C4 Forums | Control4

Lights not dimming

I have 4 can lights in my family room on a C4 dimmer. All worked great with the normal incondent bulbs. I replaced them with dimmable LED bulbs and now the lights are either on 100% of off. I like to have the lights on but at about 30% while watching TV, I don't like a dark room. And i have it programed that when I pause the DVR the lights go to 100% then when I push play the go back to 30%. Now it's only 100% and they will not dim with the switch on the wall either.

Are all bulbs not compatible with C4?

I had some issues a while back when i started switching to LED with certain (less expensive non brand name) bulbs on my first gen dimmers, once i found a brand that worked well i have stuck with them and have had zero issues. the brand I use solely now is Philips and I have a preference to the day-light (white light) dimmable bulbs available at homedepot.

may be worth while picking one up and seeing if it makes any difference.

Might do some searches here, lots of discussions about LED bulbs that work for people.  Also you don't say if you have the new dimmers or not and what brand of LEDs you used.  Kind of hard to offer much help.  It could be a programming issue though, but doubtful if you aren't getting any dimming at all.

The method for Dimming LEDs is different than the method used for dimming things like Incandescent light bulbs. First of all, LEDs are powered by DC voltages. Incandescent bulbs are powered by AC voltages. This fundamental difference leads to different methods for dimming.

You should ask your lighting dealer what type of dimmer the light source requires, and you should ask your dimmer dealer what type of dimming method your device provides. You can get LED bulbs/light sources that will work with a dimmer designed for Incandescent bulbs, but you must know what you are looking for. Some light sources are not dimmable, and should not be used with a dimmer for safety reasons.

To answer your question, no. Not all bulbs are compatible with your dimmer. But, C4 provides a Lighting Compatibility chart that shows you which types of lights your dimmer works with. http://www.control4.com/lighting_compatibility

Good luck!

I have the old dimmers not the new ones. I do have a lot of led bulbs in the house and all on C4 dimmers and they all work great. Like I said the dimmers work with the old bulbs just not with these new ones. But I did make sure they were dim able bulbs. So then my guess is that these particular bulbs are not compatible with C4 dimmers, or at least not the older ones. It's cheaper to buy 4 new bulbs that do work then to buy a new dimmer from C4. I have used multiple brands of led's too and these are the first ones that don't work right. I did buy them at Home Depot too.

Archived