C4 Forums | Control4

New competitor to Control4

LSDave

How does it handle audio?  Video?  outdoor cameras? Door locks?  Blinds?  Wonder how it integrates with HVAC if it is just plugged into your outlet.  I can see a sensor on boarding giving you temps, but how would it talk to your thermostat?

A lot is left out, its a very pretty device for sure and it could be cool to help control lights, switches, etc (probably more expensive than a C4 multi button keypad) but not sure its competition to C4, Savant and full home automation people, unless I am missing something.  Seems to do lighting, some localized security monitoring, etc but do not see how it is controlling "everything" as a full solution can do.

I'm sure its control method is wifi (i.e. NEST), it makes no mention of any other on board standard control protocols. As for it being a competitor to Control4, C4 has enough trouble selling touchscreens as is. Again, the beauty that led me to C4 in 2006 was they manufactured all peripheral devices (dimmers, tstats). Integration of third party devices becomes troublesome to support if there are communication problems (especially ones that may auto-update). 

We've seen competitors who put all-in-one touchscreens / controllers in the location of the wall switch box.

Don't think they're around anymore.  Can't even remember who they were.  Maybe Colorado vNet did that.

Who wants a waist-high touchscreen?

RyanE

We've seen competitors who put all-in-one touchscreens / controllers in the location of the wall switch box.

Don't think they're around anymore.  Can't even remember who they were.  Maybe Colorado vNet did that.

Who wants a waist-high touchscreen?

RyanE

Agreed.  Also I imagine it would get annoying to turn lights off when you are in a rush.  Nothing like the feel of an actual switch.

Stay flexible people. Keep as much stuff as you can generic: particularly the stuff you like and what is cosmetically and functionally what you want to go with...

My 2 c: Right now C4 is the best "overall platform" no doubt about it.. right now I'd reckon it's the best bang for buck..

Lets hope it remains so...

But keep flexible folks.. it's a rapidly changing world out there..

Spend the money on what matters. Good cabling, good generics, good lighting, good hifi, crisp AV, reliable networking, good security, flexible control points..... 

Like it's been said around here already. First things considered: I don't believe people necessarily "buy platforms"....

Well not in my part of the world anyway. If they are considering HA, they put the platform "control" over the top of everything else.. 

..be it Harmony, Crestron, C4, Savant.. and who knows what in the future?? Apple? Google?? Smart Things??

Umbrela just looks like yet another "platform" to me.. . 

But right now C4 remains a pretty decent cost effective platform to roll over the top..

The purchase of Extravegetables and CA was a very clever move in this regard. Very smart. It made perfect sense. And IMHO indicates C4 is moving philosophically in the right direction.

But they are going to need to watch the HA space very carefully. And be prepared to change quickly if need be. I'm sure they are preparing to do so.. they are now a public company and will need to answer to shareholders.. they'd be crazy not to have a "plan B"..

So if/when the time comes: it will surely be their business interests to do just that! Move with times.. Shareholders are going to demand it.. or they'll lose their capital!

I'm on the cool aid so I have a new lease in life! Summer is here. Rock on C4. 

Have a good one. :)

Archived