C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI Matrix IR Connections

So check out this pic.  The ends on these IR wires are way to wide for how close together the ports are.

These wires came with the kit I purchased from my dealer.  This is a snap av matrix.  Clearly I'm not going to be able to get another one of these in there.

Has anyone seen this before and is SnapAV correcting the situation?

post-125430-0-53432100-1421093962_thumb.

I basically have this HDMI Matrix Kit from SnapAV.  To be fair these cables in the picture don't actually come with the Kit.  It doesn't supply any audio video cables, because with this kit you can go all HDMI or HDBASET you decide based on your runs and situation.  However my dealer did have us order these SnapAV cables for this kit.  

Here is the issue, I'm not going back to that dealer. quick side story.  That dealer was the only dealer I was allowed to work with during my very difficult home building process.  They(the builder) threw in this kit as a make good.  and by the end I had to order these cables through another party as they were dragging their feet after I moved in.  The whole thing was a total CF.

That said.  Luckily I had done my homework on the hardware and had them install shielded Cat6 as part of the overall design.  The matrix has performed flawlessly.  I have no complaints in that regard.  I just need to be able to set up more outputs.  Thus need to be able to plug in additional IR cables, and as you can see from the picture I cannot do that.  

I would really like to know if SnapAV can do right by me on this.  or if there is a cable with a different design that I can order.

First this isn't Snap's issue its the dealers for telling you to order them. Do these cables have flat sides or are they completely round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if it's snap's kit for the switch - yes it IS Snap's fault for a poor design.

If you look at snaps site these are the only 3.5 mono cables they offer although in different lengths.  The ends are round with a poor attempt at flat sides.  I've attempted to align those flats sides but it isn't enough.

I can't see how this wouldn't be Snap's issue.  I don't think a dealer can order anything different.  Let me restate.  They don't come with the kit.  The dealer just spec'd them with the kit.

I assume you are right, lippavisual.  I'll just have to find another place to get them.  

Well, if it's snap's kit for the switch - yes it IS Snap's fault for a poor design.

They don't have a "kit" for the matrix that includes these cables. Additionally the OP states this and that he was instructed to purchase these cables by his dealer.

While snap has not yet acknowledge that their mono cables may not fit dealers have noted it on Snaps website. So it's not an unknown problem and one his dealer should of been aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNAP markets these as "mono" or "stereo" mini cables. This refers to audio transfer. If your dealer sold them to you as "IR" cables specifically in writing, he should make good and supply you some that will fit, and you return those to him accordingly.

Fair enough.  As i already stated i'm not going back to that dealer not over something this minimal.  

Its fine. what can these cables cost?  I was just hoping that it was really just a case of wrong item and i could have someone help me get right ones.  

Not really trying to make a big deal, just really wanted to know Snaps stance and if they can help.  This is the only part of the matrix that I paid for so Im not mad about it.  I just want to get the right part.  

as always I appreciate everyone's input.

Yup - though you would think that someone from SnapAV, when designing the matrix, would go - hey how well does this work with the cables we sell too? And then see that it doesn't, and either change the spacing or those fat ends on the cables. As others have suggested you can get 3.5mm mono minis from amazon or monoprice or something and go about it that route, as long as it has a skinner connector on it. I've made them in a pinch out of two standard IR flashers.

• 1 month later...

Archived