C4 Forums | Control4

Maximum Audio Streams

What is the maximum number of audio streams supported by the current hardware/software?

For example:

In an environment with an HC-800 and 6 HC-250's what is the maximum number of unique audio streams that can be distributed through the system (assuming the streams originated from one of the controllers via tunein, nas, digitizing the analog in on an hc-250, etc... and not some external device)?

This also assumes that the remote HC-250's analog out will be wired back to the 16x16 audio matrix located with the HC-800

Secondly - is the system smart enough to know that if two zones are sourcing individual tunein stations and let's say those streams come from the HC-800 and a third zone opts for a unique tunein station that one of the HC-250's should establish the stream and source the audio matrix to that HC-250?

Thanks!

J.

You're only limited by the number of outputs you have, so far as I understand it. An exception is Rhapsody, which last time I checked supported 5 simultaneous streams.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Your network will be the most limiting factor make sure to overcompensate to prevent any bottlenecks or band width issues. 

"Secondly - is the system smart enough to know that if two zones are sourcing individual tunein stations and let's say those streams come from the HC-800 and a third zone opts for a unique tunein station that one of the HC-250's should establish the stream and source the audio matrix to that HC-250?"

C4 will establish the best audio path determined by the room you are currently in. If you have controllers in each room the audio will come to the local controller. just keep in mind digitizes tvs locally will create a significant audio delay with Video/audio

Your network will be the most limiting factor make sure to overcompensate to prevent any bottlenecks or band width issues. 

"Secondly - is the system smart enough to know that if two zones are sourcing individual tunein stations and let's say those streams come from the HC-800 and a third zone opts for a unique tunein station that one of the HC-250's should establish the stream and source the audio matrix to that HC-250?"

C4 will establish the best audio path determined by the room you are currently in. If you have controllers in each room the audio will come to the local controller. just keep in mind digitizes tvs locally will create a significant audio delay with Video/audio

I appreciate all the help thus far!

My question about the system being smart enough to know how to source zones is more related to the number of streams than the location.  The remote HC-250's will actually home run their analog audio outputs back to the matrix located in my mechanical room.  I'm just hoping that if two unique streams are already being sourced from the HC-800 that the remote HC-250's will pick up the "slack".

They will. Mind you the 'generic' limit is often stated as 8 streams, though again this is due to limitations on the network more than anything else, there is no hard stop as such (other than the obvious number of outputs).

I've streamed up to 4 streams of tunein at the same time, though I don't recommend going over 3-4 at a time, but again that is network/internet speed limitation more than anything else.

I dont know if C4 will do the first two streams from the HC800 if i remember right it will just grab a stream from a controller and start playing I dont believe the hc 800 will be used first before using hc250s to stream

But to go back to the OPs second question, the Director will grab an unused stream from a controller and route it to the requred speakers and track the state of which HC stream is feeding which speakers through the audio matrix.

In database speak this is a many to many relationship not a 1-1 or a many-1 (though when you join zones it would be a 1-many).

Only the developers or trial and error would have you knowing which HC was selected first, second, third etc for each room and as posted above, and tested to at least 8 by some, it does not matter.

Now nobody has answered the highly theoretical, what happens when you select a 6th Rhapsody stream?

Archived