C4 Forums | Control4

Wiring relay to garage door opener

neil12011

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

motors need to go to relays - there are many solutions to achieve this

sensors go to contact sensors - so right now you have it all wired to contact sensors on 800?

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "motor", because I really meant to refer to my garage door opener.  The opener is only a few years old.  Are the terminals on the back of the opener a relay of some type?  That's where the current wiring goes for the garage door button and I believe there are some extra terminals available.  Please forgive me if I'm not using the right terminology; I'm clueless with this stuff.

I don't have anything connected to the HC-800 right now, but the wiring is there and waiting.  I haven't used the green connectors that came with my HC-800 for anything and was hoping that's where these would come into play.

Thanks again!

7 minutes ago, burowyako said:

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "motor", because I really meant to refer to my garage door opener.  The opener is only a few years old.  Are the terminals on the back of the opener a relay of some type?  That's where the current wiring goes for the garage door button and I believe there are some extra terminals available.  Please forgive me if I'm not using the right terminology; I'm clueless with this stuff.

I don't have anything connected to the HC-800 right now, but the wiring is there and waiting.  I haven't used the green connectors that came with my HC-800 for anything and was hoping that's where these would come into play.

Thanks again!

The "relay" simply closes the connection, or simulates the pushing of the garage door button.  You need a relay to automate the pushing of the button.  The relay would get connected to the terminals on your garage door opener the same as a garage door opener button would be connected.

The contact closure sensors tell you if the door is open or closed.

There's a driver for Garage Doors that says "sensor" on it.  That driver allows you to connect the sensor and the relay to the garage door, and then within the Control4 UI, it tells you if the door is open / closed, plus allows you to momentarily close the relay to operate the door...

2 hours ago, dw886 said:

The "relay" simply closes the connection, or simulates the pushing of the garage door button.  You need a relay to automate the pushing of the button.  The relay would get connected to the terminals on your garage door opener the same as a garage door opener button would be connected.

The contact closure sensors tell you if the door is open or closed.

There's a driver for Garage Doors that says "sensor" on it.  That driver allows you to connect the sensor and the relay to the garage door, and then within the Control4 UI, it tells you if the door is open / closed, plus allows you to momentarily close the relay to operate the door...

Thank you for your input.

Am I correct that I don't need any other hardware?  If not, any tips on how to actually wire this into the HC-800?

I haven't looked at the connectors that came with the HC-800 so please bear with me.  Would I wire one of the wires for the garage door opener to the COM and the other to the NO?  For the contact, one wire to the +12V and the other to the SIG?

image.png.81862c70dada6f50c958dcef71eb4006.png

Thank you for your input.
Am I correct that I don't need any other hardware?  If not, any tips on how to actually wire this into the HC-800?
I haven't looked at the connectors that came with the HC-800 so please bear with me.  Would I wire one of the wires for the garage door opener to the COM and the other to the NO?  For the contact, one wire to the +12V and the other to the SIG?

image.png.81862c70dada6f50c958dcef71eb4006.png
According to the manual, your sensors would connect to Sig and 12v assuming it's not a self-powered sensor.

As for the relay, you'd use the Normally Open and Common (assuming that the voltage going through your garage door sensors is within the acceptable range for the Hc800 - you should test this at the garage door with a multimeter to make sure it's low voltage and within the specs of what the Hc800 can handle so you don't fry anything).
40c3c6e85e9661109690381d4e28ac52.jpga9b1181e2aad0c55ba2b9d250bc79686.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, dw886 said:

According to the manual, your sensors would connect to Sig and 12v assuming it's not a self-powered sensor.

As for the relay, you'd use the Normally Open and Common (assuming that the voltage going through your garage door sensors is within the acceptable range for the Hc800 - you should test this at the garage door with a multimeter to make sure it's low voltage and within the specs of what the Hc800 can handle so you don't fry anything).
40c3c6e85e9661109690381d4e28ac52.jpga9b1181e2aad0c55ba2b9d250bc79686.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thank you very much!  Sorry for having to point out something that's in the manual.  I'll have to see if I can find a copy, but I'd still need help with the translation since I don't know much of anything about relays.

I'll give it a go tonight or tomorrow.  Thanks again!

I was able to get everything wired and programmed last weekend.  Though it isn't anything crazy, being able to open/close the garage door and see the door's status through Control4 is exactly what I was after.  Thank you to everyone for the help that was provided!

Now I'm curious if I can do a bit more now that I have the garage doors connected to the Control4 system.  I have a two-car garage and a third-car garage, and each side has its own bank of lights that are controlled by a Control4 dimmer.

One of the things that I don't like about my garage is there isn't much light that comes from the garage door openers when we pull our vehicles in at night.  My initial thought was to program the lights to come on if it's night and if one of the garage doors opens.  This would be useful for the following scenarios:

1. Coming home from being out and having plenty of light when we pull the vehicles in.
  2. Coming home from a walk at night and entering through the garage.

However, now that I've had this functionality in place for a few days, it isn't ideal in the following scenarios:

1. Leaving the house through the garage.  Generally, opening the garage door is one of the first things we do when we go in the garage.  If the lights automatically turn on, we need to turn them off either by the switch or through the Control4 app after we have left the garage.  My thought is that if I have to go to the light switch anyway, I'd might as well not have anything programmed to automatically turn on.
  2. Trying to quickly leave the house - the throw your shoes on, pop the door and go scenario.

Control4 is doing exactly what I have programmed it to do, but I'm trying to figure out how to address the different scenarios the best I can.  I'm not sure exactly what I'm after, but I'm curious if anybody else has played with this type of thing.  Any help and ideas are appreciated!

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

motion sensors?

This. ☝️  I have one of these in my garage, and it's basically on a 20-minute count-down timer that resets each time there's motion.  If there's no motion for 20 minutes, it turns off the lights.  This fixes the issue of when someone (spouse / kids / etc) turns on all 9 banks of lights, and then leaves the garage.

The other way that I accomplish this is via the alarm panel.  So when leaving the house, when the alarm exit delay completes, Control4 kills the lights.  This gives a person enough time to set the alarm, get out the door and into the car, and then while you're driving away, the lights are shut off for you.  This prevents the lights from being on for 20 minutes after I leave, but #1 above would be a fallback.

Archived