C4 Forums | Control4

Can we still manage a C4 system without Internet Access (OS 2.9.x/2.10)

jackstone

I've done that million of time: Installing C4 in a closed network without Internet access, mostly in commercial or government projects, that work fine until the release of OS 2.9 / 2.10. When I try to connect using Composer it respond Can't connect to Director on xx.xx.xx.xx (the IP address). This can be resolved by having access to the Internet on the router or gateway.

I tried the controller on static IP, DHCP, tried to remove the default gateway on IP setting (does not let me do that), tried with and without router and nothing worked, Internet is needed for Composer to connect...

The C4 system still work without internet access once configured but I always need to hotspot my phone to get some kind of Internet access to the router each time I need to manage this system, witch it really annoying....

The question is: Is it still possible to manage a system without Internet access? Is there someone who manage to do it on OS 2.9 / 2.10?

Please do not reply something like: "just leave it connected to the Internet". This is not possible since most of our project of this kind are on military complex with no Internet access.

It's a bit of a 'test' mind you - I've seen weird issues with C4 being (partially) down if internet is down, and suspect it may have to do with the new internet time server option which is activated by default (eventhough legacy is marked as default).

Do post if it fixes it for you or not if you don't mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Took some time to be able to go back on site and I finally manager to get there and try what Cyknight suggested, and I confirm it work, I can now manage my system locally without Internet connection. Thanks!

C4, with Crestron, are two of the few control systems that does not rely on a cloud service to run, which is a GOOD thing! I really hope this will stay as is.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bringing back this old thread, but earlier in the year my house was without internet for two weeks and I was not able to use C4. How could I fix this so that if my internet goes out again I am still able to use C4? My main use case would be for lutron lighting through C4 touchpads. Any help is appreciated!

1 hour ago, Rob21 said:

Sorry for bringing back this old thread, but earlier in the year my house was without internet for two weeks and I was not able to use C4. How could I fix this so that if my internet goes out again I am still able to use C4? My main use case would be for lutron lighting through C4 touchpads. Any help is appreciated!

Ehm, as per above? Would require dealer.

Note that T3's have there own issue if no internet is available, in which case you'd need to get an NTP server locally (some routers offer this)

9 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Pretty sure you can run an NTP server locally on any Linux box, and since Windows can now run pretty much full-featured Ubuntu that you should be able to do this on Ubuntu under WSL on Win10.

Sure, I just mentioned the router as something to check that's already in place.

Several option available, many of them don't have to be a major investment.

Have an old computer that's too slow? Install Ubuntu and use it as a NTP server is another option.

Just remember that you'll have to have it running 24/7, which is why a router with the capability is a good choice because it doesn't add another device running all the time or that you rely on to be on. If the router is down, system would come down anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.