C4 Forums | Control4

Holy Batman. I think I'm suffering a DOS attack (edit was actually mDNS?)

Yes you could run a controller or controller+essentials on it's own vlan and switch. This at least partially shields it from any errors or incompatible traffic outside of the VLAN.

Is it common practice? No, not at all. It creates an overly complex setup with a lot of potential human error/setup error locations - and is normally completely overdone. Can also severely limit functionality, and is expensive as heck within residential terms (even for multi-million dollar houses).

The only time I've done it is in a major C4 system in a major corporation's network - well to be fair, I guided their IT department to do it. The very fact that I'm talking 'department' vs 'person' sort of hints at the scale of there networking here.

I would assume this is done in hospitality setups - but we don't do any so can't tell you for sure.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mDNS doesn't generally take a network down, however, if a device is abusing multicast, or if you have your switch set to broadcast mDNS packets across multiple subnets (not many do this) then that can cause floods. 

depending on the switching platform you use, storm control could keep this to a minimum and is applied per port

Ok. It has just crashed again. And this time I was a witness to it happening.

It happened when I was trying to upload firmware on a Vigor 800AP. And the network sprang back to life when I powered up and down a small set of devices on a switch daisy chained off the main switch...one of which is my QNAP that I have been running these latest two mDNS music servers.. (which have been added in the last 1-2weeks. Roon and Asset UPnP)   There was a clear cause and effect here... trying to add firmware to AP...network crashed. Removing AP off line.. Network still down. Router rebooted Network still down. Sub area with QNAP repowered.... bingo network sprung to life within 10-20 secs... 

Roon has been off. So that is not the problem. Asset UPnP has now been turned off....we shall see how stable things are with that off as well..... 

I run a Vigor 2380n Router. This time I have had IGMP snooping off all along, so clearly that was not the issue.. . 

I run ALL unmanaged switches now..Been doing that for couple years, because I know unmanaged is the way to go... found out the hard way with that in early Sonos days.....I run  Cisco SG100's 2 x24 and 1x 16. And LinkSYS 2 x8 So I doubt they are the problem?? 

Can wireshark be applied retrospectively? 

35 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

*AND* it's relevant to control4 and you guys I might add..

The only reason I added Asset UPnP was because this is one of the few UPnP DLNA music servers that works with Denon Heos.... 

no, it's not really relevant to control4, it's ancillary related.  But your problems are not a control4 problem.

no, it's not really relevant to control4, it's ancillary related.  But your problems are not a control4 problem.

Like heck it's not relevant to control4! EAch time the network crashes the HC800 throws a dummy spit and goes off line and my zigbee network crashes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Wapp, is Upnp open on your router ? 

We have always been advised to have this turned off - due to possible security risks. 

GAzza ol sport.. When you say "UPnP is open on the Router".. what do you mean? Do you mean UPnP is open on the WAN  side of the Modem? Or do you mean UPnP service box is enabled inside the LAN on the router ?.... 

Archived