C4 Forums | Control4

Navigate and play my iTunes library on Control4?

Nyted

I have a HC-250, a 4 zone matrix amp, and an iMac with an iTunes library. I want to be able to navigate through my iTunes music library from the C4 toucphpads, and select/play a track, playlist or album in whatever zones I want. How do I connect Control4 to my iTunes library? Are there multiple ways to do this?

• 1 year later...
On 9/8/2016 at 2:42 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

The driver you are looking for is iTunes/AirPlay version 100 (iTunes.c4z) it replaced the ExtraVeg_iTunes.c4i.

I am using it with iTunes on my Mac Mini and it works fine other than a couple of bugs on the Movies side which can be worked around although hopefully one day C4 fixes them!

Are these bugs still around, and if so, what are the bugs? I have a rather large (DRM-ed) iTunes movie library. I have a dedicated always on PC, and an AppleTV.  My goal is to have the movies in my iTunes library in Watch->Movies with cover art, etc. Select a movie and it starts playing.  Will the bugs prevent this from working?

28 minutes ago, livitup said:

Are these bugs still around, and if so, what are the bugs? I have a rather large (DRM-ed) iTunes movie library. I have a dedicated always on PC, and an AppleTV.  My goal is to have the movies in my iTunes library in Watch->Movies with cover art, etc. Select a movie and it starts playing.  Will the bugs prevent this from working?

It depends...

I posted a fairly lengthy write up on this a year or so back. I will see if I can find it later on and post a link to the topic.

As I recall, you can get this to work (some tricks needed if I remember correctly) the way you want IF it is the only source you have for movies in Watch->Movies. However, if you have another source (e.g. A Dune reading from a NAS) then you can't get this to work through the Watch->Movies menu although you can get it to work via the iTunes menu. Not quite as nice an interface (list rather than cover art etc.).

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

It depends...

I posted a fairly lengthy write up on this a year or so back. I will see if I can find it later on and post a link to the topic.

As I recall, you can get this to work (some tricks needed if I remember correctly) the way you want IF it is the only source you have for movies in Watch->Movies. However, if you have another source (e.g. A Dune reading from a NAS) then you can't get this to work through the Watch->Movies menu although you can get it to work via the iTunes menu. Not quite as nice an interface (list rather than cover art etc.).

Do you mean this one? 

If so, I think I can live within those "limitations" in order to get poster art, play/pause/timeline in the c4 app.

9 hours ago, jfh said:

In order to use this you need a Mac or PC running iTunes, right?  It doesn't connect to Apple?

As MS says, this is correct.  However, you don't need to necessarily actively manage the Mac or PC. For instance, I have my Mac hidden away in the theatre and it is setup to download anything my wife adds to her Apple Music library on her iPad. The effect is that she will add stuff on her iPad via Apple Music and shortly thereafter (I have never checked how quick this is), it appears on the Mac and thus is available via the iTunes driver.

Archived