C4 Forums | Control4

Philips Hue Lights - EV driver presets

Sugar

My dealer installed a Philips Hue driver (by Extra Vegetables)
unfortunately storing and recalling lamp states doesn't work.

The driver can read all lamps colors and display their values in Composer HE.
I can hardcode those values in a macro and recall the colors.
This workaround takes a lot of time though, and I'd rather use the driver's native store and recall commands.

Does anybody know how to make it work?

My system:
HC800 Controller
C4 Software 2.7.2.34
Director Version 507704-res
Composer 2.7.2
Hue Bridge Model BSB001
Hue Bridge Firmware 01024156

I went through this a month ago or so you have to do it via programming. I talked to one of the main lighting driver guys and he confirmed it has to be done via programming you basically have to set scene up in hue then record each lights properties then put that into programming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, if that's the case, this would be a bummer.

But what about the device specific commands available through Composer to "store preset #" and "recall preset #".

They definitely "try to" do something, you can see a lot of LUA activity after you execute the commands, they just don't work...

• 1 month later...

I am thinking of replacing my LED rope lights with the HUE rope lighting.  Currently my LED lights are on a dimmer switch.

If I get a driver for the Philips HUE lighting strips, can I simply wire them into where the LED lights currently are? Then use my current switch to turn them on or off and the driver to change colors? Or do these need to be wired ON all the time and they turn off with a command to the lights themselves?  Just trying to understand how this works before I jump.

Thanks for any information you can share.

Bill

What cyknight said in programming you save the state when the light turns off but honestly I have found just leaving power to the load is the easiest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep - nice thing is mainly to just set the switch/dimmer on whenever you turn 'on' the HUE. I'd hide the C4 lightswitch itself.

• 1 year later...
On 11/10/2015 at 4:54 PM, TexasBill said:

I am thinking of replacing my LED rope lights with the HUE rope lighting.  Currently my LED lights are on a dimmer switch.

If I get a driver for the Philips HUE lighting strips, can I simply wire them into where the LED lights currently are? Then use my current switch to turn them on or off and the driver to change colors? Or do these need to be wired ON all the time and they turn off with a command to the lights themselves?  Just trying to understand how this works before I jump.

Thanks for any information you can share.

Bill

Where did u get the driver Bill?

If you do get a driver you might want to consider some generic light strips with the Dresden Elektronik Hue compatible controller.  The Hue lightstrips are crazy-expensive compared to generic RGB 5050 light strips that are about $10/5m strip.  Add the $50 Dresden controller and some amplifiers and you can run 25m of lights for about $125.

Ziba - you and I are in the same boat -

I need to know:

1. what driver should I get?

2. I would like to get the cheaper bridge and lights - but don't know where to get them and what to purchase... I need a recommendation.  I am replacing WHTE LED lighting (rope lighting) in the ceiling.

3. I am assuming that these plug into 110 volt? and that the wireless is then powered and controls the lighting?

Bill

Notice that I asked "IF I GET A DRIVER" . I never got one and don't know where to get one.

You get the driver from your dealer, just like every other C4 driver.  Talk to him and see what he suggests.  I am using the basic driver from C4 that is free, my understanding is that there are other drivers as well that may have more functionality

In terms of the LED light strips - go to Amazon or ebay and search for 5050 led light strips.  They have them in individual colors, RGB, and RGBW.   Most of the strips are 12V DC so you use some sort of a power supply which is not unlike any other modern tech toy.  The most basic controllers cost about $2 are IR controlled.  You can get Wifi controllers for about $15 or the Hue compatible controller that I mentioned for about $50.  Then if you want something more sophisticated you can get DMX controllers - there are threads here on them but they are more in the realm of professional theatrical lighting.  You can just buy the Philips Hue strips but they are about $80 for a 2m strip.  I don't understand why they only sell them in 2m strips as the cost of the LED strips seem to be de minimus.

Which was the waste - the hue strips or the older strips?  And what dimmer do you mean?  The C4 dimmer?  There are other ways to dim them, like the various types of controllers that I mentioned in the above thread.  But not all of these types of control work in C4, I actually control one strip using http commands and the Chowmain TCP driver.  So when I go to the web page http://myserver/cgi-bin/light_on.py it will turn on my lights.  But I have to run Apache on a Raspberry Pi to handle those http requests.

3 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Which was the waste - the hue strips or the older strips?  And what dimmer do you mean?  The C4 dimmer?  There are other ways to dim them, like the various types of controllers that I mentioned in the above thread.  But not all of these types of control work in C4, I actually control one strip using http commands and the Chowmain TCP driver.  So when I go to the web page http://myserver/cgi-bin/light_on.py it will turn on my lights.  But I have to run Apache on a Raspberry Pi to handle those http requests.

Dude that is beyond my pay scale lol. I would rather have expensive philips hue to get a c4 driver and integration. I am working with magnolia and those ass are telling me lutron radio ra is hit or miss with logitech and i have to go c4 route:(

The drivers that I was mentioning are the ones at Houselogix for the most part.  The DMX driver that I mentioned is the one by Domaudeo, the IR strip controller is the one by Chowmain, etc.  But it isn't 100% clear to me what their Hue driver gives you that the "free" C4 driver doesn't have.

@Ziba Ji That's not how Control4 works.  You can't install drivers on your own, you need a dealer to install the driver for you as it must be done from Composer Pro and end users are not allowed to have Composer Pro.  I don't like it either but that's their model.  And I believe the basic Hue driver is part of the core C4 install.

Archived