C4 Forums | Control4

AirPlay and Sonos

I was wondering what everyone is doing to be able to AirPaly into the Sonos but still maintain some level of C4 control.  This is really more for my wife's convenience than mine.  All of my audio end points currently have Sonos in them one way or another and she wants to be able to play directly from her phone into whichever room she's in and then have the ability to play it all over the house.  I was just looking to see in want different ways people are accomplishing something like this while also keeping it as simple as possible for her to use.  I was leaning towards adding an Apple Airport Express to one of the line ins on one of the Sonos Connects.  I just wasn't sure of all the pros and cons to this.  As well as how to keep the overall selection, volume control, etc in the Control4's hands.  If she has to use more than one app to control it well she just won't!  

Can you put the wireless music bridge in to the system and get it to all your audio endpoints?

$300 retail vs $99 but will keep the seamless control experience.

It has analog and digital coax outputs.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Can you put the wireless music bridge in to the system and get it to all your audio endpoints?

$300 retail vs $99 but will keep the seamless control experience.

It has analog and digital coax outputs.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

I had thought about that as a possibility as well.  I suppose I could just plug it into the line on one of the Sonos Connects just the same as the Airport Express.  Has anyone ever tried this or seen it done?

So a new Sonos driver is coming from several sources and as Sonos already supports streaming content on your phone I'm guessing that option will be available in the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So a new Sonos driver is coming from several sources and as Sonos already supports streaming content on your phone I'm guessing that option will be available in the driver.

I currently have the EV driver and for most things it works great.  This just seems to be one of it's shortcomings.

I currently have the EV driver and for most things it works great.  This just seems to be one of it's shortcomings.

The only way to pull content from the phone is to be using the Sonos app on the phone directly.  The Sonos apps and Desktop Controller can't get content from different phones (try it out).  This isn't possible using a C4 driver at this time.  If this changes in the future then we will of course implement it.

I actually have all our music on a NAS available directly from the controller or through the Sonos.  The problem lies in that my wife likes to be difficult!  For instance when she's previewing a song on iTunes on her phone she wants to be able to hear it over the speakers in whichever room she's in.  The same goes for Spotify on her phone.  I know there are other ways of doing this but have fun explaining that to her!

then a music bridge connected to the sonos line in would be the last piece needed. How ever she will have to use the two apps itunes or spotify and c4 to select the room she is in. If you have keypads or switches around the home she could press a button in that room for airplay to automatically start eliminating the c4 app, but you still have to be able to tell the system what room she is in. unless you want to have a WMB for each room....

I actually have all our music on a NAS available directly from the controller or through the Sonos. The problem lies in that my wife likes to be difficult! For instance when she's previewing a song on iTunes on her phone she wants to be able to hear it over the speakers in whichever room she's in. The same goes for Spotify on her phone. I know there are other ways of doing this but have fun explaining that to her!

Do like I and many others would do... Simply tell her it can't be done, like she will know. End of story! The. You can move into the next honey do. This answer is much simpler for everyone.

Do like I and many others would do... Simply tell her it can't be done, like she will know. End of story! The. You can move into the next honey do. This answer is much simpler for everyone.

It wish it were this easy!  With her she'll just try to figure it out herself.  Then I'll come home to all the A/V in the house being in total chaos!  Like I've tried to hide all the remotes besides the Control4 ones but she will just find them,decide to use them, and get everything out of sync.  

Archived