C4 Forums | Control4

Basic smart lighting system for use with EA-1?

elee532

I would recommend a Lutron Caseta system. You can get everything on ebay/amazon/best buy/home depot and install it yourself. Then, you ask your dealer to integrate it with Control4. Just make sure to get a PRO version of the Bridge. Any Caseta dimmer will work.
This is one light switch on a one room ea1.

By the time you do all that for one room you may as well drop $129 on a switch and be integrated.

Thanks guys. Will check the black and midnight black buttons. So in bright conditions , I can see it clearly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This should help you see how bright backlight is.

Stock photos of black with backlight are on the C4 website.

Another advantage of these is the press / release / tap / double tap / triple tap options so you can do so much on one keypad if you remember how.

$5 per engraved button not cheap but, a six pack of beer per switch.

a2e26e38c7b7c4da741d1de54e36e1f9.jpg

If you are going for cheap then the cheapest lighting integration would be Yeelight.

Two way driver.  No need for electrician to install.  Just replace the globes.  No hub required either as it works direct via wifi.

You can buy a RGBW LED light bulb for about $25usd, a white LED light bulb for $15usd and a 2 meter RGB strip for $25

https://www.chowmainsoft.com/yeelight-control4

2 minutes ago, elee532 said:

Wow. Some great options. The ability to control volume with the Control4 switch could be very useful. I like the price of those Yeelights though too. Tough call all of a sudden. 😁

Yeah Yeelight is bang for buck.  I remember back in the day the cost of doing the lamps in my house would cost me a good $200 aud or so and i would need to chop the cable and re-wire it.  Now just replace the bulb for $15 (white dimmable) or $25 (rgbw dimmable).

We made the driver cheap as well just so that we'd have the cheapest lighting integration around.

3 minutes ago, k3nnis said:

Hi Alan, does yee light have warm white led downlights?

They don't have downlights.  They do E26 (screw type) bulbs.  The white version (15$ one) is cool white but the RGBW version you can change the color temperature when its in white mode to anything between 1700 kelvin and 6500 kelvin.  I usually leave mine at about 3000 kelvin as this is a nice warm color thats not too yellow.

Note the LED strip is also RGBW as well so you can do the same with that.

Haven't tested the LED Ceiling light or the desk lamp which are also compatible.  The desk lamp does support color temp as well.

20 minutes ago, k3nnis said:

Thanks. Yeah the only lights I have in the HT is downlights. Actually the whole house is downlights except my kitchen island pendant lights and dining table and a side table lamp from ikea :)

Yeah downlights are painful.  You'll need to use a Control4 dimmer or switch for control.  Note you should probably check to see if its a magnetic low voltage transformer to make sure you get the right dimmer or replace them with an ELV based transformers.

40 minutes ago, elee532 said:

What are downlights? Why are they painful?

downlight-with-transformer.jpg

Downlights are low voltage lighting.  It requires a transformer to convert from mains voltage to low voltage.

There are different types of transformers.  Magnetic (iron core), Forward Phase ELV and Leading Edge ELV and Trailing Edge ELV.

Now that i think about it Control4 have the Adaptive Phase Dimmer which will solve the problem.  I forgot about this product

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.