C4 Forums | Control4

Equipment in use block access

Announcement popups would be your best bet or changing colors on a switch/keypad (eww).  I tried this a long time ago but didn't like the functionality.  Again, it could've been my programming at the time, either way I scratched the idea.

I wish C4 would finally allow hot and cold states for buttons so that you at least have a visual representation as to what's being used.

Blackwire Design has an app that can limit access to each floor of your project.  You'd have to put the rooms that you want to block access to on different floors in the project.  For example we did this in a clubhouse/leasing office.  We put all the the leasing offices on one floor and all of the public areas on another floor.  This allowed them to lock to public areas, then unlock them when someone rented out the space.

How about this:

If Media-room cable box is on and is selected by another room play announcement "cable box is occupied please select another source" and bring up the navigation screen, is that feasible?

Announcement popups would be your best bet or changing colors on a switch/keypad (eww).  I tried this a long time ago but didn't like the functionality.  Again, it could've been my programming at the time, either way I scratched the idea.

I wish C4 would finally allow hot and cold states for buttons so that you at least have a visual representation as to what's being used.

I've used announcements for years now.  That would not help OP as nine yr. olds will do what they want.  Hot/cold states for buttons?  How the heck would that work?  SR-250 uses a cheesey display for devices- not buttons.

How about this:

If Media-room cable box is on and is selected by another room play announcement "cable box is occupied please select another source" and bring up the navigation screen, is that feasible?

See above post.

Sorry forget to answer the question.  This is very easy to do but you must be specific in what, where & how you want to do the block-

When CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE changes > if Room x Selected Video Device is x > Select the [source] as the video source in [room]

For example, you are watching cable box 1.  Kid is in another room selecting cable box 1.  If from a "cold start", throw kid onto cable box 2.  If switching from current source to your source, bounce kid back to initial (current) source.

I've used announcements for years now.  That would not help OP as nine yr. olds will do what they want.  Hot/cold states for buttons?  How the heck would that work?  SR-250 uses a cheesey display for devices- not buttons.

He responded before I clarified my problem, but his idea of announcements should work; as long as my son knows if the room is in use do not watch. In addition I can assign a keypad button to show if he is using the media room cable box.

For the MyHome apps or navigators (on-screen and TS's).  When you push a button, it gives you feedback that it was pushed.  With hot and cold states, the button could remain lit showing it is in use.  Now that I re-read the OP, this has nothing to do with what was asked.  My apologies!!

Sorry forget to answer the question.  This is very easy to do but you must be specific in what, where & how you want to do the block-

When CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE changes > if Room x Selected Video Device is x > Select the [source] as the video source in [room]

For example, you are watching cable box 1.  Kid is in another room selecting cable box 1.  If from a "cold start", throw kid onto cable box 2.  If switching from current source to your source, bounce kid back to initial (current) source.

I’ll give it a try.

Thanks

For the MyHome apps or navigators (on-screen and TS's).  When you push a button, it gives you feedback that it was pushed.  With hot and cold states, the button could remain lit showing it is in use.  Now that I re-read the OP, this has nothing to do with what was asked.  My apologies!!

It's NP as I assumed kid was using SR.  At any rate, I think he has enough info.

How much is the app? I'm trying to keep my 9 year old from watching movies that my wife and I are watching or from changing the channel.

It sounds like you need to limit control from an SR250 which that app would not do.  it only works for touchscreens/on screen navigators

Few years back (when the forum was jumping with useful HE programming info) there was discussion and various solutions.  Try searching and/or checking Dan's DIY site.

Will do.

I'm pretty sure I did a writeup on how to do this, with a little tweak. What I did was made it so the second person viewing couldn't hijack the controls and change the channel (or make other changes) on you. My kids were young enough at the time they didn't use the system. Now that they're older and DO use it, I need to improve on this functionality much like what you're doing.

I'll build in logic to let ME know when they select a source I might not want them to see, and then I will have a button that can kick them off. This way I can make the decision on the fly.

I'm pretty sure I did a writeup on how to do this, with a little tweak. What I did was made it so the second person viewing couldn't hijack the controls and change the channel (or make other changes) on you. My kids were young enough at the time they didn't use the system. Now that they're older and DO use it, I need to improve on this functionality much like what you're doing.

I'll build in logic to let ME know when they select a source I might not want them to see, and then I will have a button that can kick them off. This way I can make the decision on the fly.

Dan,

When do you plan on doing this?

:)

I don't know...I'm real time starved right now. It shouldn't take very long.

Are you just looking for some direction on how to accomplish it?

I was looking for ideas and hoping someone had done this before.

I think I have enough to give it a go.

Thanks

Assuming you're watching content that's inappropriate for the age group.....

1. Got an open input, rent another cable box.

or

2. Got an open input but renting a second box not the best option - install a component video switcher backwards between the box and your matrix.....

Cable box goes to new switcher to the output.

Input 1 of new switcher goes to your matrix same as now 'cable box', then input 2 goes to another input on your matrix, we'll call that one 'private'

Only set 'private' as a connection to the bedroom in composer.

When private is selected, add custom programming to switch new switcher to input 2

Anybody else trying to select 'cable box' now gets a blank screen

When bedroom powers off, set cable box to go to PBS, and set new switcher back to 1, now it's ready for others to use.

Archived