C4 Forums | Control4

Saving Western Civilisation

As we allow Western Civilisation to drift towards the precipice and eventually fall of the cliff we are going to need a small bunch of data enthusiasts to archive what we can of Western Civilisation (as we’ve known it) Off grid in specific isolated locations. I can’t think of a better bunch of folks than those on this forum to achieve this goal.

It’s no good thinking we can do this with the likes of online cloud servers like Google, Apple and Microsoft. Spotify will be gone. So will Ultraviolet. Distant reminders of what we once achieved. These will be useless after the coming Western Civilisation collapse.

We need to keep files on our own sites. On our person. Hollywood ain’t going to help us. Neither are Trump, May or Turnbull etc. And you can Forget about Bezos, Tim and Elon. They”ll be on the next space ship outa here.

This of course includes what we can of Control4 backups, pro, HE, firmware, other device firmware etc. The C4 mothership will be long gone after the demise.

I have an old DD Nas which is perfect for the task. That thing is built like a tank is heavy (so hard to steal) and bolted down in by basement. I also of course have other backups that are mobile and can be taken on person.

So what’s others strategies?

I need help but in updating this bad boy NAS firmware and getting Apple shares and Windows backups happening.

I’ll post my specific q in the morning if that’s ok.

But I encourage ya”ll to take a long hard think and post here what you are doing.

The wackier the better frankly because this is some serious sh!te happening with our Civilisation right now- it’s under threat and we gotta protect what and how we can...

I’m open to *any* suggestions! The crazier the better to be honest ‘cause if it’s nutty now it will be more difficult to locate and destroy later.....

Cheers and Rock on C4 and god help us all.

We are doomed like the Florentines became post Renaissance... like the Greeks and the Romans Western Civilisation is finished as we’ve known it - its peaked already.

It is already in terminal decline and there is not much time left in my opinion.

W.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep that’s what I was expecting - taking the piss. Which is totally fine! I get that it is amusing. It is. Until it’s not. Don’t you guys read informed journalism like the economist? The likes of how the West has completely misread China? How Wall St is now crazy stuff and utterly spent and overvalued by more than 50%. Why most western banks are insolvent and most business that deal in real goods and services on the S&P don’t have enough cash flow to meat their debtors obligations past 3 months. How the US, and its allies will *never* be able pay their debts. Sure. I get that things can go on forever just the way they are. Until they can’t. Anyway. Hope you all are backing up local in some way as well as to the cloud. Was simply asking what your backup schemes were that’s all. Oh and I need help with my DDNas. Is DD still in business? Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i joke when I say I’m going to back up the internet as 99.9999999999% doesn’t mean anything to me.

But Alex in all seriousness you should always store at least 3 copies of anything important.

i have local storage, offsite storage (literally in another country) and cloud storage for all of our stuff.

Yep exactly Alan. You know anybody who can work on a SuperMicro server - running FreeNAS? Update it etc? And how do you personally co-ordinate those backups? Across all those separate remote sites? I’d like to be able to backup iOS, droid, some Linux like Kodi, OSX, Win10 etc etc from local>FreeNAS>Off site another country. The other stuff I can get onto FreeNAS fine. I used to be able to do the first step but something got broke - I think in FreeNAS a while back. Can Dropbox and BOX accounts be backed up local to FreeNAS? Can QNAP servers? I’m talking something set and forget. Not manually moving files all the time. Right now my backup plan is a dogs breakfast it’s all over the place. OSX to a local disk. And to the cloud (sometimes) Dropbox to knowhere. Media manual direct occasionally. etc. I need a co-ordinated approach. I’m sure I’m not the only one like this around here. Yep it’s not sexy and I get why dealers are not necessarily interested. So who does this sort of thing? Maybe I should try Freelancer but I’m not real keen on letting someone from India or Eastern Europe entering my servers and platform. Had enough things go wrong with my network already. Don’t need another headache on that. Thanks.

33 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Yep exactly Alan. You know anybody who can work on a SuperMicro server - running FreeNAS? Update it etc? And how do you personally co-ordinate those backups? Across all those separate remote sites? I’d like to be able to backup iOS, droid, some Linux like Kodi, OSX, Win10 etc etc from local>FreeNAS>Off site another country. The other stuff I can get onto FreeNAS fine. I used to be able to do the first step but something got broke - I think in FreeNAS a while back. Can Dropbox and BOX accounts be backed up local to FreeNAS? Can QNAP servers? I’m talking something set and forget. Not manually moving files all the time. Right now my backup plan is a dogs breakfast it’s all over the place. OSX to a local disk. And to the cloud (sometimes) Dropbox to knowhere. Media manual direct occasionally. etc. I need a co-ordinated approach. I’m sure I’m not the only one like this around here. Yep it’s not sexy and I get why dealers are not necessarily interested. So who does this sort of thing? Maybe I should try Freelancer but I’m not real keen on letting someone from India or Eastern Europe entering my servers and platform. Had enough things go wrong with my network already. Don’t need another headache on that. Thanks.

Honestly i have setup FreeNAS for a mate before and personally i think its too much effort for little cost savings.  QNAP and Synology both support rsync which is what i use for my NAS to NAS backup.  I schedule this to happen at 3am every day.  They also support VPN as well.  One of the cool things about it is that you can set it up so that it will auto connect to the VPN upon boot.  

I have QNAP myself at home and i know that QNAP have something called Hybrid Backup Sync which pretty much backs up files from your NAS to various cloud services like Google Drive, Dropbox, box, OneDrive and more.  I haven't used this myself though.

QNAP's qfile for iOS does automatically backup my photos from my phone to the NAS whenever i am on wifi though (it sends it through the internet as well through the myQNAPcloud service.  It runs in the background so as long as i don't close the app it will always do it without having to do anything.

All in all most of my backup solution is automatic.  The only thing i do personally is a manual backup onto USB hard disks to send offsite to New Zealand to make sure that our IP is secure should anything happen to both Richard and I in our melbourne office.

Drobos are great for performance and setup, synology does have a few niche apps that are useful
Drobo apps are only ok.

But they do have drobo to drobo backup now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I guess this is lesson learnt (again). If something is running "free" software it aint necessarily supported ongoing....
Thing is I purchased that NAS..
Anyway. Cheers all
W
You purchased the hardware not an unlimited and lifelong software support

13 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

You purchased the hardware not an unlimited and lifelong software support

Sure but be nice if someone could remote in and upgrade it and offer support.  How do I get support for it?

Thank You. :) 

Archived