C4 Forums | Control4

Ejecute alexa routine from control4

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Kasa is 100% supported by amazon still

The Kasa plug is still fully controllable by Alexa but Alexa does not allow its dimming value to be used as a routine trigger event. I am looking for a way to trigger Alexa speech by using an input from Control4. It would take home automation to the next level. 

20 minutes ago, Benoît van Osch said:

The Kasa plug is still fully controllable by Alexa but Alexa does not allow its dimming value to be used as a routine trigger event. I am looking for a way to trigger Alexa speech by using an input from Control4. It would take home automation to the next level. 

Try voicemonkey. You can call it from the tcp driver. 

https://voicemonkey.io/help

3 hours ago, Benoît van Osch said:

Thank you for the recommendation. What do you mean with calling it from the TCP driver? Please could you explain a bit more on how to set this up with Alexa and Control4 for it to show as trigger events in Alexa.

Take a look at the documentation. In short, you create a trigger in voicemonkey which appears as a doorbell in Alexa. Create a routine in Alexa for when your voicemonkey routine triggers. Call it via the API (or webhook) they provide using the chowmain generic tcp driver. 

15 hours ago, SpencerT said:

Take a look at the documentation. In short, you create a trigger in voicemonkey which appears as a doorbell in Alexa. Create a routine in Alexa for when your voicemonkey routine triggers. Call it via the API (or webhook) they provide using the chowmain generic tcp driver. 

Thanks, I’ve been reading through the documentation but wasn’t sure if I had to use HA or IFTTT as a bridge between VM and C4. Are you saying that the TCP driver can communicate directly with VM and get its full capability?

Other options:
Shelly - haven't tried it myself, but the theory is all there.
They allow 3 virtual triggers free, or sign up for Premium (~$40 yearly) and have up to a 100
You setup Shelly as the go between to send the trigger to Amazon as a virtual doorbell.
Set pretty much anything in Shelly based on it's state.
When light at 10% Notify Amazon Trigger 10 for example.
Alexa Shelly Skill & Control4 Shelly driver

How do you feel about a third party having access to some of your Amazon information?
These all have Sign in with Amazon requirements to set up linking.

Webhook Routine Trigger

Voice Monkey

Virtualsmarthome.xyz

Each operate similarly.
Send a URL command to their website and it's passed to Amazon.
So reliant on their web service and Amazon Partner shares from Amazon at least: name, email, account ID and access token.
Amazon Account Linking and Control4 TCP driver

22 hours ago, RAV said:

Other options:
Shelly - haven't tried it myself, but the theory is all there.
They allow 3 virtual triggers free, or sign up for Premium (~$40 yearly) and have up to a 100
You setup Shelly as the go between to send the trigger to Amazon as a virtual doorbell.
Set pretty much anything in Shelly based on it's state.
When light at 10% Notify Amazon Trigger 10 for example.
Alexa Shelly Skill & Control4 Shelly driver

How do you feel about a third party having access to some of your Amazon information?
These all have Sign in with Amazon requirements to set up linking.

Webhook Routine Trigger

Voice Monkey

Virtualsmarthome.xyz

Each operate similarly.
Send a URL command to their website and it's passed to Amazon.
So reliant on their web service and Amazon Partner shares from Amazon at least: name, email, account ID and access token.
Amazon Account Linking and Control4 TCP driver

Thanks Rav for the overview, very much appreciate the effort. Shelly sounds like a good alternative for people that dont want to share account information with third parties so I will look into that.

Separate question I have is around the possibility of knowing what Alexa device is spoken to in a multi-Alexa household. Do you know if there is a way to get this information to Control4 so that e.g. when I say 'good-night' in a certain bedroom, some logic can trigger different routines / logic dependent on the Alexa device spoken to n order to switch of lights, TV, etc in that room?