C4 Forums | Control4

Rock On Control4

Unfortunately, DIRECTV's new Genie 2 system with the C61 4k receivers will not work using IP control. You would think moving to the newest, latest, and greatest equipment would give more flexibility, but I had to remove IP control for all of my DIRECTV equipment and switch to IR control, which sucks. The way DIRECTV setup this new system to work, with a dedicated Genie that is used like a server for all the clients receivers and the constant switching from IP to link local IP made their new system impossible to use with IP control. Even though the system works much faster and is more responsive, I miss being able to read the media playing on my T3 touchscreens. 

From what it looks like is you don’t have any vlans/managed. Big systems should always be managed. Separate vlans for the type of user. Ie. one for control/control4. This will be all your control4 gear and everything that control4 is talking to. The seprerate vlans for basic WiFi, ip cameras, voip phones, guests, etc.... if all the c4 stuff is in one network and is all configured properly you won’t have these issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what it looks like is you don’t have any vlans/managed. Big systems should always be managed. Separate vlans for the type of user. Ie. one for control/control4. This will be all your control4 gear and everything that control4 is talking to. The seprerate vlans for basic WiFi, ip cameras, voip phones, guests, etc.... if all the c4 stuff is in one network and is all configured properly you won’t have these issues.

Also no other user should have access to the control network

You guys must have one heck of a stable network an' all.. who are you guys? FBI? Based at the Pentagon? YA'll get each and every one of your network devices and IP devices hand checked and installed pure and clean as the virgin snow and firmware upgraded by some sort of secret service blokes? You have a certified network that is hand filtered by the CIA 24/7and never ever sees the WWW an' all? Ya'll keep track of every 90 plus device on that network have every device on static IP.. yep every one..all your 6 computers, all your iphones, droid pads.. every one and rock solid. And other devices never ever hit your networks with dynamic IP... yep you screen everyone as they come in the door.. And ya'll never double add a static IP.. Damn I'd love a network like that but alas I guess I aint fastidious enough. Rock on C4... 

Yes, actually. It’s all part of proper network management.

9 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

What was the dhcp lease time? Everything from 192.168.1.2-.100 is static, and everything above is dhcp for reservations or just dhcp that I don't care enough to manage

This may also help organize and group things in clusters

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psj4bgzfonj5uso/SnapAV_IPNetworkMap_Worksheet.pdf?dl=0

Yep my reservations just got a bit out of control that's all.. they have been brought into line by adding and moving static IPs and a few other things in a similar fashion to this so thanks. Aware of the basic principals, just life aint always a box of chocolates as a famous guy once said.  Appreciate the help. W 

Well I just find that very hard to believe. I really do..
Not one IR remote. Ever in years on a TV or other device controlled via IP by Control4... not ONE... EVER??
Still If you say so I guess I will take your word for it.. 
How big is your network> How many IP controlled devices? 

Aside from initial setup I haven’t either. All my stuff is IP or RS232. Remotes are in a box in the storage room downstairs. It would probably take me a bit to find as they simply don’t get used. Ever.

Wap, you mentioned a bunch of guests coming over and spilling past your DHCP limits. One thing I’ve done to help mitigate this (and other problems that could arise) is to create a guest network which runs on a separate VLAN. I carefully which devices on my main network can communicate with the guest VLAN so they can still airplay and what not, but can’t access my NAS (for example). I have the network unsecured but them make folks authenticate via Captive Portal and it expires after 6 hours.

Archived