C4 Forums | Control4

Control for Fujitsu Wall Mount AC unit?

I'm adding a ductless wall mounted air handler to a room we're building out in my attic.  We're currently installing C4 new tstats for the rest of the house.  I'm wondering if there's a way I can control this new Fujitsu via C4?  Or, is there another similar unit we should install that we could control? 

The model is Fujitsu ASU18RLF. 

Thanks

We finished a condo in Puerto Rico last year that had 7 split type AC units throughout. Since the original ones were put in by the developer 8 years prior and not continuously run, they were in bad shape and needed replaced, and I wanted to use a model that worked the best with a third party control system. The Fujitsu models were recommended by the HVAC people, but I couldn't find any interface (other than IR) to control these.

I found that most of the new Mitsubishi Mr. Slim models can use a module that plugs into the main board to give a control interface for any standard thermostat. We went with 2 different Mitsubishi models that support this (different sizes for different size rooms) after we found a contractor who does Mitsubishi AC.

I haven't integrated the thermostat interface modules yet, but plan to soon along with basic wifi thermostats that can all be tucked away under the outer cover. It's not the cheapest option (the interface modules are pricy), but I think it is the best option for these types of AC units for true 2-way feedback.

Mitsubishi models used:

MSY-GE15NA and MSY-GE24NA

Mitsubishi interface module:

PAC-US444CN-1

1 hour ago, jerrywolf said:

We finished a condo in Puerto Rico last year that had 7 split type AC units throughout. Since the original ones were put in by the developer 8 years prior and not continuously run, they were in bad shape and needed replaced, and I wanted to use a model that worked the best with a third party control system. The Fujitsu models were recommended by the HVAC people, but I couldn't find any interface (other than IR) to control these.

I found that most of the new Mitsubishi Mr. Slim models can use a module that plugs into the main board to give a control interface for any standard thermostat. We went with 2 different Mitsubishi models that support this (different sizes for different size rooms) after we found a contractor who does Mitsubishi AC.

I haven't integrated the thermostat interface modules yet, but plan to soon along with basic wifi thermostats that can all be tucked away under the outer cover. It's not the cheapest option (the interface modules are pricy), but I think it is the best option for these types of AC units for true 2-way feedback.

Mitsubishi models used:

PAC-US444CN-1

Hey thats cool.  You can use it to convert to honeywell standard.  Add a Control4 thermostat to it and you're good to go.

Intesis have a specific model for the Mitsubishi Slim unit which provides two way control / feedback.  A bit late for you but for others reading here it is.

https://www.intesisbox.com/intesis/support/compatibilities/IntesisBox_ME-AC-xxx-1_AC_Compatibility.pdf?v=1487086947

1 hour ago, alanchow said:

Hey thats cool.  You can use it to convert to honeywell standard.  Add a Control4 thermostat to it and you're good to go.

Intesis have a specific model for the Mitsubishi Slim unit which provides two way control / feedback.  A bit late for you but for others reading here it is.

https://www.intesisbox.com/intesis/support/compatibilities/IntesisBox_ME-AC-xxx-1_AC_Compatibility.pdf?v=1487086947

So would I get the IntesisBox instead of the Mitsubishi interface module?

1 minute ago, C4Newbie said:

So would I get the IntesisBox instead of the Mitsubishi interface module?

The mitsubishi interface won't work with your system considering you have a fujitsu system.

Contact intesis support to double check that their module works with your model first prior to purchase just in case.  They are happy to field these enquiries (HVAC integration is their thing).

9 minutes ago, alanchow said:

The mitsubishi interface won't work with your system considering you have a fujitsu system.

Contact intesis support to double check that their module works with your model first prior to purchase just in case.  They are happy to field these enquiries (HVAC integration is their thing).

We haven't purchased the Fujitsu yet. Sounds like you'd recommend the Mitsubishi?  Would I also need to purchase a C4 driver from you as well?

8 minutes ago, C4Newbie said:

We haven't purchased the Fujitsu yet. Sounds like you'd recommend the Mitsubishi?  Would I also need to purchase a C4 driver from you as well?

Nope.  Quite the opposite. @jerrywolf's solution requires you buy two modules.  the Mitsubishi module and the Control4 thermostat.  Ends up becoming quite expensive doing it that way.

Check out the intesisbox.com website for a full range of compatible HVAC systems.  They have integration to quite alot.  They could probably recommend a system for you since you haven't chosen one yet.

4 hours ago, jerrywolf said:

Mitsubishi models used:

PAC-US444CN-1

With the Mitsubishi and their native module, you can use any standard thermostat, as mentioned. 

This looks like an awesome solution, along with chowmain's IntesisBox driver. It would eliminate the need for a separate thermostat, which is nice. I'm definitely going to try one of these.

@alanchow does this provide temperature feedback from the Mitsubishi's onboard temperature sensor or does it use its own?

3 minutes ago, jerrywolf said:

This looks like an awesome solution, along with chowmain's IntesisBox driver. It would eliminate the need for a separate thermostat, which is nice. I'm definitely going to try one of these.

@alanchow does this provide temperature feedback from the Mitsubishi's onboard temperature sensor or does it use its own?

I'm not sure to be honest.  I know it does have temperature feedback and they say it has bidirectional control/feedback but don't understand the internals myself.  I'd ask Intesis support.

I'm not sure to be honest.  I know it does have temperature feedback and they say it has bidirectional control/feedback but don't understand the internals myself.  I'd ask Intesis support.

No worries - I'll do that. It would make this even better if it does.

On 4/2/2017 at 7:44 PM, alanchow said:

Turns out my HVAC guy has had bad experiences with Intesis and prefers to stick with Fujitsu M#ASU15RLS3Y.  From what I gather online, it's a wifi until - http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/us/residential/products/split/wall/rls3y-series/asu15rls3y.html.  Would I then just need to add your driver to control it from C4?

25 minutes ago, C4Newbie said:

Turns out my HVAC guy has had bad experiences with Intesis and prefers to stick with Fujitsu M#ASU15RLS3Y.  From what I gather online, it's a wifi until - http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/us/residential/products/split/wall/rls3y-series/asu15rls3y.html.  Would I then just need to add your driver to control it from C4?

Nope it will not work.  The IntesisBox driver is developed for IntesisBox units.

• 1 month later...

Everybody around here uses Mitsubishi Mr. Slim units.  I've finally got enough data to realize my Geo is not sized large enough even with zones after my addition, and my ductwork is a disaster.  I have two zones I need to move to ductless.  What are others experiences with IntesisBox?  I'm guessing my guys around here won't know anything about them, so @C4Newbie's comment has me concerned.

I don't want to go through another summer with outrageous bills, so I'm going to put this on the fast track.

One more thing, with the Chowmain driver, can I take my existing C4 Thermostats that are currently on 2 of my 6 zones for my Geo (and wired into the Geo controllers) and force them to talk to the IntesisBox interface instead?  From my understanding the IntesisBox is all Wifi so how does that work?

8 hours ago, turls said:

Everybody around here uses Mitsubishi Mr. Slim units.  I've finally got enough data to realize my Geo is not sized large enough even with zones after my addition, and my ductwork is a disaster.  I have two zones I need to move to ductless.  What are others experiences with IntesisBox?  I'm guessing my guys around here won't know anything about them, so @C4Newbie's comment has me concerned.

I don't want to go through another summer with outrageous bills, so I'm going to put this on the fast track.

The uptake on the IntesisBox driver has been going nuts since we launched it.  If you would like i can recommend a Chowmain dealer who can help install the driver and get Intesis to recommend a recommended HVAC installer who can install the HVAC system and IntesisBox.  That way theres no guess work.

7 hours ago, turls said:

One more thing, with the Chowmain driver, can I take my existing C4 Thermostats that are currently on 2 of my 6 zones for my Geo (and wired into the Geo controllers) and force them to talk to the IntesisBox interface instead?  From my understanding the IntesisBox is all Wifi so how does that work?

Thats not how it works.  The IntesisBox provides information back to our driver and our driver reconfigures itself to match your HVAC system.  It will add the available modes, fan speeds, setpoint limits and vane control configuration.  Alot of these options are not available in the Control4 Thermostat.

If you really must you could program the thermostat to send commands to the driver and vice versa but i personally don't think this would be a great experience.

Cool Automation's CoolMasterNet seems to work pretty well.  After a little configuration it even includes the ability to control every room of a multi-zone system remotely with a mobile app.  Integration is really easy and the driver can be pulled in via SDDP.  So far I've done it with one Mitsubishi Electric Multi-City system with 7 zones and two water heater zones.  I'm about to do it on a similar 12 Zone ME system in a week or so.  The MNet bus hooks up to a specific set of terminals and then communicates with C4 via Ethernet.  It's a breeze compared to some of these serial to 485 interfaces some systems have.  This CoolMasterNet can be configured for Fujitsu, Daikin as well as just about any other Comm Bus controlled units.  For the typical T-stat replacement, just use C4 or Nest TStats.

https://coolautomation.com/

3 hours ago, FaraDayLight said:

Cool Automation's CoolMasterNet seems to work pretty well.  After a little configuration it even includes the ability to control every room of a multi-zone system remotely with a mobile app.  Integration is really easy and the driver can be pulled in via SDDP.  So far I've done it with one Mitsubishi Electric Multi-City system with 7 zones and two water heater zones.  I'm about to do it on a similar 12 Zone ME system in a week or so.  The MNet bus hooks up to a specific set of terminals and then communicates with C4 via Ethernet.  It's a breeze compared to some of these serial to 485 interfaces some systems have.  This CoolMasterNet can be configured for Fujitsu, Daikin as well as just about any other Comm Bus controlled units.  For the typical T-stat replacement, just use C4 or Nest TStats.

https://coolautomation.com/

Yep.  Coolmaster works great.  Only problem is that doe smaller HVAC systems if costs about 5x the Intesis solution.

Hi Allan,

wondering if if your solution is just for wall mounted or can we use it for ducted.

we have a ducted daikin that I would like to integrate into c4 with hopefully a temp sensor so that I can have one sensor upstairs and one downstairs.

regards

7 hours ago, Froggy1976 said:

Hi Allan,

wondering if if your solution is just for wall mounted or can we use it for ducted.

we have a ducted daikin that I would like to integrate into c4 with hopefully a temp sensor so that I can have one sensor upstairs and one downstairs.

regards

Yep ducted and cassette based daikin work as well.  Contact Intesis to double check which model IntesisBox you need for the unit.

alternaticely our daikin skyfi driver will also work. The hardware can be retrofitted into daikin ducted and cassette based systems back dated to 2008.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.