C4 Forums | Control4

Steve problem playing movies...

ILoveC4

I've got an issue that has me completely stumped.

I have two popcorn hour a-410 media players. I use the Extra Vegetables drivers, and also use the Extra Vegetables My Movies driver. I can add movies just fine... Works great. The media player that is dedicated to the theater works great. I can select a movie from the C4 GUI and it works just like it should.

However, all of the sudden, the media player that is piped in to the matrix switch won't play movies selected from the C4 GUI. I can still control the media player with the C4 remote. I can navigate through the network browser on the media player and select the movie, and it plays. But when selected from the C4 GUI it just stays on the media player home screen.

The HDD in my firewall went belly up and I noticed this problem after. Firewall configuration is just as it was, and like I said - the media player is configured correctly because C4 can control it, and it has access to all the files on the NAS as they play when selected straight from the unit.

They're setup identically and one works, the other doesn't. Any thoughts on how to get it working? I'm celebrating Valentine's tonight and want to be able to command the media player to play a certain file, so I need to get this resolved. Any help is appreciated. Everything has been rebooted, etc... I'm at a complete loss.

Thanks in advance.

Steve was a typo. Password for the NAS hasn't changed, and it's addressed via IP.

The most perplexing thing to me is that one works and the other doesn't. There IS difference in configuration, other than the IP address is one digit different between the two.

The firewall went down, but no settings within C4 were changed. I'm thinking that the firewall going down was just a coincidence...I think this stopped working some time shortly AFTER.

Any thoughts?

IP conflict somewhere? sounds like you know the IP of the 'bad' box, take it's network out and ping the address...

cyknight, it's not an IP conflict. I can control the media player just fine...WITH CONTROL4! It just doesn't seem to respond to the "Play movie ..." command. AND it just started out of the blue.

Like I said, one movie share. Two identical media players. Both have worked perfectly for years. Suddenly one stops, while the other still works. I know it's communicating with C4, because C4 can control it!

cyknight, it's not an IP conflict. I can control the media player just fine...WITH CONTROL4! It just doesn't seem to respond to the "Play movie ..." command. AND it just started out of the blue.

Like I said, one movie share. Two identical media players. Both have worked perfectly for years. Suddenly one stops, while the other still works. I know it's communicating with C4, because C4 can control it!

Aye, but one part working one part not could still be IP conflict.

It's an odd problem though.

I'd try changing it's IP and re-id in system, next would be delete driver for player and re-add, just to eliminate oddities there.

It's a puzzling one though.

I have a popcorn hour and every few weeks it's stops working. I can control it with the remote but from my touchscreens and tv GUI it won't load the movie from the driver.

When I unplug the pch and plug it back in, all is well. Could be your problem too.

Jeff

Are you on the latest firmware ?, we had this issues a while back. 

Quick upgrade and all sorted. 

A400 PCH 

Last step was deleting the driver for the player and re-adding it. That fixed the problem.

So strange...can you think of any reason why that would that have to be done?

Several. All vague, could have happened anytime, anyplace - or never -  reasons.

Possibly the firewall rebuild messed with an identifier for the player, or in some last breath of protection started blocking a route...

Possibly the driver got corrupted if it was getting status updates when the firewall went down...

Possibly the system just decided to throw you under the bus on your big valentine night ;)

I can come up with some more theories but all of them are likely one-off flukes that will never happen again (at least from a user perspective in a single system).

I'd just be happy it's up and running.

I've now completely removed and readded the drivers and NFS for MyMovies, as well as the media player drivers.

The system won't play the movies when told to by C4. Neither Media Player will do it now. I can browse the network using the Media Player GUI and play the movies just fine. It just won't play them when commanded to do so by Control4. If anyone has any ideas as to what the source of this problem could be, I'm all ears. My frustration level is extremely high right now.

I can well imagine the frustration. My old 7000 changer started showing random Invalid disks not that long ago - and with it's built in memory it meant...well never mind. I understnad.

That said - have you tried adding a different network location - ie a temporoary link to you computer, load one movie on to it and try that movie - it would determine if we need to look at the players or the storage side of things.

Huge shout out to AK1, although it's a day late (I started watching movies!). He remoted in and was able to get to the bottom of things and get it back up and running quickly. While he was at it, he made a few changes to my DNS settings and boosted my home internet speed substantially! Andre (AK1) is the man!

Sounds like the original driver were trying to look for your old device ID and or IP .. The driver dosent look for device changes and update them .. You probably could have just did a re boot and it would have just received a new device ID

Sounds like the original driver were trying to look for your old device ID and or IP .. The driver dosent look for device changes and update them .. You probably could have just did a re boot and it would have just received a new device ID

I rebooted everything. This isn't my first rodeo. I just didn't have time to spend chasing it and knew Andre would get there more quickly anyways.

Archived