C4 Forums | Control4

Moving old style 6 button keypad - what are those control wires?

Hi,

I was going to move our old style 6 button keypad from one room to another but noticed some thin control wires attached to it after removing the wall plate.

I looked here and saw no mention of these wires:

https://www.control4.com/files/dealers/documentation/200-00037_RevD_Wireless2-3-6-ButtonKeypad_IG_Web.pdf

Does anybody know what very thin wires feeding into the back of the keypad are for?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Hi,

I was going to move our old style 6 button keypad from one room to another but noticed some thin control wires attached to it after removing the wall plate.

I looked here and saw no mention of these wires:

https://www.control4.com/files/dealers/documentation/200-00037_RevD_Wireless2-3-6-ButtonKeypad_IG_Web.pdf

Does anybody know what very thin wires feeding into the back of the keypad are for?

Thanks.

are you talking about the yellow antenna?

Okay, now it seems the plot thickens.  I had a guy out just now checking another issue and he found that this keypad was installed with power coming from a CAT5 cable, but it's not POE.  He said it was running 120V.  I'm not at home so couldn't see what he was talking about, but he said that is definitely not code and actually kind of dangerous.  I don't really know how this would even work, but I guess my previous installer did this for some reason when I had him move the keypad from another room to the currrent room.

I don't know if any of this makes sense.  I'll just have to take a look at the back of the keypad again once I'm home.

Okay, now it seems the plot thickens.  I had a guy out just now checking another issue and he found that this keypad was installed with power coming from a CAT5 cable, but it's not POE.  He said it was running 120V.  I'm not at home so couldn't see what he was talking about, but he said that is definitely not code and actually kind of dangerous.  I don't really know how this would even work, but I guess my previous installer did this for some reason when I had him move the keypad from another room to the currrent room.
I don't know if any of this makes sense.  I'll just have to take a look at the back of the keypad again once I'm home.
Count your blessings that you still have a house if power is running over cat

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

You can try and locate the power supply. 

If you pull the keypad from the wall you can’t tell just by looking. You’ll need to test the voltage with a tester, if you have one and are comfortable you can do it safely. 

Ask the guy who told you it was 120 if he actually tested the voltage, or just assumed it was 120. 

Most likely it’s being fed with low voltage. I say that because it looks like that cat5 is coming from outside the box and not actually in the box. With a 120v fan switch next to it, there wouldn’t be any reason to fish a separate 120v feed up. Although there wouldn’t be any reason to feed it with low voltage when you could feed it using the 120v from the switch next to it.

So... really I’d still take a meter to it to ease your mind. 

I concur.  Looks like they're doubling-up the CAT5 wires to power the keypad with low voltage, which doesn't make a lot of sense if there's 120V in the box.

If it's 120V over the CAT5, that's certainly not the best of ideas, is extremely likely against code, and possibly dangerous, depending on how many devices he's powering over the CAT5.

Should be low-voltage, something like 24-36V, I also assume whoever told you it was 120V was likely guessing that because the power wires going into the keypad look like 120V, and are White / Black, which are standard Neutral/Hot colors for 120V wiring.

Even if you find the CAT5 is low-voltage wiring, it's probably against code having the low voltage wiring in the same box with 120V, if that fan controller next to it is powered via 120V.

RyanE

8 hours ago, RyanE said:

Even if you find the CAT5 is low-voltage wiring, it's probably against code having the low voltage wiring in the same box with 120V, if that fan controller next to it is powered via 120V.

RyanE

^This.  It is against code anywhere in the US, to have a low voltage device and a high voltage device within the same box, without a separating partition within the box.

Personally, when the dealer gets to you, kill the breaker for that fan switch and have him switch the power over to 120V lead that's already in the box and get rid of the CAT cable, but leave it capped, just in case.

You can't see in the picture that I took, but it's a 3 gang wall plate - one switch for overhead lights, one for the fan control and one for the keypad.

Is it possible that there wasn't another 120v connection in the box and that's why my previous dealer used the CAT5 cable?

You can't see in the picture that I took, but it's a 3 gang wall plate - one switch for overhead lights, one for the fan control and one for the keypad.
Is it possible that there wasn't another 120v connection in the box and that's why my previous dealer used the CAT5 cable?
Not really. All the 6 button needs is a hot and can be easily wired in there

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Archived