C4 Forums | Control4

Houselogix need to be sold to C4!

I am not C4 guru like you all, just want to figure out a solution for my home system.  I had my home wired for putting in a Honeywell Ademco Vista 128 system before we closed our wall during remodel.  At the same time, I was planning to put in a C4 system which hopes to have the security system integration into C4.  At this end stage, my C4 vendor did all music, thermo, garage door but has not been able to do the integration for security system.  As a result, I only have one alarm panel in my house but two other C4 panels by the doors do not control alarm.  Vendor told me that he doesn't know how to do integration but can research. It's been two weeks but no positive results.  I am not tech savy and barely understand the terminology in this forum. What advise do you have for me?  Should I start from scratch and hire another C4 vendor but where can I find him/her?  I am in LA area.  Your thoughts are welcome.

By the 4232 bcm module and use the Control4 driver. Pretty simple to setup

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I seem to have missed most of this thread somehow...

I like the feature set of the ecobee thermostat the most, so it's what I installed in my house. That said, the ecobee 3 regularly sells for under $200. When the driver for this thermostat costs the dealer as much as it does, it's difficult to justify buying it for my own project, let alone trying to sell this to a customer.

It almost makes me want to start getting into the advanced features of DriverEditor to build my own. I get why some drivers (like chowmain's) cost over $100, but this is just a few API calls.

I would agree - but it is something that I would integrate given a reasonable price....but for now the Rachio app will do! (and do it better than if it were integrated)

Isn't this also a bit set and forget. Not a thing you would want to interact with regularly. Though I imagine notifications on a touch screen would be kinds neat for about 20 minutes.

"today it rained and the sprinklers did not operate"

Isn't this also a bit set and forget. Not a thing you would want to interact with regularly. Though I imagine notifications on a touch screen would be kinds neat for about 20 minutes.

I agree. That's why I don't worry about it

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

On 5/8/2016 at 11:09 AM, SMHarman said:

I have an IrrigationCaddy and I use it occasionally, but I am happy to use the IC web UI or app.  I don't really know why I would want to integrate it into C4.  I do adjust the irrigation occasionally if my grass is getting brown, which can happen in the middle of the summer.

In terms of some of the other broader issues (and this has been discussed ad infinitum) - I disagree that the implications of the dealer model are obvious to the end user when they buy the system.  When I had my system installed about 8 years ago I knew that a dealer was required to add hardware.  But I thought that meant adding something like wiring in a physical light switch in the wall - not changing the model of your DVD player.  And this has gotten worse worth the proliferation of smart devices.  If I want to add a Hue light bulb to my system I need to have a dealer add it to my system?  Really?

But I thought that meant adding something like wiring in a physical light switch in the wall - not changing the model of your DVD player.  And this has gotten worse worth the proliferation of smart devices.  If I want to add a Hue light bulb to my system I need to have a dealer add it to my system?  Really?

When you look at pro vs home it's the same software with a locked out menu. Even the driver Db loads though you can't do anything with it.

You'd need a rewrite to split that menu and even then it's not gonna take long for Joe to mess things up.

I suppose if you force 4 sight so the dealer had a cloud backup to Repair from but still.

Obviously we have been through this a thousand times and the solution is to let power users buy ComposerPro for an additional fee and they are on the hook for paying for repairs if they hose their system.  There are likely a large number power users who have, or have had, ComposerPro at one time or another and didn't screw things up.

But it isn't rocket science to add a Hue driver and a few lights into the system.  Or an outlet wireless dimmer switch and related lights or devices.

Obviously we have been through this a thousand times and the solution is to let power users buy ComposerPro for an additional fee and they are on the hook for paying for repairs if they hose their system.  There are likely a large number power users who have, or have had, ComposerPro at one time or another and didn't screw things up.

But it isn't rocket science to add a Hue driver and a few lights into the system.  Or an outlet wireless dimmer switch and related lights or devices.

I know. It would need to tie to a system Mac address or something.

Anyway it was more an idle thought that cloud backup also saves skin.

55 minutes ago, zaphod said:

There are likely a large number power users who have, or have had, ComposerPro at one time or another and didn't screw things up.

It's not even likely a high number of users have had Composer Pro at one time or another, much less likely that they both had it and didn't screw things up.

I have to say, that while I haven't read most of this thread that when we pay for these drivers we are also paying for the tech support, the updates, and the fact that the market just isn't there for the developers. I dough any of them are really making millions off of these drivers. Yeah, it may suck that some don't really care once you've paid but we live and learn and like any industry there KIA's and there are Bentley's. I dont really see C4 buying any of these guys any time soon.

Archived