C4 Forums | Control4

Oppo UDP-203 First Impressions

ejn1

• 1 month later...

Same reason some receivers are 2 times or more the price of others even though there 'specs' for power and inputs may be the same, luxury cars are more than standard hatchbacks or sedans and one restaurant is more expensive than the next.

Because it's better, with increase in video quality and especially sound. Because it has features others do not (yet) add. I'm sure a google search will give you plenty of comparison info there.

If it's WORTH it is up to you to decide. It's more because it's a better product. If you value the increase in quality to equal or more than the increase in cost, it's worth it.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

Any particular reason why the Oppo is about 2X the price of the Sammy or Sony 4K BR players?  Is it worth it?

Because it is the best piece on the market.  Is a ferrari worth it?  are BW speakers worth it?

Just wanted to make sure that it was in fact a better quality product.  I was not very familiar with the Oppo brand name.  It appears that they have a very good reputation for building players.

3 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Just wanted to make sure that it was in fact a better quality product.  I was not very familiar with the Oppo brand name.  It appears that they have a very good reputation for building players.

It is the undisputed champ imho...

2 minutes ago, zaphod said:

It is interesting that they are a Chinese brand coming into the market at the high end.  What other Chinese brands can you think of that have done that?  DJI in drones maybe.

I have an audiophile DAC and preamp made by Auralic and its from China and the build quality is unreal not to mention sound.     CHI-Fi is starting to make some real in-roads.   As for Oppo, I would not consider them a Chinese brand.

I was going from the description on Wikipedia which says:  "OPPO Electronics Corp. is a Chinese electronics manufacturer based in Dongguan, Guangdong. Its major product lines include smartphones, Blu-ray players and other electronic devices."

5 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I was going from the description on Wikipedia which says:  "OPPO Electronics Corp. is a Chinese electronics manufacturer based in Dongguan, Guangdong. Its major product lines include smartphones, Blu-ray players and other electronic devices."

You must be right but I'm wondering if that is a recent acquisition or has that always been the case.   I have always talked to a US team in the past when I had questions on my gear.

11 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I think they have an office in California as well.

I'm not positive but I think Oppo Digital (DVDs, headphones,, etc) is a bit different than the Oppo side that makes smartphones.   I don't know if completely different spin offs or all one company but when you search for Oppo China, it only brings up the phone side of the house.   I don't believe Oppo Digital even has a location in China.   I'm sure someone knows for sure the distinction if any on this site.

One of the reasons I use Oppo exclusively with anamorphic projector installations is because it's the only player I know that can move subtitles up into the picture. Without this capability, subtitles would not be visible in anamorphic mode.

Archived