C4 Forums | Control4

Saving Western Civilisation

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Open source software

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sure I guess that's the same thing..Thing is I once paid for it. (Or so I thought).

So it aint so "open source" after all..Last I checked (AFAIK) the DDNas seems to run it's own specific version of FreeNAS???   :) 

So can I just railroad a firmware update of FreeNAS right over the top of that and all will be sweet? 

5 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Sure I guess that's the same thing..Thing is I once paid for it. (Or so I thought).

So it aint so "open source" after all..Last I checked (AFAIK) the DDNas seems to run it's own specific version of FreeNAS???   :) 

So can I just railroad a firmware update of FreeNAS right over the top of that and all will be sweet? 

find a DDNas or freenas forum and ask there

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

find a DDNas or freenas forum and ask there

Well I started here because  I purchased the NAS direct from a Control4 dealer in the USA.

In fact it was direct from the supplier (who was also a dealer at the time as I recall...) . And I know for a fact there are other members of this forum who have one.

Also it was sold as Control4 "Compatible". In fact that was it's specific selling point as I recall..

So my request for help on this forum stands.

It's legit. Or do we need the moderators on this one as well?   :) 

Just now, wappinghigh said:

Well I started here because  I purchased the NAS direct from a Control4 dealer in the USA.

In fact it was direct from the supplier. And I know for a fact there are other members of this forum who have one.

Also it was sold as Control4 "Compatible". In fact that was it's specific selling point as I recall..

So my request for help on this forum stands.

It's legit. Or do we need the moderators on this one as well?   :) 

http://local.control4.com/diamonddesignllc15-45669/proctorville-oh 

That's their contact info for Diamond Designs - I haven't talked to those guys in years and their website is offline

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

idk..told you everything I know

Sure thanks for that.

none of the direct links of the "help" section within the ddNAS aka dd(free)NAS loaded platform "work".. forum, knowledge base, website, store.... none of them...

I'd rather not post in bold and ask if they are still in business in another thread... they are (were?) great guys... 

I haven't the faintest clue what motherboard is in this thing. It's a Supermicro.

The info is scant. Even within the SM GUI itself. It's Taiwanese.

There are a myriad of possible motherboards on the supermicro site.

I don't even know if I go down the firmware upgrade path of this MB direct from within it's GUI, whether or not it will take me automatically to the correct version..?

And if there is a point of no return. And I will lose my data?. Info is scant. 

Like I said It's Taiwanese..  

There is no manual. Like I said It's from Taiwan. Put into some other hardware, loaded with some specific version of FreeNAS, rebadged DDNas and sold outta 'Merica...

Can anyone else with a DDNas help me out here.? Its' the 12 bay 2 hi rack version... purchased around 2012.. 

Have you upgraded either the Supermicro MB firmware, or the DDNas software? Like  ever?

I never have. I am on ddNAS 1.0 (FreeBSB 8.2-RELEASE-p4) 

Thanks for the help! 

14 minutes ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

Does this thing work properly? If it does, why are you worried about the firmware?

If you can’t find a trace of support for this thing anywhere on the web, I’d say it’s unlikely someone is writing updated firmware for it. 

Sure. It runs fine. I can smb etc into it no problem. Load the share etc... What isn't working so well now is OSX timemachine and Win10 backups... 

I want to use it as a backup server. For everything... Is a more recent version of FreeNAs more likely to be better than one 6 years old. I take a guess as "yes" to that q... 

I want to get more out of the hardware.. 

Cheers. 

Just now, wappinghigh said:

We shouldn't have to call the US for a more recent firmware version of FreeNAS than c2012 Alan.. 

Diamond Design is a US company.  They have no local prescence in Australia.  You should talk to whoever sold you the hardware and get support from them.

Alternatively you're welcome to upgrade the software yourself if you need/want to upgrade but if you don't know what you're doing i highly discourage it.

http://www.freenas.org/

8 minutes ago, alanchow said:

Diamond Design is a US company.  They have no local prescence in Australia.  You should talk to whoever sold you the hardware and get support from them.

Alternatively you're welcome to upgrade the software yourself if you need/want to upgrade but if you don't know what you're doing i highly discourage it.

http://www.freenas.org/

Sure. I purchased it direct from the US. I have approached the US company who sold it to me direct already. I did that like 6 months ago.

(BTW this was DD themselves...)

I have heard nothing.

That's why I am now asking what to do around here first... putting "feelers" out as they say, before actually doing anything myself... 

I am asking around here because I know there are other users of this NAS on this forum. 

Cheers. 

5 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Sure. I purchased it direct from the US. I have approached the US company who sold it to me direct already. I did that like 6 months ago.

Turns out it was DD themselves... 

I have heard nothing.

That's why I am now asking what to do around here first... putting "feelers" out as they say, before actually doing anything myself... 

I am asking around here because I know there are other users of this NAS on this forum. 

Cheers. 

PMing someone on the forum is the worst way of getting support for a product.  I don't see what the problem is with making a phone call.  They have skype even!  FREE

17 minutes ago, alanchow said:

PMing someone on the forum is the worst way of getting support for a product.  I don't see what the problem is with making a phone call.  They have skype even!  FREE

Well that's great to know. Didn't know that. 

Is there a firmware upgrade process for the DDNAS...? If there is I don't know what it is... 

Just curious.

why do you never want help?  Like people give you suggestions and all you do is complain about them.  You just seem chronically unhappy.  You bought a product from a US Company with no presence outside Ohio and then complain that you have to call the US for Support?  It's like you are looking for a reason to complain.

Archived