C4 Forums | Control4

Blinds

Hey guys...I have a couple of windows that are up high in my house (the bottom of the window is like 16 feet high) and I don't have any blinds on them currently. For a few weeks every year, for about an hour each evening, the sun will come in and blind you if you're sitting on one couch in the great room.

My house is not wired for an sort of automated blinds. These windows I would like to be able to have automated blinds on are on an exterior wall that is fireblocked and insulated, so getting wire up there would be extremely difficult.

Is there a completely wireless solution to automate blinds? If so, how? Do they make something that is solar or battery operated?

Thanks in advance.

^Sure, I have Somfy RTS battery and line-voltage units. How wide do you need? that will dictate whether you can do this with one shade or several. But, let codeman do the talking instead of me since he sells them :)

I had three blinds put in last year. They are Hunter-Douglas motorized and supposedly have Somfy motors (or controllers) and the plan was to integrate them into my C4 system. My dealer planned to use CardAccess relays - we tried that but they didn't have enough power to do the job. He said that we need a controller and we decided to wait until the HC-200 came out.

I'll try and post a picture of the windows I am talking about. Ideally what I would find is a shade that could be folded down or retracted except for those times when you're sitting right in the light.

Again, if I am going to pull this off they will need to be straight wireless, batteries and all.

codeman, sorry I didn't get in touch with you today. I plan on talking to you about these in more detail, I just got caught up and work.

They rest at the top and they compress quite nicely. I have a triangular shaped window in my bedroom so I have three of these of various heights (the triangular bit is covered by a fixed valence) and the tallest one must be close to ten feet.

You could just get something like the Hunter Douglas Silhouettes ($$$) and then you can just leave them open indefinitely and it should keep you from being blinded.

Either that or just sheer blinds. Just depends on how much you want to or plan on actually changing the position of the blinds. We have the same problem in our house and actually just got faux wood blinds to match the rest and as long as they are angled correctly they still let in plenty of light, we dont get blinded, and we never have to change the position.

We have a lot of hunter douglas blinds in our home, they are very nice blinds, but unfortunately they aren't connected to C4. Has anybody integrated the platinum series with C4?

Zaphod any luck?

I have an entire house full of hunter douglas power rises integrated with C4. There is very specific tricks involved in ordering the blinds as the newer models commingle RF and IR. I would definitely work with someone who knows what they are doing in this area or else you will end up with a bunch of blinds with the wrong eye which will not integrate.

I have an entire house full of hunter douglas power rises integrated with C4. There is very specific tricks involved in ordering the blinds as the newer models commingle RF and IR. I would definitely work with someone who knows what they are doing in this area or else you will end up with a bunch of blinds with the wrong eye which will not integrate.

We already have all the blinds installed. We just moved into a 10,000+ sq foot house, so I'm not going to be redoing the blinds.

It's not a big deal, just wondering how HE went around to doing it and if anyone has integrated the platinum series.

I had my C4 dealer work closely with my blinds person and still had a situation where they way they wanted to do it, using CardAcess relays, didn't work as they were not powerful enough. My dealer said that an HC-200 driving the relays should be able to do the trick so we are going to try that next.

Archived