C4 Forums | Control4

Native Z-Wave Support

therockhr

5 hours ago, mmueller3485 said:

Maybe I'm mistaken but the EV driver isn't specifically for Vera. So, does this update improve that driver? Does this update improve anything for the HC-800 and Z-wave?

P.S., a form is for asking questions and gaining understanding NO REASON to get frustrated :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm not frustrated - I was just emphasizing that these drivers have nothing to do with Vera - and in fact the 'EV' driver IS specific to Vera.

While if the available devices grow (significantly) it may eliminate the NEED for Vera eventually, the new Zwave option as such simply has nothing to do with, and thus has no direct influence of any kind on Vera integration.

If you look at the list of supported drivers, this appears to me more a fill the zigbee gap of products, than a change in direction or increase in support.

Wall outlets, appliance modules, water sensor, window sensor, siren.

23 minutes ago, RAV said:

If you look at the list of supported drivers, this appears to me more a fill the zigbee gap of products, than a change in direction or increase in support.

Wall outlets, appliance modules, water sensor, window sensor, siren.

I'd still expect to see it expanded, not to mention that they HAVE stated their intend is to open it up to 3rd party development down the line. Not sure what 'change in direction' you were expecting to see? Drop ZigBee? - not likely. There's been alternatives (including drivers developed by C4) for 'alternatives' to heir own devices for ages (in lighting, but also outlets) - so it's not as if they've been running an overly aggressive 'monopoly' at all? Plus included are also normal contact sensors for windows and doors that have existing alternatives already. Don't forget that C4 still sells their own outlet dimmer and switch - where there are now also available zwave alternatives.

It would make SENSE to start with devices that primarily fill in things that weren't 'easily' accesible - vs adding 'more of the same' already available via C4 or 3rd party (Nyce or Axxess).

I CAN tell you this all works exceptionally well - the integration has been flawless in all respects for me.

Oh and that water sensor is GREAT - it can be used as a flood alert, but also as a LOW water alert (Aquaria, tanks, etc). Fantastic little piece by Aeotec.

Please help my understanding on why Z-Wave seems to be a big deal to many:

Is it because there are devices that are totally unique to Z-Wave that there are no Zigbee Pro alternatives for?

Is it mainly for users that had a lot of Z-Wave before jumping into Control4?

Or is it because there is no Control4 proprietary Z-Wave stack like there is for Zigbee Pro, therefore making hardware less expensive?  (no matter how you cut it, it seems like the fact you can't use just any Zigbee Pro equipment makes prices significantly higher)

I'm not sure it would be significantly higher - but probably higher yes.

I'd think it's a bit of all three.

Cost is one for sure. A lot of ZWave devices are cheap (though that goes for the quality of some of them at the same time).

Then there's people that have existing setups - particularly the 'tinkerers' and those that had some 'off the shelf' integrator do some stuff (or security installer add some stuff). Or a Wink setup...you get the idea.Same as people may have other lighting alternatives.

And yes, to have more options - built-in outlets are one example.

As far as the current implementation goes, the 'per-existing' is not helped by this (yet) due to the limited initial roll-out of devices - it's not likely you have (just) those devices installed.

As for being a 'big deal' - well that will depend on your situation, and is in general too early to tell. I can tell you I never really voiced a desire for this to exist as such, but I have no problem having options (in-wall outlet control especially is nice to have) available. Assuming it works well - which it does seem to do.

My biggest worry is the relative security weakness of the more open ZWave technology - I certainly wouldn't care to do (as in recommend and supply and install myself - taking responsibility - at least) locks at this point in time for example.

15 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Cost is one for sure. A lot of ZWave devices are cheap (though that goes for the quality of some of them at the same time).

Then there's people that have existing setups - particularly the 'tinkerers' and those that had some 'off the shelf' integrator do some stuff (or security installer add some stuff). Or a Wink setup...you get the idea.Same as people may have other lighting alternatives.

And yes, to have more options - built-in outlets are one example.

I think this combined with the way CardAccess has seemed to die on the vine makes me wonder what the long term strategy is.  I see PakEdge being pushed and CardAccess ignored, and useful CardAccess devices being discontinued...

The mesh in Z-Wave tends to be more robust and much better at healing when devices are removed for whatever reason or change location in the home.

Also Z-Wave being 900Mhz has less interference and better penetration through building materials.

Another key thing about Z-Wave is devices can work on their own once added to the mesh, an example would be triggering a lighting scene in a Z-Wave mesh can happen without a controller.  So if a button was programmed on the wall on a Z-Wave scene controller in can trigger another device/or devices to go to some predetermined level (scene) without having another device coordinate that.

Pull the plug on director and see what happens to all the keypads.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for raising an old thread, but I just couldn't let this stand. I've had zwave in two houses for over 6 years. Most of the stuff works most of the time. Nowhere near as reliable as all the c4 stuff I have. Random stuff just doesn't get the word (oh look, that light just didn't turn off today), quits working (I replace lamp modules every few months) or never worked (hsm100 anyone?)

Zigbee C4 stuff is always instant response, just works.

Ymmv, but that's my experience. I can't wait until all my zwave stuff is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived