon except with a complete movie and TV collection with nothing missing plus it would add in the sports. In the service that I am proposing we are cutting out some of the middle men so more of the money goes to the content producer.  I think that is a better deal for the content producers but I don't know that enough people are willing to pay that much.

But some of those middle men, like cable companies and TV channels will be big losers so they are fighting like hell to keep the status quo.

I'm not disagreeing with you on how this would be good.  However, with music, you only have to really deal with the big 4 and everyone else falls in line.  With video, the number of content producers, rights owners and other interested parties (who may not all be related) is huge, and that's just for movies.  When you start talking about TV series as well, it gets even bigger, and if you're talking sports, you need to get signoff from each league and each area you want to operate in (and in some cases, the teams as well).

In short - music worked because Apple were willing to throw money at a solvable problem with a finite number of players.  Movies, TV shows and sports is a whole other world of legals, and those legals are already more complicated than the world of audio ever was.  CDs had one release and then they were done; might be broken up into territories and some territories might see different releases, but it's not like there was PPV, satellite/cable viewing, theater release, home rental release, home sales release - and all of those have different rightsholders and interested parties.

Hell, Hulu is OWNED (or at least was, it's hard to keep track) by some of the biggest rightsholders, and they couldn't make it do everything, so what chance does C4 (who don't play in this space at all, despite what some people keep asserting) have of getting anyone to listen to them?

Well Apple to an extent has fixed the problem if you are willing to throw $150 a month at it.

I'm proposing that a TiVo connected to an OTA free aerial signal and an Apple TV will work well for the solution proposed (at least in the US).

With that you will have Free live TV, sports etc  You can then pay Apple for anything else you want on a PAYG approach.  Some months you will consume lots of expensive new content, others less new and more legacy content.  Should work out to less than the $1800 a year you are budgeting.

Still no live Game Of Thrones with this approach though.  Amazon Prime looks like you'd get pretty close soon as well; they seem to have similar shows to Apple available about the same time, but you get the old seasons for free.

Still no live Game Of Thrones with this approach though.  Amazon Prime looks like you'd get pretty close soon as well; they seem to have similar shows to Apple available about the same time, but you get the old seasons for free.

Ok so that would be your local cable company basic cable  | Standard Cable | + Internet

which on my bill is $92.50, back out the internet which you did not include above, you were willing to pay $150 /mo for content.  Thats $39 of that bill so $53.50

HBO which on my bill is $16

Total to cable co for TV including HBO $69.50 (add another $5 of taxes).

Say $75 that gives you another $75 to spend on content elsewhere.  Amazon Prime $79 or $99 whatever.  Say $10 a month.

$85 a month of your $150 down.  So you have $65 a month to spend on Amazon rentals, Blurays, Apple, etc.

You still can't get everything you want for $150 a month?

Ok so that would be your local cable company basic cable  | Standard Cable | + Internet

which on my bill is $92.50, back out the internet which you did not include above, you were willing to pay $150 /mo for content.  Thats $39 of that bill so $53.50

HBO which on my bill is $16

Total to cable co for TV including HBO $69.50 (add another $5 of taxes).

Say $75 that gives you another $75 to spend on content elsewhere.  Amazon Prime $79 or $99 whatever.  Say $10 a month.

$85 a month of your $150 down.  So you have $65 a month to spend on Amazon rentals, Blurays, Apple, etc.

You still can't get everything you want for $150 a month?

I can, because I live in the USA.  Other markets, where releases are restricted more, probably not so much.  But yes, it can be solved.  You still need to use multiple devices etc, so it's not perfect.  It's not my issue - I'm happy with what I can get and how I can watch it :)

Archived