C4 Forums | Control4

Eero Router

JenReilly

Question

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 hours ago, koxkp said:

VPN was the one I was referring to. Are you able to do this via GUI now? I haven't checked for new firmware recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VPN was added to the GUI some time ago, when the UniFi was branched from the tough line it was very difficult to get some basic features.  I'd say for about a year and a half all the standard router functions have been in the GUI. There is no perfect product, I like how they are working to rapidly add features.

1 hour ago, dcovach said:

Too much over exposure.  Everyone will think it's hype, even if C4 likes some Asus routers.

I think you are missing the point and getting way too defensive.  What you type as your opinion seems contradictory to what you are saying you install.

You want the opinion of a few dealers here, move on from ASUS as a router.  I would suggest UniFi, others Pakedge, Araknis, Luxul, Cisco, Linksys.  Something besides what you are using, there are much better solutions for the same price as what you say you are providing now or marginally more.

My experience since going UniFi only, zero failures in the field on a few dozen systems, just one DOA 48port switch that was old stock and an known bad batch number that I had a direct replacement sent from Ubiquiti the next day.  All gear works out of the box with default settings, you have the full power to do just about any advanced feature needed.  Updates are robust and frequent.  I'm sure you can get opinions like this about many other brands.  But consumer gear shouldn't be used if you are providing the network.  On a single room system, could you get away with an ASUS sure, it's better then an ISP Router.  But with the amount of devices in peoples homes nowadays, very little consumer gear can handle that kind of network load.

Now as for your comment on my intention of asking questions due to any previous commotion.  If someone asks you, or in general questions about the topic you are posting in and why your opinion is such, the intention is to get answers, to better understand the situation or reasoning.  I'll be honest I could careless what you use, I'm asking because I want to know why you use what you do.  You come across from your answers or lack of here as having no real reason, that's how I see it and my impression is at least one other on here may get a hint of that feeling to.

1 hour ago, THEORY said:

I think you are missing the point and getting way too defensive.  What you type as your opinion seems contradictory to what you are saying you install.

You want the opinion of a few dealers here, move on from ASUS as a router.  I would suggest UniFi, others Pakedge, Araknis, Luxul, Cisco, Linksys.  Something besides what you are using, there are much better solutions for the same price as what you say you are providing now or marginally more.

My experience since going UniFi only, zero failures in the field on a few dozen systems, just one DOA 48port switch that was old stock and an known bad batch number that I had a direct replacement sent from Ubiquiti the next day.  All gear works out of the box with default settings, you have the full power to do just about any advanced feature needed.  Updates are robust and frequent.  I'm sure you can get opinions like this about many other brands.  But consumer gear shouldn't be used if you are providing the network.  On a single room system, could you get away with an ASUS sure, it's better then an ISP Router.  But with the amount of devices in peoples homes nowadays, very little consumer gear can handle that kind of network load.

Now as for your comment on my intention of asking questions due to any previous commotion.  If someone asks you, or in general questions about the topic you are posting in and why your opinion is such, the intention is to get answers, to better understand the situation or reasoning.  I'll be honest I could careless what you use, I'm asking because I want to know why you use what you do.  You come across from your answers or lack of here as having no real reason, that's how I see it and my impression is at least one other on here may get a hint of that feeling to.

OH MY.

Lets be friends, seriously, but not on facebook.  We've never actually met.  By the way, I'm calm (as usual, in case that's another question you have).  Why are we still talking about this?  Why have you filled your last post with general networking knowledge, competing remarks, and paranoid assumptions towards me?  Do you really need the last word?  I'm not the one who started the thread.  @JenReilly makes 1 post and the thread is hijacked shortly after you arrive.   Do you always need to rally your friends to help you tame any 1 person who causes you to have an emotion ?  Are you still upset that I asked a question on another thread that you didn't like or are you generally this annoying to most?  Can I apologize here or does it make a difference?  Is there anything I can do to help you sell your drivers?  Do you need a compliment?   Recognition?  Sure... I think you're very knowledgeable.  Can I endorse you?  Is anyone else from your group going to search me on LinkedIn?  Do you have any more relevant questions about any specific router/model that you can't find out for yourself in a google search?  Do you need any networking help?  Am I going too far?  I'm trying to figure out why you need to know what else I use.   It doesn't really make sense why you care so much when you say you don't care.  Does it really bother you that I don't answer all your questions fully?  If so, please accept my full apology as we might have this whole thing all wrong about each other.  We really should go for a beer.... or send me a PM.  We're not off to the right start....

3 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Thats a MoCA Network Adapter.  We have some experience but not much.  Only have used them several times in a pinch.  If we need a wire somewhere, we get it there.

I'm reading a kb article and this was mentioned.  It's meant to be requested by the customer and it replaces the fios modem/router combo so that a separate router can be connected to this adapter.   No configuration required, other than by the tv service provider.

That's a different way of hooking up Verizon service from the ONT.  I forget the URL, but there is a page that shows all the different setup configs with Verizon service and also lists the pros and cons of them.

I've tried every single one of them and the only stable way to do it is how I listed it above.  Every other configuration, you lose some functionality somewhere or an update from Verizon resets all your configs.

My company is not the sort to constantly keep refreshing a network because the ISP pushes updates, nor will my company be the blame for them.  So we've standardized on our method and it has worked flawless for us for the past 6-8 months. 

13 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

That's a different way of hooking up Verizon service from the ONT.  I forget the URL, but there is a page that shows all the different setup configs with Verizon service and also lists the pros and cons of them.

I've tried every single one of them and the only stable way to do it is how I listed it above.  Every other configuration, you lose some functionality somewhere or an update from Verizon resets all your configs.

My company is not the sort to constantly keep refreshing a network because the ISP pushes updates, nor will my company be the blame for them.  So we've standardized on our method and it has worked flawless for us for the past 6-8 months. 

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

That is the chart that shows the 9 ways to configure

I tried #8 and fell a bit short to get remote access to the apps and DVR box. 

@lippavisual which method did you describe from the list on that URL?

3 hours ago, THEORY said:

I worked with a dealer over a year ago that did this and said everything was good after.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/simplify-fios-dump-actiontec-and-use-your-own-router/

i have mine setup behind my Uverse Gigapower modem/Router and just put my Uverse on a different subnet address than my router.  This router behind router setup has worked fine.   Not sure if any similarities with Verizon but just thought I would share.

19 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

I think I tried to help you with this when you posted back then.

For Verizon installs, plug your router into one of the LAN ports on the Verizon router.  Your router's WAN should be on DHCP or automatic, whatever its called in the GUI.

Then go into Verizon GUI and set a Static MAC reservation for your router.  Then go to Verizon Firewall>DMZ.  Type in the IP address that your router pulled.

Yes your router is double NAT'd, but that shouldn't pose any issues at all.  All Verizon functionality remains in tact, Fios apps, TV Guides, OnDemand, etc.

For good measure, go into Fios router and shut off wifi and shorten the DHCP range to like 20 IP's.

This usually takes me no more than 3-4 minutes.  Then I load up my Mikrotik config, reboot Verizon and Mikrotik and then off the network goes.

Any experience with this?  ActionTec Network Interface Module (NIM) Model: ECB-2200.  Just learning about it now.  

Just now, ejn1 said:

lol :)   For the second official record, i had a Asus wifi router previously and it was fantastic,  loved every bit of it....  If you have a Best Buy near you, I strongly recommend giving it a try !   It matches well with your $5k to $20k Control4 system ;)

Too much over exposure.  Everyone will think it's hype, even if C4 likes some Asus routers.

1 minute ago, dcovach said:

What?  since when?  I had no idea.  You didn't mention it enough times

lol :)   For the second official record, i had a Asus wifi router previously and it was fantastic,  loved every bit of it....  If you have a Best Buy near you, I strongly recommend giving it a try !   It matches well with your $5k to $20k Control4 system ;)

Just now, ejn1 said:

I agree with that mindset... For the record, my Unifi Router, switches and AP's have been rock solid with my network and C4...   Just giving you that data point :)

What?  since when?  I had no idea.  You didn't mention it enough times

10 minutes ago, dcovach said:

The feedback that I've seen from most dealers is they would rather sell a solid network for cost (or almost free) than try to profit off temperamental and expensive commercial gear.  I agree with that.  There's so many varying results with all the top commercial brands that it's confusing to know which one to trust for all setups.  Some stuff just craps out.  

I agree with that mindset... For the record, my Unifi Router, switches and AP's have been rock solid with my network and C4...   Just giving you that data point :)

25 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Sounds like maybe dcovach has some pre-configured firmware setups for his C4 installs that he just flashes via DD-WRT?  

The only asus router I've ever heard of running solid (on the last and final Kong firmware) was the RT-N16.  It's old and only good for up to 50 nodes.  Someone might have one kicking around and not realize it will run better (with more options) than most newer stuff off the best buy shelf.  But who cares?   I don't know why the comments keep coming.

4 hours ago, ejn1 said:

Understand, if Unifi was perfect for all then there would only be one solution out there and that's not the case.  Asus makes good stuff and I used to own a couple of their routers.  My only point was you mentioned that all users cant afford commercial gear which is true and also why I think ubiquiti is great stuff,  its pricing is so competitive with "Best Buy" routers etc that if integrated into a C4 system, it may be preferred.  I'm sure due to their disruptive pricing, some dealers dont love them and would rather sell a $1000 router with all of the associated mark up...    

The feedback that I've seen from most dealers is they would rather sell a solid network for cost (or almost free) than try to profit off temperamental and expensive commercial gear.  I agree with that.  There's so many varying results with all the top commercial brands that it's confusing to know which one to trust for all setups.  Some stuff just craps out.  

Just now, ejn1 said:

I was interpreting your firmware experimentation comment?

Just ask.  Control4 tech support won't help with network issues if they find out custom firmware is being used.  Not worth the trouble or being alone in troubleshooting.  Just an FYI.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, JenReilly said:

Will an eero router work with my Control4 System?

To be honest I haven't seen C4 be as finicky as it used to with network gear lately as it was in the past.  This is my guess a combination of much better gear on the market, and a shit in the C4 architecture also.

If you can buy it and give it a try, and if it works keep it and if not send it back. I would give it a try if it fits your network needs.  If your system is rather large, I would go with mesh from some of the bigger industry guys.

Archived