C4 Forums | Control4

How do I control TVs in multiple zones and one controller?

colo77bronco

I am looking at getting the entire C4-NHS-130 system and I am wondering how you control a bedroom TV without having to walk to the LCD on the wall. I was told the on-screen GUI only works with the TV that the controller is dedicated to. So does each room need it's own controller? That could make my 12 zone system rediculously expensive and put me back in the market for a Crestron system.

C4 recommends a controller per TV. However multiple monitors can share the navigator of one controller. Example, my bedroom and office are on the same controllers navigator, because I would not be using the navigator screen on both at the same time. In actuality you may never run into a situation were the navigator is needed on two monitors at once, I mean how often are you actually on the navigator other than to select a source real quick?

Another option would be to wait for the HC200 to come out. It is more affordable and created to solve the issue your talking about. It is supposed to start shipping next month. It is also small enough to be mounted behind a flat screen.

Just as an addition to this thread...couldn't the TV output on the HC300 be fed into a matrix, along with all the other AV devices, and then the navigator could be viewed on all screens in the home couldn't they? A hand remote in each room could bring the TV on-screen navigator up and then switch that to whatever room they are currently in. Long-winded I know - but is it possible?

Definately possible, do it all the time, but it comes with a cost. If you only have one navigator interface that is on the matrix, then if 2 people try to call it up at the same time, they fight for the interface.

Agreed, that's the only downside. But if you're never "calling" the navigator to use the interface at the same time it's not an issue.

Definately possible' date=' do it all the time, but it comes with a cost. If you only have one navigator interface that is on the matrix, then if 2 people try to call it up at the same time, they fight for the interface.[/quote']

Agreed, that's the only downside. But if you're never "calling" the navigator to use the interface at the same time it's not an issue.

I have a controller for each of my 5 TV's - sadly, we never use the on-screen navigator - always use the remote. With the 7" coming out, I know I will never use the on-screen navigator.

There are other advantages to locating smaller, inexpensive controllers near TV's than the on-screen.

* Local Zigbee Server

* Local IR and Serial connections

* Local Audio encoding input

At the price of the HC-200, it's a lot of local control possibilities on top of a dedicated on-screen device. It may not be the right thing in every situation, and many systems will work fine sharing on-screen devices, it *is* right in a lot of situations.

RyanE

You can buy HTCs on Ebay now for $100.

Not really worth spending $500+ for each TV to get a UI. Now that the HC200 HC300 HC500 HC 1000 are out......you will be able to buy all the HTCs u want for less than $75.............Go look on EBAY!!!:cool:

/ducking from dealers

http://cgi.ebay.com/Control4-home-theater-controller_W0QQitemZ330266401298QQihZ014QQcategoryZ50583QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"There are other advantages to locating smaller, inexpensive controllers near TV's than the on-screen."

Hmmm - you guys are so more advanced into the home automation market than we are here in dear old blighty and we are still trying to go down the 'hidden wires' route and most companies are pushing that line. Having said that, if the HC200s really are small enough to fit behind a TV then I suppose that gets round the hidden wires problem. Just a shame that we pay in Sterling what you pay in Dollars.

Ryan - I don't suppose you know if there is a development in the pipeline to build wall switches that fit UK back boxes? ;-)

Garry: Can't help you with lighting issues... Sorry. ;-)

takitezsdc: I was unaware that the HTC put out a HD signal... :) It's somewhat of an apples and oranges comparison. The processor speed on the HC200 is also quite a bit faster than the HTC. My beta of it has been pretty impressive.

That said, if you want to drop HTCs behind your TV, go for it. HTCs are awesome!

RyanE

Garry: Can't help you with lighting issues... Sorry. ;-)

takitezsdc: I was unaware that the HTC put out a HD signal... :) It's somewhat of an apples and oranges comparison. The processor speed on the HC200 is also quite a bit faster than the HTC. My beta of it has been pretty impressive.

That said, if you want to drop HTCs behind your TV, go for it. HTCs are awesome!

RyanE

Lol Ryan, come now my friend. The only reason you need a HD signal is for the UI. That is a nice feature but $500 for an HD UI? Not worth it.............IMO

My HTC's run only 1 seconds slower than my HC300, until C4 fixes the 1.6 speed bug....... its not worth the $. IMO

As far as i see it.......the only reason the HC300 and H200 are better........is Rhapsody. Having at least ONE HC in your project is a must for that reason only........for now.

I have 7 TVs in my home. There is no way even if I was a multi millionaire I would spend $4900 JUST so i can get a HD UI.......and if anyone pays that.......they are wasting their money!!!

I am SO happy that C4 came out with the new versions of controlers.......now I have a very cheap way to get UIs on all my TVs !!! EBAY!!! /smile muhahahah

cracks me up - I dont want to see a UI - I want to use a 1 button macro to run my programming! thats why I bought C4 in the 1st place. When they make a hi-def 1080p DVD changer maybe I'll change my mind...

As for rhapsody - I just use the Dish audio channels and voila I have digital music and a DJ ;)

As for rhapsody - I just use the Dish audio channels and voila I have digital music and a DJ ;)

Have you seen/used the rhapsody interface? You may change your mind.

No I havent sorry I was being a bit flip :) I need to look into it since everyone raves about it so much. Just been busy trying to get my (2nd) new vizio 42" LCD installed since the 1st plasma had a dead pixel and with only 1 HDMI out from the Denon looks like it will be a component connection. blah.

You should give it a shot. C4 did an excellent job integrating it. I'm not one to usually pay for things like this, but after using it, it's got me sold. Over 3 million songs right at your fingertips, search functions, dynamic channel creations, top tracks, music channels, public playlists, and more... If you have someone over you can ask them what they like and be streaming it through the house in 30 seconds or so, or create a channel of like artists to continuously DJ for you. Needless to say... I likes it.

Archived