C4 Forums | Control4

Latest Router recommendation???

C4Newbie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would advise against the dlink 655 as it currently don’t work with any control4 dual transport devices. (ie. amp, switch, tuner)

The Linksys wrvs4400n is an awesome router and one which is highly recommended. Yes the reviews are bad, but if you look up any router they’ll be bad reviews about it somewhere.

I would advise against the dlink 655 as it currently don’t work with any control4 dual transport devices. (ie. amp, switch, tuner)

This would be extremely odd, please elaborate...what is it that makes a router not work with amps and tuners?

I had a Linksys router in my system to begin with, but I had to hard boot it everyday because it was loosing it's connection. I switched the Linksys for a D-Link Dir-655 and it works perfectly and has great range. I've got a C4 amp, many switches/dimmers and no issues with the Dir-655!

With the latest version of the 655 firmware it will not id the dual transport devices via ip, if its identified zigbee then its not attached to the network ip, so it will work via zigbee.

Which version of Linksys did you have? Wait.. Let me guess 54g? A 20-40 dollar router?

:)

If you purchase a cheap router, then expect a lot of issues within your network.

I have seen the wrvs4400n on multiple projects and I can tell you this one is the way to go…

With the latest version of the 655 firmware it will not id the dual transport devices via ip, if its identified zigbee then its not attached to the network ip, so it will work via zigbee.

You're confusing 2 different technologies.

Your DIR-655 router is running wired Ethernet and also 802.11[a|b|g|n] wireless protocols, the latter do not apply to amps and tuners , the devices you used as examples. Which leaves us with wired Ethernet. So, the tuner will get a DHCP address via wired Ethernet and this has absolutely nothing to do with 802.15 (zigbee) identification and is not affected by your wired router's (any router's) firmware version.

Care to attempt to explain again?

Go to the front of the tuner, switch, or amp and select network (on the front panel) is there not an option for zigbee?

If so, what is that for?

I am obviously confusing technology, but what’s really weird is I am currently controlling mine via zigbee and not hardwired.

Must be the 802.15 technology somewhere :)

What?

I think he's trying to say that there's a DHCP negotiation prob on the wired connections but god knows how zigbee fits into all of this. I give up, :cool:.

Back to the topic, I've always had success on my installs with Cisco (not linksys Cisco, Cisco Cisco) aironet and pakedge products for wireless access, complimented by any decent current router. And Sonicwalls for isolation of non-secure wireless devices, such as the WEP C4 stuff, older Airpanels for a diff home control product etc).

for what uses is a wireless router needed? if i go with just a 300 as a controller, with the only real functions being contolling lighting and HT, do i need a new wireless router? i have an old linksys right now, but he said it would not work very well . . .

Touchpanels are wi-fi. Wi-fi speakerpoints.

Not all touch panels are wifi. There are wifi and Ethernet versions of both the 3.5 and 10 inch panels. The 7 inch is only available in Ethernet at this time. You don't really need a router at all if you only want to control lighting and a HT.

Touchpanels are wi-fi. Wi-fi speakerpoints.

Not all touch panels are wifi. There are wifi and Ethernet versions of both the 3.5 and 10 inch panels. The 7 inch is only available in Ethernet at this time. You don't really need a router at all if you only want to control lighting and a HT.

Well yeah, I meant to say that there are some versions of those products that are wifi, those are the first two that came to mind :)

I too use the wrt54g with ddwrt firmware. Works great, no "network" hiccups to speak of, and I have used the dlink 655 and we had a few problems with C4 products. I wouldn't use a wrt for a customers home, maybe something more robust, but it does work great in my own home.

FYI:

1) It voids the warranty

2) We've had a few DD-WRT boxes crash after about two years. Linksys is cheap hardware - keep that in mind... cheap hardware means cheap parts, which means they tend to burn out a lot faster!

I wouldn't use a wrt for a customers home, maybe something more robust, but it does work great in my own home.

I 2nd that!!! If it's for your own test lab / training center - sure... but if it's for a customer - NO WAY!!!

I wouldn't use a wrt for a customers home' date=' maybe something more robust, but it does work great in my own home.[/quote']

I 2nd that!!! If it's for your own test lab / training center - sure... but if it's for a customer - NO WAY!!!

Are you referring to WRT as the linksys hardware itself, or the DD-WRT firmware? I dont see what the issue would be in using the DD-WRT firmware, seems like it simply gives you more options on the home networking side.

Someone mentioned the wrvs4400n above, but the reviews on it are among the worst Ive seen:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=wrvs4400n&oe=utf-8&safe=active&cid=412841952975453347#ps-reviews|start=10

Contrast with:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=DIR-655&btnG=Search&show=dd&safe=active&cid=10559226302427731422#ps-reviews

Given, some of the people are reporting issues here with C4, but the ones that havent had problems have simply assigned static IPs, correct?

Archived