C4 Forums | Control4

Drivercentral down?

15 hours ago, blub said:

Maybe everyone in this thread who thinks this should not happen with a premium product should write an email to DruverCentral and ask them to change their driver licensing to something like this:

If the license server is unreachable keep drivers licensed for 4 weeks.
This state should survive reboots

With such a policy a server or internet outrage would not affect the systems functionality.
For other reasons the current behaviour has been an issues for us as well so I would really appreciate a change

It won't be as simple as that to implement I'm sure - but yes this would need to be handled better. Dealers are in the same boat on this and pushing for a better long term solution, in the mean time, I know they're hard at work on getting the server AND a back-up server up and running.

20 hours ago, blub said:

Maybe everyone in this thread who thinks this should not happen with a premium product should write an email to DruverCentral and ask them to change their driver licensing to something like this:

If the license server is unreachable keep drivers licensed for 4 weeks.
This state should survive reboots

With such a policy a server or internet outrage would not affect the systems functionality.
For other reasons the current behaviour has been an issues for us as well so I would really appreciate a change

5 hours ago, Cyknight said:

It won't be as simple as that to implement I'm sure - but yes this would need to be handled better. Dealers are in the same boat on this and pushing for a better long term solution, in the mean time, I know they're hard at work on getting the server AND a back-up server up and running.

Add developers to that as well.  We arn't happy to wake up to receive tweets, forum posts, emails, contact us enquiries and phone calls.  I totally agree that this is not acceptable and have a meeting with driverCentral to discuss how they can make sure this never happens EVER AGAIN.

I have 42 drivers instances from DriverCentral and I expect a better handing of licensing for outages like this.  It’s a totally stupid design to hold us from our “balls” like this.  Am wondering how many dealer gets a phone call or email crying for help! It must be a nightmare ...

Sounds like they are really having an issue there.

Since all drivers are tied to the MAC address anyways I don't understand why they just don't stay "activated" as long as the MAC is unchanged - just like it was in the early days.

12 hours ago, alanchow said:

Add developers to that as well.

Yes, of course, you guys as well.

6 hours ago, blub said:

MAC address anyways I don't understand why they just don't stay "activated" as long as the MAC is unchanged

Mhh. Easy to spoof a MAC, it may need more than that.

Some sort of combination of delayed de activation provided MAC is accurate....would require storing mac of course, and may require changes on both driver level and 'cloud driver'....

That said, I'm sure drivercentral is not thrilled about it, and I'll let them and the developers come up with the details on how to handle it, as those two parties are in a much better position to do so than me. 😉

Archived