C4 Forums | Control4

Alternative to Control4 Multi-Channel Amp?

janagler

Hi,

I am planning on doing a small C4 system with only 4 zones. I am most concerned about audio and will have in-wall speakers in each zone. Are there are alternatives to using theC4 multi channel amp? I know Rotel makes a nice 8 channel amp that could do the job maybe paired with a matrix switch? Would that work? Has anyone done this? Thanks in advance.

Did you even try the C4 amp? They now make an 8 channel amp. (4 zone) http://www.control4.com/cp/112-6E640B9D/index.htm

How are you planning on doing the switching? The C4 amp is not just an amp but also a switch.

You say that you're concern with audio, but you have in-wall speakers? Spending the same amount of money for a non switching amp to power in-wall speakers in a waste of money if you ask me.

Talk to your dealer into letting you hear the C4 amp before making a decision at least.

^^^^^ I agree. The C4 amp is a little pricey, but it sure is nice. I have the 8 zone amp running at full capacity, I LOVE IT! I use it all day everyday, what a great investment!

it has a parametric EQ per zone, built in matrix switch and lots of other fun features.. its actually a really good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

The 8 zone amp looks the way for me to go too. All my music is stored on my HC500 (I also have it on my NAS). Is there a way to stream music to the 8 zone amp so that several streams can be played in one or all zones?

I think with each controller you can do only 3 streams of digital audio at a time, but to answer your question you can output from the controller into the 8 zone amp and because it has the audio matrix built in, you can have it going to one zone, all zones, or whichever zones you choose. I dont have one of these but I get the same effect using speakerpoints and an a/v switch.

You're limited as to the number of audio outputs of the controllers, which have to be connected as inputs into your amp or audio switch.

The HC200 has one audio output, the HC300 has 2, the HC500 has 3, plus digital audio outputs that share outputs with two of those.

RyanE

It can certainly decode those, but again, the HC300 only has 2 audio outputs, so you're only ever going to get 2 analog outputs at a time from an HC300.

Now, if you had additional controllers or SpeakerPoint devices in the system, yes, the 300 should be able to handle the multiple streams, although 3 Rhapsody streams definitely take more CPU than the MP3 streams.

RyanE

Sorry if I come across a bit thick but in laymans terms does that mean I could plug the 3 analog outputs from an HC500 into a 4 zone amp and add 3 speaker points to give me 6 audio zones?

I believe the digital coax out from the back of the HC500 doesn't work, is that true?

Sorry if I come across a bit thick but in laymans terms does that mean I could plug the 3 analog outputs from an HC500 into a 4 zone amp and add 3 speaker points to give me 6 audio zones?

No problem. Yes, you could have 6 independent audio zones by using the 3 analog HC500 outputs and 3 speaker points.

I believe the digital coax out from the back of the HC500 doesn't work, is that true?

I believe it works in the 1.7.1 and later releases, but I haven't used it myself (as I don't have a 500).

RyanE

Thanks Ryan. I appeciate your help.

That would be good news if the digital out works now. I can use all 4 zones on the 4 zone amp and just get 2 speaker points to complete my 6 zones.

Jobs a good un.

Archived