C4 Forums | Control4

UPS with remote management

Does anyone know of a UPS with smart outlets that can be managed remotely?  I know that APC has a network enabled Smart UPS that can be managed from the network that it is on but I am looking for a UPS that can be managed from another location and I don't have the ability to use a VPN.  The device I want to be able to monitor and reboot is the device that establishes the VPN connection so if it is down, I don't have the ablilty to connect to the VPN network to get to the UPS.

I want to be able to remotely connect to the UPS and kill power to the device and restore power if the device gets hung and needs a reboot.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

There is also this web power switch ($130) - not a UPS but allows management from a web UI - assuming you can do some port forwarding a VPN isn't required.  I have one of these plugged into my UPS.  It also has a featured called autoping that will power cycle one of your poer outlets if it can't connect to the net - useful if you have a flaky network device.

http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html

Thanks for the recommendations.  The power switch would be perfect but unfortunately I don't control the networks and can't port forward.  I have a setup where I have installations on client networks that I don't control.  Ideally, I was looking for consumer grade UPS or power switch that has a cloud management capability where the UPS or power switch initiates the connection to a backend service and can be managed remotely without a VPN or opening any ports.  I can remotely connect to my installed devices this way however when I lose a connection I don't know if it is power related or the device isn't functioning.  Being able to monitor the power and reboot the device remotely would save a ton of site visits.  The Panamax device looks like it would work but its a big investment when I have close to 100 of these setups.

Wattbox would be perfect but unless I am reading the specifications incorrectly it looks like it would still require ports to be opened so that it is addressable from outside the network and I don't have the ability to make changes to the network.  I was hoping for something that creates an outbound connection to a hosted service that can then be used to access the device.

Thanks for the leads so far, everyone.  I appreciate it.

There is also this web power switch ($130) - not a UPS but allows management from a web UI - assuming you can do some port forwarding a VPN isn't required.  I have one of these plugged into my UPS.  It also has a featured called autoping that will power cycle one of your poer outlets if it can't connect to the net - useful if you have a flaky network device.

http://www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html

They should use a better actor in their video.  Kind of looks like a sleaze salesman. 

Why doesn't anyone seem to mention this? 

http://www.extravegetables.com/products/apc-s20

I have 2 of these, I need to get this driver.  But would like to hear if others like it or not.

I was going to purchase but they don't support any of the newer firmware.  (Edited to Add):  Which is very surprising as the new firmware makes it even easier to integrate.  I'd throw together something, but I've already got msgreenf on me about that tripit driver :-)

(And Edited Again):  My apologies.  That's the S20, I was thinking of the Smart-UPS line that's not supported with new firmware (well, new as of 2012).

Wattbox would be perfect but unless I am reading the specifications incorrectly it looks like it would still require ports to be opened so that it is addressable from outside the network and I don't have the ability to make changes to the network.  I was hoping for something that creates an outbound connection to a hosted service that can then be used to access the device.

Thanks for the leads so far, everyone.  I appreciate it.

I know they have dynamic DNS service...but I just connect via VPN so I haven't tried to use the user.wattbox.com account. My understanding is that you can access it remotely through that web GUI, but to be honest I've never tried.

The Panamax MB1500 with the bluebolt card requires absolutely ZERO setup in a router to remotely access it. The UPS "phones home" to the Panamax/Furman bluebolt server and checks to see if its serial # is registered to an account. Once you are set up and its made the connection, you are good to go to control AND monitor the outlets. You get current and voltage usage from the device.  It definitely not the cheapest option, but it will do exactly what you had asked.

Archived