C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Remote Access Shenanigans

qVAMPIREp

Is anyone else using a VPN on their Android phones with 2.6 to remote access their systems, now finding that it no longer works except when using a WiFi connection? It appears that Control4 is trying to force 4Sight use on users. Please tell me I am wrong!

Is anyone else using a VPN on their Android phones with 2.6 to remote access their systems, now finding that it no longer works except when using a WiFi connection? It appears that Control4 is trying to force 4Sight use on users. Please tell me I am wrong!

delete your config. VPN in and reset it up

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

So I've tried this several different ways including first deleting the Nexus5 from my C4 device list. The App downloads and installs fine off my cell connection based VPN connection until it tries to connect to my system. It refuses to identify my controller unless I turn on the WiFi. I get a No WiFi/No RAS capability message. It will install and work fine until I turn off the WiFi. It works fine on my neighbours WiFi with my VPN turned on.

It seems to me that C4 has stopped non WiFi connections unless you have 4 Sight. If you turn off WiFi does your phone work on VPN without 4Sight?

Control4 has put no block on there - not sure they even really could without a LOT of effort - plus if it works over a different WiFi then your own, it's working fine as such. I'd look at your 3g/etc VPN setup itself.

The App downloads and installs fine off my cell connection based VPN connection

This means nothing - the app isn't downloading and installing over your VPN at all - just over your normal cellular connection.

Exactly WHAT does the app do when trying to authenticate/connect? ie what messages pop up.

Control4 has put no block on there - not sure they even really could without a LOT of effort - plus if it works over a different WiFi then your own, it's working fine as such. I'd look at your 3g/etc VPN setup itself.

This means nothing - the app isn't downloading and installing over your VPN at all - just over your normal cellular connection.

Exactly WHAT does the app do when trying to authenticate/connect? ie what messages pop up.

The VPN works fine and let's me connect to my system from outside WiFi systems such as at work as long as I'm on WiFi. The cell based connection does not work with 2.6. Here's the error message I get.

post-125439-0-71131400-1413634516_thumb.

Sorry my steps weren't clear. Try this. Delete your system from the app. Connect to VPN. Open control4 app. Add a new system. All while on VPN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tried that again. I deleted the system and adding a new one as you described and I get these messagespost-125439-0-86960900-1413634987_thumb.

post-125439-0-89953000-1413635010_thumb.

The VPN works fine and let's me connect to my system from outside WiFi systems such as at work as long as I'm on WiFi. The cell based connection does not work with 2.6. Here's the error message I get.

That just tells me the VPN works over WIFI - there may well be an issue with your VPN over cellular. Do you have other programs that use the VPN? If so have you tested trying THOSE on cellular only.

That message doesn't indicate a VPN problem IMHO. I am with vamp on c4 having poor logic in the app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No? Both messages indicate an inability to see the director at this time on your network. The VPN itself not working over cellular would cause that EXACT situation.

And yes the App as such would still be able to check your credentials as such as it can do this over the cellular data all by itself, not requiring to go through your system at all.

Try changing the IP address of your system in the app settings to something else. Try to connect and then change it back to the correct one. I've had luck with this before

This worked for me also.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

No issues with VPN access on 2.6 for me. Post details about your VPN

I am running the OpenVPN Client by colucci-web.it on my Nexus5 going to my Asus Rt-N66U running Merlin firmware and the ASUS DNS service. The connection has worked perfectly for all VPN access until I installed 2.6. The phone can see my network, cameras etc. over Cellular VPN access. MyHome only works when I'm on WiFi at home or VPN'd over WiFi from a remote connection such as work.

Ok, got it to finally take. I turned off WiFi, tried to connect anyway and it told me I can't connect. I closed the app, started my VPN and launched the app. This time it magically said I would pay extra for cellular data connections, I said ignor and the app works! This is one flakey piece of software that needs to be fixed. Having to mess with fake IP's, connecting when no viable connection exists etc. to reset something in the program is piss poor coding especially on such a key part of the apps functionality. At least it's just a major bug so that is a positive ;)

Archived