C4 Forums | Control4

Local 5.1 input to matrix output

LollerAgent

Question

My goal is to allow one of my local 5.1 AVR's to play WHA sourced from my Triad AMS8 matrix.  For this to work, I think I need to run a cable from my Triad AMS-8 matrix to an input on the AVR?  Is this correct?  What output would I use on the matrix/WHA side?  Would I need to use one of the 8 audio outputs from the matrix or is there some type of "global out" that could be used for this?  I also want to make sure this is as "user friendly" as possible.

9 answers to this question

If you use mostly native sources for your WHA such as TIdal, Deezer, TuneIn or spotify connect and you have an EA3 or similar local to your AVR you could use and audio out of the controller into the AVR to add it to your WHA zones. otherwise RG6 with RCA connectors ran between matrix and AVR or a couple of analog stereo cables with an analog audio balun would work fine, Muxlab do some good analog audio baluns. 

7 minutes ago, Thepritch88 said:

If you use mostly native sources for your WHA such as TIdal, Deezer, TuneIn or spotify connect and you have an EA3 or similar local to your AVR you could use and audio out of the controller into the AVR to add it to your WHA zones. otherwise RG6 with RCA connectors ran between matrix and AVR or a couple of analog stereo cables with an analog audio balun would work fine, Muxlab do some good analog audio baluns. 

I might have an EA-1 next to this AVR, but not an EA-3/5.  I also want to be able to play AVR sources into my WHA (like vinyl, etc) which is why I wanted to run AVR output -> matrix input.  By "analog stereo cables" do you mean just standard RCA cables?  Why would I need baluns in this scenario?  Are any baluns needed to use RG6 - or do I just need the proper connectors/keystones?

An EA1 would work but because it only has an HDMI output it can cause a bit of a delay when using that zone with other zones around the house, it wouldn't be an issue if you were only listening to that zone or if the other audio zones are far enough away that you wont hear the slight echo. If you want sources from your AVR to play throughout the house as well you would need two sets of audio cables between the matix and AVR. AVR ouput to matrix input and then a matrix output to AVR input. if you can run audio cable from your matrix to your AVR then the baluns are not needed if you cant run cables and have some spare Cat6 between the two locations then baluns would be needed. 

On 3/21/2018 at 6:45 AM, LollerAgent said:

Ok - I guess there is no way to prevent eating up one of the 8 outputs on the matrix.. but this actually makes sense.

if you had to you could split the output to a second device that has volume control. Since your avr has input and volume control another device could share this output but in the end both devices would have to listen to the same audio.

Archived