C4 Forums | Control4

4K equipment

timelinex

16 hours ago, Pounce said:

Yes, I have seen them both in person. The color, contrast and motion on the 65 are better. If you want a good image for movies the 65 is really that much better. If you just want a good projector and really aren't that fussy about the color and judder doesn't really both you then the 60 might make more sense to save a little money. I cant deal with judder and I don't game with a projector.

There are tons of comparison articles and videos out there comparing these two projectors. If you like this brand and these two projectors it's a personal choice based on cost and primary purpose.

Thanks for all the info. I will look at more reviews. I have been using a 10yr old Marantz 720p projector for months now (new house came with it) and it's been OK. So I'm thinking my bar is so low that I am probably fine with any new age projector haha I don't mind spending more on the uhd65 at all, but while I won't notice color, I am worried I will notice lag. Of course I don't know just how bad the lag is that is being mentioned, so maybe not. Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to test out both anywhere.

17 minutes ago, timelinex said:

Thanks for all the info. I will look at more reviews. I have been using a 10yr old Marantz 720p projector for months now (new house came with it) and it's been OK. So I'm thinking my bar is so low that I am probably fine with any new age projector haha I don't mind spending more on the uhd65 at all, but while I won't notice color, I am worried I will notice lag. Of course I don't know just how bad the lag is that is being mentioned, so maybe not. Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to test out both anywhere.

Lol. Yea, I'd imagine most anything new would be an improvement. Not that those were bad projectors at the time.

Lag is only a potential issue with gaming. You are sounding more like you will want to game in this space so it's reasonable to consider the 60. I've seen the 65 lag quantified at between 75-140ms depending on smoothing settings using 1080p input.

Another potential option for gaming with a reasonable lag is the BenQ HT2550. Not sure about your throw distance.

1 hour ago, Pounce said:

Lol. Yea, I'd imagine most anything new would be an improvement. Not that those were bad projectors at the time.

Lag is only a potential issue with gaming. You are sounding more like you will want to game in this space so it's reasonable to consider the 60. I've seen the 65 lag quantified at between 75-140ms depending on smoothing settings using 1080p input.

Another potential option for gaming with a reasonable lag is the BenQ HT2550. Not sure about your throw distance.

OK. I will have to do more research on the lag issue. I literally don't know how much 100ms will effect my gameplay, so I will have to figure that out. I'm not a "serious" gamer, but I don't want to deal with lag either.

Do you know what driver I should use for either the UHD65 or UHD60 in C4? I don't think there is an IP driver but I have IR wired to the location. However I don't see an IR driver either.

1 hour ago, timelinex said:

OK. I will have to do more research on the lag issue. I literally don't know how much 100ms will effect my gameplay, so I will have to figure that out. I'm not a "serious" gamer, but I don't want to deal with lag either.

Do you know what driver I should use for either the UHD65 or UHD60 in C4? I don't think there is an IP driver but I have IR wired to the location. However I don't see an IR driver either.

I think that 100ms could be the difference in you getting pummeled in seconds rather than in minutes by those 10 year old gamers.   They are relentless and have no sympathy for lag.

11 hours ago, timelinex said:

Have you looked at any of the Epson projectors? Seem to have better lag time than the Optoma PJs and also have IP control. There do seem to be some complaints about a power control issue on the 5040ub on Amazon (not present on other sites), but I've had that unit for 15 months and the picture is amazing. I see it's going for $1999 right now, which is a deal. 

9 hours ago, rea said:

Have you looked at any of the Epson projectors? Seem to have better lag time than the Optoma PJs and also have IP control. There do seem to be some complaints about a power control issue on the 5040ub on Amazon (not present on other sites), but I've had that unit for 15 months and the picture is amazing. I see it's going for $1999 right now, which is a deal. 

Which Epson specifically are you referring to?

You can buy directly from Epson also...

https://epson.com/For-Home/Projectors/Home-Cinema/Home-Cinema-5040UB-3LCD-Projector-with-4K-Enhancement-and-HDR/p/V11H713020

I've had several epson projectors and like their image "personality". They do look different than the Optoma due to differences in the technology.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 10:50 PM, rea said:

After some more research I have decided I will buy the 5040ub. It seems to be similar to the uhd series but it has alot more adjustability for setup, and that might come in handy.

The power supply issue worries me, but it seems like some people say they may have fixed it, and they do seem to be really good on warranty.

All ordered. Epson 5040ub with extended 4 year warranty to ensure against the power supply issue (only $60!), and the Denon AVR-X3500.

Now I just gotta hope that the HDMI cable thats ran from my media room to my ceiling isn't too long and will need replacing for the 4k portion to work. Really don't want to go into the attic.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

On 3/10/2019 at 11:48 AM, timelinex said:

After some more research I have decided I will buy the 5040ub. It seems to be similar to the uhd series but it has alot more adjustability for setup, and that might come in handy.

The power supply issue worries me, but it seems like some people say they may have fixed it, and they do seem to be really good on warranty.

I have been very happy with my 5040ub. And for what it's worth, I've had mine for over 1 1/2 years now without issue so hopefully yours works out just as well--and hopefully you don't have to run more cable!

On 3/12/2019 at 9:46 AM, rea said:

I have been very happy with my 5040ub. And for what it's worth, I've had mine for over 1 1/2 years now without issue so hopefully yours works out just as well--and hopefully you don't have to run more cable!

I hope so too!

I installed everything yesterday and am very happy with my purchase. I thought my Marantz was pretty decent quality, but after seeing the quality produced by this projector, I feel like I've been watching movies through a dirty milk jug! I'm also happy to report that 4k works and I don't have to replace the wiring. This was a huge surprise because it's probably like an 8 year old cable and its got to be pretty dang long. Easily 30+ feet. 

Now all I have left is to do the C4 programming and RMA my Nvidia Shield. Talk about bad luck. I pulled the plug at the end of the night and replugged it back in and it wouldn't turn on anymore. Bricked. Out of nowhere. Always something!

So I am having having a flickering issue with the projector. I know you guys aren't the AV experts necessarily but I thought it was worth a shot to ask.

It gets worse and better and during the bad times it's easily a flicker every 5-10 seconds. I don't think that it's a bulb issue simply because if I go to the projectors "home" screen there is absolutely no flickering. I tried changing power consumption modes between eco/medium/high and that doesn't change anything.

It's hard to test everything and be sure just because the issue does go away from a little bit at a time sometimes. It's also hard to test the HDMI cables because this is in a home theatre with cables ran through walls/attic. I changed my Nvidia Shield from 4k59hz recommended to 4k60hz and the issue went away. But it came back an hour or so later so I'm not sure that did anything. 

I changed the resolution of the Nvidia to 1080p and I haven't had not 1 flicker at that resolution. My biggest suspect is the HDMI cable from my Denon AVR to the Projector. It's a relatively long run and it's the original cable from 10 years ago. I was surprised 4k even worked with it considering the length of run. I know there is issues with long cables and 4k. I was just under the impression that HDMI is an all or nothing type thing? 

Is it possible the flicker is because of the old/long HDMI cable?

2 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

You could get a known 4k working calbe (shorter like 6ft) cable and if you have a laptop w 4k or the shield and try to directly hook something up to the projector outside of matrix/control4 and see if it works. 

I tried it and it works, but the intermittant part makes it hard to know for sure. And I haven't just sat around for 30 min waiting.

I have talked to a few other people and they said its likely the cable. I just thought HDMI either worked or didn't.

17 hours ago, Pounce said:

I'd consider running a fiber hdmi cable if you go to the trouble to replace the one you have. Or run two plus a couple of cat6 while you are at it.

I actually have 2 cat 5e ran to it.. that makes me wonder, maybe I should just do the hdmi thru cat option. Is it good enough for 4k though?

On 3/16/2019 at 7:28 PM, Pounce said:

I'd consider running a fiber hdmi cable if you go to the trouble to replace the one you have. Or run two plus a couple of cat6 while you are at it.

I've seen alot of mention of this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDQ5JOC/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A1W38LIN57HDN1&psc=1

Is this the a good option? I am trying to future proof.

Archived