C4 Forums | Control4

Text and email alerts not working

I'm having the same issue.  Alerts to my email address arrive in my inbox but SMS messages to the Tmobile gateway address are no longer delivered.  This just stopped working over the last couple weeks.  Since other messages through the Tmobile SMS gateway are working, I'm guessing Tmobile is refusing the C4 messages for some reason.  Out of curiousity, I was checking the MX records and it looks like C4 is using Microsoft's Outlook.com mail service.  My company also uses that and messages from my office also don't get delivered either while my personal email (Gmail) doesn't have any issues.  It's likely something where Tmobile is blocking it.  Whatever the issue, I hope it resolves itself as I like the txt messaging option.

I've been having problems on 2.7.2 utilizing Prowl notifications (iPhone iOS).  Thinking about having all my notifications go through C4 push notifications but then I have to have 4sight forever but might be worth it.  Anyone else having issues?

I'm not sure what this means or how to do this... Cy, can you give some info on this option?

I believe he's saying that using 2.7 there are 'push notifications' built in using 4Sight and Agents so you can utilize this feature without having to use a driver.

I believe he's saying that using 2.7 there are 'push notifications' built in using 4Sight and Agents so you can utilize this feature without having to use a driver.

Still not sure what this means.  I use Composer and go under AGENTS, EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS, I make a notification, and when an event triggers the email is sent.  I'm not sure what more there is to do on my end

^ Exactly.

While push notifications aren't by default a replacement for text notifications, if, at theis time, for some reason your phone provider is not accepting emails from C4 (and/or others), this built in feature that sends push notifications to your app can certainly help (you could always do s short push and an email  at the same time for more details)

Still not sure what this means.  I use Composer and go under AGENTS, EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS, I make a notification, and when an event triggers the email is sent.  I'm not sure what more there is to do on my end

There is a separate agent for push notifications.

Do note that push notifications are sent to all app devices and can't be set to go to a specific phone case by case.

There is a separate agent for push notifications.

Do note that push notifications are sent to all app devices and can't be set to go to a specific phone case by case.

I'm using 2.7.2 software.  How can I utilize PUSH NOTIFICATIONS, or how do I program this in Composer that is different than the standard email notifications?  When I go under AGENTS I only see the standard EMAIL NOTIFICATION agent.  I don't see anything about PUSH NOTIFICATIONS.

Can you explain how PUSH NOTIFICATIONS work? 

I understand that standard email notification use Control4's email system to send but how do PUSH NOTIFICATIONS differ? 

Why not use these all the time?

How can I utilize PUSH NOTIFICATIONS, or how do I program this in Composer that is different than the standard email notifications?  Why not use these all the time???

You can use PUSH NOTIFICATIONS.  You need to first ADD this to the available options in Composer so it shows like your E-MAIL NOTIFICATION.  Program off of it as normal.

Maybe this will help: Link

Why not use these all the time? Well thats up to you. It's faily new so not as well known, that would be one point. The other is that Push notifications gets sends to ALL devices that are running the mobile app. So any single push notifications go to ALL phones, all the time (well those that have allowed push notifications). So you may not want to send that alert that your kid is leaving the house in the middle of the night that way, as he/she will get it as well and know you're watching....

Adding your device is a matter of getting the up to date app, making sure you accept the request to allow sending push notifications. No more no less would be required.

How does it work different? Well it works the same way ANY push notification works, it goes using the operating system, v using a sent email (and email to text centre)

I did find the area under AGENTS and added the PUSH NOTIFICATIONS.  However, in My Control4 account, my phone number is not listed as a device under MY DEVICES.  I do see my Android phone listed but that is associated with my Gmail account.  How can I add my text phone number?

its not a text, your phone number wont show up.  Your devices will.  you are pushing to devices, not a phone number

Got it... I just tried it out and indeed it works lightning fast.  Now to reconfigure all of my alerts so they go both ways when EVENTS are triggered just so I know I'm not missing any alerts!

It may - but it was already mentioned in this thread that someone's office email isn't working wither - the issue seems to lie more between outlook.com servers and t-mobile based on that post.

I'd follow up with t-mobile and ask the question there.

Archived