C4 Forums | Control4

QMotion vs Somfy comparison

Not asking about Lutron or Hunter Douglas or options so please reserve those comments 🙂

I am working with a shading company that sells 8-9 brands including qmotion, Somfy, lutron, rollease and others and for a particular need I have (particular size window and the need for a dual motor for black out and sheer shades) lutron was not an option, just Somfy and QMotion.

Somfy RTS 40 was about 30% cheaper than QMotion in a side by side quote.  Somfy is 120v though and QMotion is low voltage.  These are all new windows or part of an extensive renovation, so I can get 120v or LV to that area, though I’d assume LV is cheaper and quick to run to the locations.  So I need that info from my GC but in general is QMotion 30% better if install/wiring costs are going to be the same?  The quotes included the power panel for QMotion and MyLink for Somfy, and both included measurements and installation. So really its “all in” pricing minus c4 integration and electrical wiring.

Its not like I can go test drive a Toyota or Lexus and see if I want to pay the premium for the Lexus which is 30-40% more than its Toyota counterpart (best example I can think of off the top of my head).  The quote is for 2 rooms, a bedroom and then a living room.  Bedroom is dual motor, blackout shade and sheer shade, and living room is just simple rollers to help diffuse light for better TV viewing (that’s another question, what % opacity is best...?)

I have qmotion and love them.  I have Cat6 from each shade back to my AV Closet where I have the qmotion power supplies.  They integrate nicely into C4.  Just make sure the shades are on a battery backup power supply.  I have no experience with Somfy.

15 minutes ago, C4 User said:

I have qmotion and love them.  I have Cat6 from each shade back to my AV Closet where I have the qmotion power supplies.  They integrate nicely into C4.  Just make sure the shades are on a battery backup power supply.  I have no experience with Somfy.

Would you by any chance be able to snap a picture of where the CAT6 comes out of the window/wall frame?  

1 hour ago, LollerAgent said:

Would you by any chance be able to snap a picture of where the CAT6 comes out of the window/wall frame?  

I’m not home now, but my shades are all inside mount.  The CAT6 comes thru top of the window frame is 2 inches back from the front and two inches from the right side.  You only need about one foot of lose cable.  I have dual shades in most windows, so run two CAT6 to each window if you want dual shades.

1 hour ago, LollerAgent said:

Ok - yeah, I was curious if it was common for you to have to drill THROUGH the window frame or not.  

So to be clear, the CAT does not run through the window frame itself.  It runs through the rough-in window frame of the house that the window itself fits into.  Hope this makes sense.

I've got qmotion roller shades at home and somfy glydea drapes at work. The qmotion integrate much better with control4 and have a v2 driver. The glydea zigbee/zwave chips leave a lot to be desired for functionality.

• 1 year later...
On 6/29/2018 at 8:13 AM, C4 User said:

So to be clear, the CAT does not run through the window frame itself.  It runs through the rough-in window frame of the house that the window itself fits into.  Hope this makes sense.

im also very interested what it looks like. Could you please show me a pic thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.