C4 Forums | Control4

I have connected the HDMI output of EA-5 to a Denon Receiver. When I plug the HDMI output of Denon Receiver to the HDMI input of TV via HDBaseT, i cannot view the OSD. No signal is received. Randomly it starts working, but then it stops working if i unplug the cables and reconnect (Or even after reboot). It worked for two days without an issue and suddenly stopped working. What is the issue?

Photo 5-1-19, 5 47 18 PM.jpg

Hey,

i mentioned this in an earlier thread. I’ve had this issue with Marantz and denon before. I’ve found if you use a hdmi splitter it strips the HDCP issues it sounds like you’re talking about. 

I’ll link below what I use, they work awesome for these exact problems, I keep a handful in stock because of this. A lot of times it’s that or the HDMI2.0 and your TV or balun is HDMI1.4 for example too. This cuts all that out and makes a solid handshake with the receiver and whatever it’s feeding.

gofanco Prophecy Intelligent 4K 60Hz HDR 1x4 HDMI 2.0 Splitter - YUV 4:4:4, 3D, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2, EDID, 18Gbps, Auto Scaling, Low Heat, Cascadable, Firmware Upgradable, 4 Port 1 in 4 Out https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079HN327D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rqzYCbA9W9851

you can do the 1x2 

So you plug in the ea5, and press the Control4 button, (with on screen navigator connected in the room under connections) you don’t get a pop up screen?

try it connected and reboot it, it should show a boot screen with Control4 logo. It doesn’t constantly output video only when the Control4 button is pressed and the on screen for the room is made in the connections page for that room 

7 minutes ago, Hometronics-SF said:

So you plug in the ea5, and press the Control4 button, (with on screen navigator connected in the room under connections) you don’t get a pop up screen?

Hi @Hometronics-SF

Yes

7 minutes ago, Hometronics-SF said:

try it connected and reboot it, it should show a boot screen with Control4 logo. It doesn’t constantly output video only when the Control4 button is pressed and the on screen for the room is made in the connections page for that room 

I tried it. Still it doesn't display the OSD. HDMI port of TV is not getting a signal. But with a direct HDMI cable i get the OSD.

I don’t mean to ask in a difficult way. I’m just trying to understand. So you say hdmi port on tv says “no signal” but your getting the onscreen with a direct hdmi cable, what is the direct hdmi cable plugged into? 

Hi @Hometronics-SF,

For a moment dont think abt the AVR. I removed the AVR.

Let me explain. If I connect the HDMI output port of the EA-5 to the input HDMI port of TV via a HDMI cable, i get the OSD on my TV and everything works fine. If I use a HDBaseT (transmitter & receiver) instead of a direct HDMI cable, i don't get the OSD on my TV. The HDMI signal is not getting transmitted.

diagramHDBaseT.PNG

Ahhh, ok. Apologies. I guess the next question is this, do you have something else to test video like a laptop or anything hdmi? Maybe try to bring the resolution down on the ea5 because it’s seeing the cards as 4K and the tv can’t support the resolution. When plugged in directly to the tv it automatically drops the resolution. If you are not getting video on anything, try a higher resolution tv to verify the cards aren't passing a resolution that the tv can’t handle. If the cards aren’t linking after that you definitely could have a handshake issue or just a bad set of baluns. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had bad baluns out of the box, even snap AV ones. But if there is an hdcp issue or something similar, it will block the video connection and the handshake between the tv and the baluns. Leaf are usually pretty good so I’d be surprised it was that, BUT I’ve torn my hair out for hours on a Samsung tv and handshake issues literally to find out it was an hdcp issue, not the equipment connected. 

12 hours ago, Hometronics-SF said:

Maybe try to bring the resolution down on the ea5 because it’s seeing the cards as 4K and the tv can’t support the resolution

Uhm, that's not a standard option at all.

It does sound like a possible EDID issue however. Try this: ea5 to receiver, receiver hdbaset to TV. Set reciver to FORCE the signal to 1080p.

IF that works consistently, it's going to be an EDID issue. Best bet is to talk to techsupport, they'll be able to force the EA5 to a set resolution instead of auto.

Not a standard option? Apologies last time I checked in the controller properties tab you could choose the output resolution on the controller. I feel like I’ve had to do it before when I was stripping audio off an ea1. If not, it was a suggestion to try as most are when your trying to help someone through a forum? Correct?

Apologies, I just checked you’re absolutely correct, I was thinking about the delay options on the hdmi output for audio, for some reason i thought there were different options for output resolution along with it. I have no problem admitting when I’m incorrect. I had a problem with hdmi output on a controller we were pulling pandora off from for a speaker bar in a separate room. But regardless, the main point is you have hdcp/edid problems most likely as stated above. 

Just as a #SameIssue I have the EXACT same issue as  you with almost the exact same config. I see you using a samsung TV me to.

Same components:

1. Use a C4 Matrix
  2. Use a similar samsung TV (going by the connection box you have)
  3. Use the same LUE1 for my C4 Matrix
  4. C4 programming done for the OSD 
  5. Using a EA5

The only thing I haven't done is put a receiver in between. Doesnt seem to make a difference if I read your posts correctly.

My Config

EA5 - HDMI out - C4 Leaf Source 1 in - HDBaseT out -> HDBaseT LUE1 -> HDMI OUT -> Samsung control box (tried HDMI 1 - 4 read on one forum on the newer TV's HDMI 3 & 4 are more forgiving (Assume is the EDID issue).

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 7:59 PM, Hometronics-SF said:

Ahhh, ok. Apologies. I guess the next question is this, do you have something else to test video like a laptop or anything hdmi? Maybe try to bring the resolution down on the ea5 because it’s seeing the cards as 4K and the tv can’t support the resolution. When plugged in directly to the tv it automatically drops the resolution. If you are not getting video on anything, try a higher resolution tv to verify the cards aren't passing a resolution that the tv can’t handle. If the cards aren’t linking after that you definitely could have a handshake issue or just a bad set of baluns. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had bad baluns out of the box, even snap AV ones. But if there is an hdcp issue or something similar, it will block the video connection and the handshake between the tv and the baluns. Leaf are usually pretty good so I’d be surprised it was that, BUT I’ve torn my hair out for hours on a Samsung tv and handshake issues literally to find out it was an hdcp issue, not the equipment connected. 

@Hometronics-SF

How do we know whether its a hdcp issue and if so, how to fix it?

Archived