C4 Forums | Control4

Pre-programmed Keypads?

hi all. I have been doing this for a few days now and starting to get a feel for everything which is great. I managed to set up a 30 minute timer and have the tv turn off and set it to fire on the red button press and a few other small fixes for the wife when she comes in in the dark. One is to turn the kitchen lights on if its 15:30 - 16:30 AND dark outside (i.e between sunset and sunrise)

Small things but gives great satisfaction.

3 Questions please:

1. When i mess about with keypads, i cant seem to get things right. Its almost like its conflicting with the existing programming that the dealer put in. However, i cant find that programming anywhere so i can wipe it and start with a clean slate. Any ideas?

2. When i press watch and select sky tv on me bedroom tv it sometimes does not set the tv to the correct HDMI input. I think i just need to increase the delay between turning the tv on and trying to change input a little longer. But, again,i can find that programming. 

3. Is there any way when creating a sleep timer to display basic info like Timer Activated or Timer off anywhere? Tried announcements and notifications but does not feel like thats the way to do it. I suspect there is no way but thought ill ask just in case.

Much appreciated.

5 hours ago, deadsquirrel said:

1. When i mess about with keypads, i cant seem to get things right. Its almost like its conflicting with the existing programming that the dealer put in. However, i cant find that programming anywhere so i can wipe it and start with a clean slate. Any ideas?

I learned this the hard way too.  When the dealer creates a connection, that connection is not visible in Composer HE or When->Then.  And even more frustrating is that the connection will execute first, regardless of what you define in Composer HE or When->Then.  I have found this most frustrating on the "double tap" actions where the 2nd tap executes the connection and then the expected 2nd tap action occurs.

As far as I know, the the fix is to remove the connection and take over programming yourself or have the dealer change the connection to do what you want.

Thanks for the replies. Its disappointing to hear that i cant do the most basic keypad programming without reaching out to the dealer. Presumably people mess about with keypads here? if so what have they done? Is it best to just ask the dealer to  wipe all the functionality from every keypad and start fresh?

Is this true for question 2 also regarding remote functionality?

18 hours ago, deadsquirrel said:

hi all. I have been doing this for a few days now and starting to get a feel for everything which is great. I managed to set up a 30 minute timer and have the tv turn off and set it to fire on the red button press and a few other small fixes for the wife when she comes in in the dark. One is to turn the kitchen lights on if its 15:30 - 16:30 AND dark outside (i.e between sunset and sunrise)

Small things but gives great satisfaction.

3 Questions please:

2. When i press watch and select sky tv on me bedroom tv it sometimes does not set the tv to the correct HDMI input. I think i just need to increase the delay between turning the tv on and trying to change input a little longer. But, again,i can find that programming. 

3. Is there any way when creating a sleep timer to display basic info like Timer Activated or Timer off anywhere? Tried announcements and notifications but does not feel like thats the way to do it. I suspect there is no way but thought ill ask just in case.

Much appreciated.

One question from me, when you say you have programmed "it to fire on the red button press"  are you referring to the red Control4 button on the SR260 remote control? If so that is not a good idea as the red C4 button is almost always configured to bring up the onscreen C4 Navigator view on any TVs connected to the HDMI output of a 4 controller. I would highly recommend against programming any other functions on pressing the red C4 button.

To answer your questions:

1. If you want to start adding your own programming to keypad buttons you will probably need to contact your dealer and ask them to remove any existing programming that would conflict with what you want the button to be able to too. For example, if dealer has bound a keypad button to toggle a light load but you want to program the same button to do something different with a double or triple tap you will need to get the dealer to unbind the load from the button and reprogram the button to toggle the load with a single tap, that way the keypad knows how to differentiate between a single tap and a double tap. With the light load bound directly to to the button, it will always toggle the light as soon as you first press the button instead of waiting to see if you are going to do a single or double tap instead.

2. Best way to do this is to get your dealer to modify the power on delay for the TV driver so it always knows to wait slightly longer after powering on before issuing any other commands.

3. Sleep timers are best activated using the Wakeup/Goodnight Agent. This can then be adjusted by the end user  via either a T3 touchcreen or the onscreen Navigator display on any of your TVs which can be connected with the HDMI output from a C4 controller.

Control4 is not designed, never has been, to be an end user programmable control system. It offers limited adjustments via Composer Home Edition and the new When-Then capabilities but ultimately there will always need to be a dealer involved for anything other than very basic adjustments/programming.

Crustyloafer Thanks for your detailed reply. - i have attached an image of the red button im talking about. Im assuming there are no issues with that?

Im going to ask my dealer to completely wipe out all programming for all keypads. Just hope there are no issues with me reprogramming all of them. I have one that switches on TV and sets channel/input etc. I should be able to do tall of that using HE right?

Any chance you could expand a little on point 3. I basically want the room switched off in 30 minutes. Are there any disadvantages of doing it the way i did it with a timer ?

sr260.jpg

1 hour ago, deadsquirrel said:

Crustyloafer Thanks for your detailed reply. - i have attached an image of the red button im talking about. Im assuming there are no issues with that?

Im going to ask my dealer to completely wipe out all programming for all keypads. Just hope there are no issues with me reprogramming all of them. I have one that switches on TV and sets channel/input etc. I should be able to do tall of that using HE right?

Any chance you could expand a little on point 3. I basically want the room switched off in 30 minutes. Are there any disadvantages of doing it the way i did it with a timer ?

sr260.jpg

Yes, there are no issues programming against that red button.  The problem one would be the one with the 4 in the middle of it.

It is worth sitting with your dealer and discussing what you want to do and then have him wipe some (not all) of the bindings.  If you are not going to change something (e.g. basic lighting), bindings are better and easier to manage in the long run than programming. They are also quicker than ‘single tap’ programming although probably no quicker than ‘on press’ programming.  Your dealer can give you a lot of insight on how best to combine binding (that the dealer does) and programming that either of you do.

Yes, pretty much anything is programmable although it is not always easy.

For your programming of a timer to turn off a room, I would use one of the many timer experience buttons.  This shows you how much time is left and is much easier to use... but does require a dealer to add.  I had my dealer add lots of these and other useful Experience buttons.  I then use @msgreenf renamer driver to rename things like this and only display them when needed (avoids having to call a dealer every time I want to add something standard to my project).  Again your dealer can point you in the right direction in terms of what you want to add... (I must add one caveat, I cannot recall if the renamer driver works on Timer Experience buttons  I am pretty sure it does although it has been some time since I’ve added a Timer Experience button - I have 4 or 5 but added them all when Experience Buttons first came out!)

Going back to your original post... I am intrigued as to where you live if sunset is 15.30 and sunrise is 16.30 as your post implies!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived