C4 Forums | Control4

Ejecute alexa routine from control4

When I arrive home C4 detects my presence at the entrance thanks to bluetooth beacons and I have programmed the system to activate an alexa routine that greets me by name (beacon recognizes each family member individually).

That's exactly what the OP wanted.

Rick

9 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

Also the Moen Shower controller isn't integrate-able with C4 but is w Alexa. I can start a shower etc w button press or using my phone scene without going into Alexa app or having an Alexa around. 

The Moen Shower controller doesn't have a public API, but there is one. So I suppose its possible to control it. I saw at least one person create some code for it based on poking around on the javascript portal. https://github.com/madenwala/Moen.U.Api

8 hours ago, Pounce said:

The Moen Shower controller doesn't have a public API, but there is one. So I suppose its possible to control it. I saw at least one person create some code for it based on poking around on the javascript portal. https://github.com/madenwala/Moen.U.Api

But my understanding w this is that you can tell Alexa to turn on your shower w control4 via the webhook. Moen does have Alexa integration so Amazon has the API. Long story short if you can tell alexa to do something you should be able to tell alexa to tell the shower to do something. Admittedly haven't had a chance to play w it I've been working like crazy but it's higher on my list to do. I'll report back in couple weeks when I get to play w it. 

3 minutes ago, Neo1738 said:

But my understanding w this is that you can tell Alexa to turn on your shower w control4 via the webhook. Moen does have Alexa integration so Amazon has the API. Long story short if you can tell alexa to do something you should be able to tell alexa to tell the shower to do something. Admittedly haven't had a chance to play w it I've been working like crazy but it's higher on my list to do. I'll report back in couple weeks when I get to play w it. 

Yea, I was simply saying that there is an api, just not a published one. I wanted to correct a statement that the product cannot be integrated. It is possible. It just hasn't been done. Not sure there is any ROI on the time required...

1 hour ago, Pounce said:

Yea, I was simply saying that there is an api, just not a published one. I wanted to correct a statement that the product cannot be integrated. It is possible. It just hasn't been done. Not sure there is any ROI on the time required...

Gotcha

Many APIs come with licensing agreements.

So just cause there is an API, doesn't mean they want you to, or any other developer to integrate with them. (the MyQ mess, no Sonos streaming services browsing inside Control4, etc)

Amazon's huge, everyone want's to play, even if they absorb a loss/cost to be Alexa controlled.

• 3 years later...

This is how I do it:
Get a KASA KP405 plug in outdoor dimmer, I named mine Link.
Plug in anywhere in the house, but don't plug a lamp or anything into it.
Add a Kasa Driver to Control4 (recommend Chowmainsoft)

This device can be seen by BOTH Control4, and by Alexa Routine, and controlled by both systems.
So it can relay and trigger events between the two systems.
One side sets a percentage, the other does something and resets the Link to off.

Examples.
Control4 set Link to 10%
Alexa Routine - when Link is 10% Announce "Come to Dinner" and set Link to off
Alexa Routine - when Ring Alarm is set to Away, set Link to 90%
Control4 programming when Link is 90% run Macro goodbye (which includes setting Link back to off)

In theory you can set 100 different percentages, so can relay 100 events between Alexa and Control4.

On 3/21/2024 at 4:43 PM, RAV said:

This is how I do it:

This device can be seen by BOTH Control4, and by Alexa Routine, and controlled by both systems.
One side sets a percentage, the other does something and resets the Link to off.

Examples.
Control4 set Link to 10%
Control4 programming when Link is 90% run Macro goodbye (which includes setting Link back to off)

In theory you can set 100 different percentages, so can relay 100 events between Alexa and Control4.

Easier than that, create a lighting scene in C4 but don't do any lights go to programming. Set what you want to happen when that lighting scene is triggered. Ie (Close Kitchen Shades) is the name of the lighting scene. No lights programmed but in programming I have it set to close kitchen shades. Then create an alexa routine that says when "Alexa, close kitchen shades" is said run this lighting scene. Works pretty well. If you do it with a routine you can say it like that, if you don't want to do alexa routines than you can just say "alexa, turn on close kitchen shades" little counter intuitive but works. This way don't have to worry about the wrong programming number and don't need any other devices. 

1 hour ago, Neo1738 said:

Easier than that, create a lighting scene in C4 but don't do any lights go to programming. Set what you want to happen when that lighting scene is triggered. Ie (Close Kitchen Shades) is the name of the lighting scene. No lights programmed but in programming I have it set to close kitchen shades. Then create an alexa routine that says when "Alexa, close kitchen shades" is said run this lighting scene. Works pretty well. If you do it with a routine you can say it like that, if you don't want to do alexa routines than you can just say "alexa, turn on close kitchen shades" little counter intuitive but works. This way don't have to worry about the wrong programming number and don't need any other devices. 

That's fine for Alexa to Control4 direction.
He's wanting Control4 to trigger Alexa. Alexa won't trigger a routine off a Control4 device change. But will off some IOT products.
For example; have a button that prompts Alexa to speak the weather, or a goodbye macro to arm a Ring Alarm, or other Alexa compatible but NOT Control4 compatible device.

And If i'm wanting both directions, it's easier to program with the IOT device for both ways, rather than clutter with scenes.
But if all you want is Alexa to Control4, than scenes does work as you noted.

I have now installed and configured the TP-Link Kasa module and have it working from Control4 to Alexa but dont seem to be able to use the Kasa Plug as a When event in Alexa. I was expecting the Kasa Plug to show in the Smart Home section of the when events but can only see my echo devices in here and not the smart plug. Any ideas what is missing here? 

On 3/27/2024 at 10:11 AM, RAV said:

That's fine for Alexa to Control4 direction.
He's wanting Control4 to trigger Alexa. Alexa won't trigger a routine off a Control4 device change. But will off some IOT products.
For example; have a button that prompts Alexa to speak the weather, or a goodbye macro to arm a Ring Alarm, or other Alexa compatible but NOT Control4 compatible device.

And If i'm wanting both directions, it's easier to program with the IOT device for both ways, rather than clutter with scenes.
But if all you want is Alexa to Control4, than scenes does work as you noted.

Missed that thanks!

On 3/21/2024 at 8:43 PM, RAV said:

This is how I do it:

Examples.
Control4 set Link to 10%

Hi Rav, any idea why I am not seeing the Kasa plug as a programmable smart home event in Alexa? 

2 hours ago, Benoît van Osch said:

Hi Rav, any idea why I am not seeing the Kasa plug as a programmable smart home event in Alexa? 

Can you control it in the Alexa App?

48 minutes ago, RAV said:

Can you control it in the Alexa App?

Yes can control it in the Alexa app, it has been discovered and is added as a device in the Alexa app. I am just not able to create a routine event for the Kasa plug, it is not showing in the smart home section for events. Is this where you do see the Kasa Plug?

11 hours ago, Baubas Cat said:

I have everything setup but in Alexa routines I can only program against On or Off. How do I get dimmer settings 1-100 to show in routines?

Are you also using the Kasa plug and if so what did you install on the Alexa side for it to show up under events? How is your plug configured in Alexa, as a plug or as a light? Maybe changing it to a light in the device settings in Alexa will enable the dimming settings. Also, do you know if I need to use the Kasa plug device that is discovered from control4 or the one that is discovered from Alexa directly itself? I have two showing in Alexa. Any help on how I can get this to show in Alexa events will be hugely appreciated as I purchased two of these module from the US specifically for this functionality and don’t seem to be able to get it configured to show as events…

After setup I ask Alexa to discover devices. After discovery I have two new devices in the Alexa app, both with the same name (the name I gave the Kasa plug-in dimmer). One shows as a light connected via Control4 and the other as an outdoor plug-in dimmer connected via TP-LINK. I can change the plug-in dimmer to a SMARTPLUG or LIGHT but it doesn't change the options in Alexa Routines. I can only program for off or on. For it to show for me, I go to Routines, New Routines and then Add an event under WHEN. Finally I select Smart Home and it is the first choice for me. There is an icon that looks like a plug with the name I gave it next to it. If it doesn't show for you there, I would delete both Kasa devices from your Alexa app and then ask Alexa to discover devices again. I have done this a few times in hope that it would give me the dimming options that RAV claims they have. You could also try disabling and reinstalling the Alexa TP-LINK Kasa skill. Please post if you get it working.

It would appear that Amazon has changed, sorry guys.
I reviewed a couple setups and you can only trigger from a relay type device now. On or Off.
So Kasa devices are an option, but no longer based on percentage, just if on or off. Very limiting.

On 6/12/2020 at 4:17 PM, ziocan said:

Sure thing, here it is.

Just configure the virtualbuttons URLs in the properties, then to programmatically call one of the URLs  just set the webhooks variable to the corresponding number.

Rick

webhooks.c4i 4.32 kB · 54 downloads

Hi Rick, does this still work and if so would you mind sharing the details? I bought 2 Kasa modules recently to achieve this functionality but that doesn’t seem to be supported by Amazon anymore.