C4 Forums | Control4

How much data/bandwidth does cutting the cord use?

pinkoos

There may finally be light at the end of the tunnel regarding my system upgrade (background thread at the end of this post).  Will likely cut the cord (ie, cancel cable TV but keep high speed internet), cancel both Tivo subscriptions and go with YouTube TV at $40/month streamed to Apple TV 4Ks locally attached to each TV.  So, there will no longer be need to upgrade to a new Matrix or try the MoIP option.

So, I'm wondering from those with experience of streaming TV content full time, how much data/bandwidth do you generally use in an average month?  I know this will vary from person to person, but just seeing if there are any ballpark figures out there.

Comcast has a 1TB data "limit" each month which, of course, I've never come close to reaching since we never needed to stream TV content full time before.

So, before I finalize with my dealer/installer, I thought I'd check with the forum.

Thanks.

We will be streaming from YouTube TV via 4K Apple TVs, but I doubt it will be all 4K content (in fact, I thought I had read somewhere that Apple TV 4K can't stream 4K content from YouTube b/c of some codec issue, but don't quote me on that...that information may have been out of date).

We tend to have sports stuff/ESPN on in the mornings and evenings, but aside from particular shows, none of us watch too much TV, but it would be difficult to quantify an exact number of hours.

1 hour ago, twmoonly said:

That sucks you have a data limit. Spectrum doesn't let you know how much data has been used. I have cut the cord and use internet but still use the TIVO service with an OTA antenna

I don't know how much of a "limit" it is as I've read that Comcast lets you go over but if you go a lot over repeatedly, they may do something, throttle, etc.  Just not sure.

Archived