C4 Forums | Control4

Routers

Booth1

hey man, I'm not the only one who uses them. Alan Chow uses them too, so don't hate...congratulate :) Seriously, this is only on my home system for "testing" they work great for small setups, but I wouldn't dream of putting one in a customers home to be the backbone of an automation system. But for lab testing, you can't beat them with ddwrt. That's right, I pwn with a 39 dollar router, with 10k of automation. :)

I would like to upgrade my router I am presently using a dlink dr 655 is there a better one to use that is much faster

I would go with the 4400n also. I recently changed out my entire network with the help of Bryan at the Soho shop. Basically, my original dealer had put some cheap Linksys one's in and I cannot believe the improvement in performance. C4 tech support recommends the 4400n. I also swapped out my switches (they had stacked 3-5 port switches on top of each other with a 16 port gigabit switch). As all have said you cannot skimp on the backbone of the entire system.

Lastly, the final upgrade will be 3 - 2000 VA UPS' one for the HC1000 and 300 in the utility room, one for the 500 in the great room and one for the 300 in the family room. Basically you want ups on the main controller, router and zigbee servers. I can't believe I missed this on my initial install as I am a tech guy, but a recent brownout helped me to see the light. The best $2K I ever spent (routers, WAP's, wiring, and UPS').

Neil, I should kick you.

Lol, agreed. ;)

I can see it now, Cale: "No, Mr. Smith, your wrt54g can not be used in our installation we do not support it."

Mr.Smith: "But Neil on the forums said he uses it!! And hes a Dealer!!"

Cale: Mutters to himself "Dam it Neil." Lol.

I would like to upgrade my router I am presently using a dlink dr 655 is there a better one to use that is much faster

I would go with the 4400n also. I recently changed out my entire network with the help of Bryan at the Soho shop. Basically' date=' my original dealer had put some cheap Linksys one's in and I cannot believe the improvement in performance. C4 tech support recommends the 4400n. I also swapped out my switches (they had stacked 3-5 port switches on top of each other with a 16 port gigabit switch). As all have said you cannot skimp on the backbone of the entire system.

Lastly, the final upgrade will be 3 - 2000 VA UPS' one for the HC1000 and 300 in the utility room, one for the 500 in the great room and one for the 300 in the family room. Basically you want ups on the main controller, router and zigbee servers. I can't believe I missed this on my initial install as I am a tech guy, but a recent brownout helped me to see the light. The best $2K I ever spent (routers, WAP's, wiring, and UPS').[/quote']

Another successful story on the wrvs4400n :)

i disagree with using the WRVS4400N unless you have a small project

if your project is even semi larger ( a few controllers and you are using rhapsody etc ) i highly recommend getting the Linksys RV042 and using a WAP4400N or some other access point for your wireless needs..

My system is being designed with a Netgear FVS114 router and Netgear FS116 switch along with the dealers custom wireless MESH access points. I inquired about using the WRVS4400N wireless N gigabit router with a gigabit switch and was told that they have used these Netgear products in all of their installs and haven't had any problems. Has anyone used these Netgear products or have any thoughts on using them?

i disagree with using the WRVS4400N unless you have a small project

if your project is even semi larger ( a few controllers and you are using rhapsody etc ) i highly recommend getting the Linksys RV042 and using a WAP4400N or some other access point for your wireless needs..

You disagree about everything.

My project is fairly large, and works well with this router.

Alright, I'm getting closer to understanding this, I think. At my request, we are changing to a gigabit structure. They are going with a Netgear WNR854T router and a Netgear JGS516 switch and a Netgear GS108 switch. My dealer thinks that there is great love for the 4400n here because of its wireless capabilities, but we're not going to need that because of their custom wireless MESH points which have much greater wireless capabilities.

Does this make sense to you guys?

The description is "Custom wireless MESH access point. 8000 sq. ft. coverage POE." They make the units themselves. There is going to be one in the attic and one on the terrace level. In addition to being an automation dealer, they have been doing security systems for nearly 30 years and were doing networking as well. They are very network oriented and say that their units are far and away better than any traditional consumer wireless devices.

Code,

All legitimate points. I have talked to several of their customers and all seem happy with them. As for warranty, you never know how long someone is going to be around....just look at the trouble GM is having. But what they do have going for them is that they were first a security company and have 28 years worth of monitoring customers that can keep the company going even through lean times...

I probably should have started my own thread about this as it looks like everyone is just passing over the routers thread thinking it is a dead horse :( ....but if anyone else should stop by this thread, I'd enjoy hearing thoughts on this router and switch if anyone has experience with them.

Whatever your choice, you'll be much better off using a small business or commercial grade router than a consumer grade router. Also, for wireless use devices outside of the router that runs your network. Individual access points will work much better than using the wireless built into the router, and will be one less thing the router needs to do, which will lead to more stability.

There are tons of choices out there, we typically use Sonicwall and Watchguard, others use Cisco, still others use Linksys routers with DD-WRT firmware. Personally, I prefer products built to run commercial applications, not a consumer grade piece that's upgraded with new firmware but again that's just my preference.

Thanks for all the advice I am going with wrvs4400n, With all that help any suggestions on a switch I have been looking at the Linksys - SR216 - 16-Port 10/100 Network Switch let me know your comments or is there some thing you would recomend

Thanks

Someone reccomended to me the 3com 3C1670500B-US. They no longer are available. I bought a 3C1670500C-US instead and have yet to get it and install it. Keep in mind that all this HD streaming sounds great but you wont get Master Audio quaility and you wont get BD quality.

Archived