C4 Forums | Control4

New to upgrade embernet devices

I'm hoping I can find a remote dealer to downgrade an hc300 from 2.6 to 1.7 - 2.5 so I can upgrade 20 devices from embernet to pro. 

Anyone able to help? 

That went away? I know my controller on 2.8.2 took a miniappEd switch and finished the job.

As of software version 2.6, Embernet upgrades are no longer possible. As of the HC250/HC800 generation, there is no embernet radio in the controllers anymore - thus those controllers cannot connect to devices on Embernet

That said, OP is correct that the HC300 CAN be used to update Embernet devices, and the software CAN be restored to 2.5.3 (or earlier, but not safely pre 2.2) and do so to update those devices.

3 hours ago, SMHarman said:

That went away? I know my controller on 2.8.2 took a miniappEd switch and finished the job.

Once on miniApp the device IS on ZigbeePro, thus even on 2.8.2 those devices can be connected and will update.

this is just a pain of a process, is it possible, yes, it just takes time and likely the time to do really erases any savings in cheap hardware.  Plus the zigbee radio just isn't as good on these older switches.

So I downgraded the controller to 2.5.3 and it seems like the zigbee radio is shot in it now. :( 

In my case I have about 35 keypads that need updated.  So it's still cheaper to upgrade them. 

Just now, C4RVA said:

it seems like the zigbee radio is shot in it now.

how did you determine that? Do you know how to do the embernet upgrade?  the downgrade shouldn't impact the radio...

Once you are on 2.5.3 and using Pro 2.5.3 you go to network and you want to put your system in embernet upgrade mode, you will see it flash the radio to embernet and it will show that - then you can start the upgrade to mini-app mode.

Correct. I'm familiar with the process and used to work for a dealer. 

Composer gives me an error that states the radio can not change state right now. I also can not identify and Zigbee devices that are already pro. The controller shows offline in the zigbee network.  I've tried restoring to 2.5 and then USB updating to 2.5.3 thinking that might trigger a firmware flash for radio. 

So far no good. probably will eBay a 200 or 300 and try again. 

Archived