C4 Forums | Control4

Used Control4 hardware

Kingsley Ho

Hi, 

I am a newbie here and planning to setup Control4 myself during the renovation .

I saw eBay selling the controller for a lot cheaper, some are very cheap and some claim they have myhome license. 

My question is that do we need that license?

Is it hard to setup a 2 bedroom 4, 5 zones C4 suite with lighting , heating and locks (may be security) by myself ? IT person without control 4 knowledge but quick learner. 

Are all used control4 products can be reused? I just worry if I spent the money to get those on eBay and I can't use them because they have been used. 

Many thanks for answer my questions

You cannot program a system yourself - the required software is dealer only.

'license included' means that it has the built-in MyHome and Intercom License - intercom for C4 touchscreen communication, MyHome being the ability to use apps on android and iOS to control your system.

These licenses are NOT available separately - you'll need this on your main controller only)

There are restrictions on what controllers/touchscreens can still be used at all - and what they are able to do.

This is a software/firmware restriction - there is no 'block' on using used equipment.

'license included' means that it has the built-in MyHome and Intercom License - intercom for C4 touchscreen communication, MyHome being the ability to use apps on android and iOS to control your system.

These licenses are NOT available separately - you'll need this on your main controller only)

So basically getting one used without a BL-1 model number will never be able to use these features? Is the MyHome for the apps in general or the feature that lets you remote in from outside your house? Does the model with BL-1 usually cost more?

Hi, 

So if I bought used devices and can I ask dealer to update firmware so they can hook them up and program for me?

so in this stage, can I purchase all time used items such as controller, dimmer, fireplace switch, screen and remote first? and dealer will be able to update the software and firmware to make them work later?

by the way, is there a difference between a dimmer and forward phrase dimmer? i see their price difference is very big. 

You would want to engage a dealer. Likely buy the controller from them and hook in the other hardware.

The forward phase dimmer better handles led and other non incandescent loads.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

? There's forward phase dimmers (that's the new style) and adaptive phase dimmers (which are the one that can handle most load types).

Just 'dimmer' would be the previous generation (also a forward phase dimmer mind you - to finish the list, there's also ELV dimmers, also older generation and a reverse phase dimmer.

So basically getting one used without a BL-1 model number will never be able to use these features? Is the MyHome for the apps in general or the feature that lets you remote in from outside your house? Does the model with BL-1 usually cost more?

Yes it does - and yes it cost more for that reason.

This is for MyHome APP use (and intercom).

4Sight still exist and is a yearly subscription and (among other things) is what allows you to control your house REMOTELY (via a computer or your app - but for th app you need BOTH to do it remotely, no 4sight needed when at home)

If purchasing your first controller, make sure it comes with the licenses (BL-1) so you can use mobile devices - iPhone, iPads, Android, etc.  Additional controllers don't need it but your primary controller should have it.  

Keep in mind, if you purchase a HC250-BL-1 and an HC800 that doesn't have the licenses, the HC250 will be your primary controller.  You want the HC800 to be the primary controller because it's much more powerful.

4Sight is a separate purchase that allows remote access and notifications.  You will also need to purchase Composer HE to do the programming after a dealer sets everything up.  Good luck

Thanks, my dealer said once they programmed it for me, they wont tell me the password and I dont feel good about it since I paid for the hardware and service, and I own the devices, why can't I have the password? in that case, can I purchase the used controller HC250-BL-1 with home license and purchase Composer Home edition so i can program the system myself?

Thanks, my dealer said once they programmed it for me, they wont tell me the password and I dont feel good about it since I paid for the hardware and service, and I own the devices, why can't I have the password? in that case, can I purchase the used controller HC250-BL-1 with home license and purchase Composer Home edition so i can program the system myself?

Thats odd they won't tell you the system password.  ComposerHE won't allow you to setup the system, but after all the devices are added and connected with Composer Pro, ComposerHE it will allow you to change settings and program in actions.  

Thats odd they won't tell you the system password.  ComposerHE won't allow you to setup the system, but after all the devices are added and connected with Composer Pro, ComposerHE it will allow you to change settings and program in actions.  

It's non-sense. System password can be set to default (without clearing the project) at any time if you have access to the hard-ware (which obviously the owner has).

Also - not sure if HE would work without you knowing the password?

It's non-sense. System password can be set to default (without clearing the project) at any time if you have access to the hard-ware (which obviously the owner has).

Also - not sure if HE would work without you knowing the password?

didn't know you could reset it w/o c4 intervention.  And I think HE asks for the password every time you connect to your controller if one is set.  

KHO if your dealer wont tell you the password he isnt much of a dealer. Makes me think he will try to hold your system hostage sometime. Ask him if he would mind if you wrote him a check, but dont sign it.

Archived