C4 Forums | Control4

C4-AMP108 problem

zaphod

I just acquried a used C4-AMP108.  When the amp has been turned off for a while and I turn it on with an active source then it works for about 20 seconds and then the sound dies and the power LED switches from blue to red and all the zone indicators go dark. If I then try again I only get sound for about one second until this happens. It seems to me like perhaps something is overheating or something similar since it starts playing and then cuts out. Anyone seen anything like this before?

7 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

I would remove all speaker wires and slowly add 1 zone at a time, then run if for a while and see if a particular set is causing the issue or if the amp is defective

So far I have only had one zone hooked up and I have tried a couple of zones so far with the same result.  I will try a different set of speakers - the problem is that I am waiting for some phoenix connectors and they aren't that easy to find.

• 3 years later...

I’m having the same issue. Has anyone figured out what might be causing it?

It’s a C4 8-Zone Amp (C4-AMP108) that continuously goes into protect mode (all front lights turn on red and sound output stops). This occurs even when absolutely nothing is plugged except for power (at different locations with & without power conditioning).

I’ve tried running a single zone, all zones, changing zone inputs/global inputs, adjusting gain, and finally with no inputs, outputs, or trigger plugged in. The problem stays the same...it goes into protect mode after 20-30 seconds.

There are a bunch of threads on this issue.  Meanwhile, I have a couple of C4-16AMP3-B that are older but keep ticking along.  That generation has been WAY more reliable than the C4-AMP108.

So buy a new amp or if you don't want to spend much money, get a used C4-16AMP3-B and you might even be able to fund that purchase by selling your matrix switch since you wouldn't need it any more.

3 hours ago, JMat8812 said:

I’m having the same issue. Has anyone figured out what might be causing it?

It’s a C4 8-Zone Amp (C4-AMP108) that continuously goes into protect mode (all front lights turn on red and sound output stops). This occurs even when absolutely nothing is plugged except for power (at different locations with & without power conditioning).

I’ve tried running a single zone, all zones, changing zone inputs/global inputs, adjusting gain, and finally with no inputs, outputs, or trigger plugged in. The problem stays the same...it goes into protect mode after 20-30 seconds.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

There are a bunch of threads on this issue.  Meanwhile, I have a couple of C4-16AMP3-B that are older but keep ticking along.  That generation has been WAY more reliable than the C4-AMP108.

So buy a new amp or if you don't want to spend much money, get a used C4-16AMP3-B and you might even be able to fund that purchase by selling your matrix switch since you wouldn't need it any more.

I have two of these for sale if you want one let me know. $600

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.