C4 Forums | Control4

Phillips hue question

Hello all,

I have a quick question regarding Phillips hue light bulbs.   I have my exterior garage coach lights on a c4 adaptive phase dimmer wired to a c4 remote dimmer.  I would like to install Phillips hue light bulbs in these 4 fixtures and am curious if I can change the light color within a schedule with c4.  I understand that when the dimmer is off, then the Hue are probable not connected to wifi, so how will they know that under certain programming situations, to change colors.   In summary, I would like to have the light bulbs to change colors on holidays such as Halloween, Christmas, 4th of July, etc.  My dealer has no experience with these.  

Ideally it might be better to change the dimmer to a 2 button keypad and hardwire power to the light as constant and let the keypad control the bulb itself but if can probably be done with the dimmer with programing for when they turn on to delay x number of seconds for however long they need to boot up after getting power applied, then conditional based on the particular day to change the color.

3 hours ago, Crazyjack said:

Hello all,

I have a quick question regarding Phillips hue light bulbs.   I have my exterior garage coach lights on a c4 adaptive phase dimmer wired to a c4 remote dimmer.  I would like to install Phillips hue light bulbs in these 4 fixtures and am curious if I can change the light color within a schedule with c4.  I understand that when the dimmer is off, then the Hue are probable not connected to wifi, so how will they know that under certain programming situations, to change colors.   In summary, I would like to have the light bulbs to change colors on holidays such as Halloween, Christmas, 4th of July, etc.  My dealer has no experience with these.  

the best would be to install a switch , doesnt even really need to be a control4 one but would be best for programming if you want.

always hot power to light switches may be bad if you need to turn them off.

if you keep the dimmer you need to turn of the dimmer functions set min power to 100 percent and max to 100

then disable the dimmer from turning the lights off

then use the phillips hue drivers only to control the lights for the best results you can even bind the lights to the dimmer if you want.

On 8/29/2017 at 9:06 PM, sonic30101 said:

Ideally it might be better to change the dimmer to a 2 button keypad and hardwire power to the light as constant

23 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

the best would be to install a switch , doesnt even really need to be a control4 one but would be best for programming if you want.

always hot power to light switches may be bad if you need to turn them off.

In fact, it may even be against code and void your insurance to hardwire a fixture that way without a true shut-off in place. Just keep the dimmer, set it to mimic a switch as per Mattt's description

Just have the dimmer set as a 2-button keypad to disconnect direct control - and program the actual light load to turn on whenever it is turned off, plus a daily schedule to turn it on (just in case a freak shutoff happens at the same time as a system reboot).

Why does that still allow a manual shut-off to the light? Because you can press the right hand side of the top bar to kill power (manual kill switch on all dimmers!)

4 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I just learned something new... very useful. Thanks Cy!

It's an often forgotten item - technically you're supposed to press it whenever you replace a bulb....it also tends to be handy in case a dimmer gets fused on because of overload (yep it will still shut off the lights as it actually kills the contact to wire).

Just for completion - the old dimmer have a similar thing - but it's a pull-out tab on the top of the rocker that you pull out (make sure to press the bottom of the rocker to do so!)

10 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

It's an often forgotten item - technically you're supposed to press it whenever you replace a bulb..

important reason why is the dimmer always has a little bit of power going through the load so you could shock yourself on the socket.

2 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

important reason why is the dimmer always has a little bit of power going through the load so you could shock yourself on the socket.

And sue - because you'd have to put your finger into it to make it happen, and without spelling it out....... - but yeah :D

Archived