C4 Forums | Control4

In Wall Subwoofer

I have installed Speakercraft Time Five speakers in my ceiling in my master bedroom. And while they sound good and have a great gee-whiz factor (they drop down from the ceiling and rotate), they are clearly lacking bass. I'd like to add an in wall sub. My dealer suggested an in ceiling, but my GC doesn't like that idea and neither do I.

Does anyone have any experience with or recommendations for a good in wall sub?

If you're just going to try it out, I hear good things about the Monoprice speakers for the price. Heck I would put them in my garage.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083705&p_id=4928&seq=1&format=2

BTW, I think those (speakercraft) are the same speakers they use in training at SLC. Aren't the motors kind of loud?

There are a lot of good speakers out there, I would suggest seeing what retailers in your area carry. I know Definitive Technology in wall subs sound pretty darn good. They are not going to give you earth shattering bass, but they do fill the lower end nicely. I know Klipsch and Niles both make in wall subs that are supposed to be pretty nice but I have never had the chance to hear them. I am sure that there are tons of other options as well.

Jesse

If you're just going to try it out, I hear good things about the Monoprice speakers for the price. Heck I would put them in my garage.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083705&p_id=4928&seq=1&format=2

BTW, I think those (speakercraft) are the same speakers they use in training at SLC. Aren't the motors kind of loud?

I don't think I want to go through all the trouble with a $39 speaker. Just not sure that would do it. Of course I could be wrong. The Time Fives are not the quietest, but the cool factor outweighs the noise!

What I'm saying is, if you're just testing to see how you'd like the idea or putting it in a "high risk" area, to me $39 is a no-brainer. But if you're set on it, I can see where you'd be leery of the price. Though a lot of things made/offered by monoprice get great reviews on AVSforum.com. I've bought cables and another of other things from them with no complaints. Now, if you want some nice drivers, give us a ring... I'm sure I have something I can sell you that I can actually make comission on :)

Have you looked at Sonance?

http://www.sonance.com/products/speakers#14,20

Mania- Its going to be an outside wall, so I'm not sure how worried I'd be about it travelling. Did you insulate yours? The price on that Jamo w/amplifier seems very reasonable. What size/type room are you using it in?

Code, those Sonance look nice. I guess one question I need to answer is whether I need it powered or not....suggestions?

Speakercraft has the cinema sub with matching amp that will fit in a standard 2x4 framed wall. I highly recommend using their backbox and it will require sheetrock repair. They sell it with the TIME series in a bundle so they should be a nice match.

Velodyne has a couple in-wall models and one can be retro-ed with little sheetrock work, if you don't mind the large exposed grill. The decorator grill verision requires an experienced and patient sheetrock repair.

I would suggest looking at either Velodyne, as mentioned before, or the Atlantic Technology in wall sub. Both sound amazing for inwall subs. Also, do you have speaker wiring available where you are going to put it? or is getting wire to the spot feasible?

Im a big fan of Paradigm. ^^ seconded.

Also, regarding the Monoprice speakers, unless anyone is really strapped for cash I recommend against them.

Just FYI here is a review I posted of various in-wall speakers I bought and tested prior to deciding on what to use in my house:

---Begin copy and paste------------

So I feel it is my duty to warn people not to buy these speakers. I fell into the trap created by all the great reviews on this thread, but since I need to buy 13 pairs of in-ceiling speakers for my distributed audio system I decided to buy 4 different pairs of speakers first, then decide between them for the rest.

I bought the following (per pair price):

Monoprice 8" in-ceiling ($56 shipped)

AudioSource 8" AS8C ($75 shipped)

Phoenix Gold 8" AS8C ($85 shipped)

Polk Audio RC80i 8" ($250 retail, can be had for $135-175 shipped)

I received the Monoprice ones first, and hooked them up to my Denon AVR-2808CI receiver. I tweaked all of the settings to my taste and let the speakers play for 24-48 hours before listening to them. Before getting any of the other speakers I felt like they did a decent, albeit not spectacular job. They have a good soundstage, but the vocals are very muddled compared to all of the other speakers. The bass is a bit flat and doesn't resonate the way I tend to like.

The Phoenix Gold speakers were up next. These were much clearer, but had even less bass. These are definitely what people mean when they refer to speakers as being "bright". Overall I didnt like these very much, but I would probably still prefer them over the Monoprice because of the clarity issue with the Monoprice ones.

The AudioSource speakers were actually very impressive. The match the clarity of the Phoenix Gold speakers but tone down the brightness a bit and add a little bit of punch in the low end. Overall these are definitely the best bang for the buck out of the four.

The Polk RC80i were a clear winner, but they should be considering most everyone on the web sells them for $250 per pair. The clarity was by far the best, soundstage was better, and they had the most bass.

So, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. That being said, however, for most people I dont think the difference between the Audiosource and the Polks would be worth $180 extra per pair. At the price I got the Polks ($100/pair) the decision was easy. I decided to get 12 total pairs of the Polks and use Audiosource for home theater surrounds in the attic (HT setup #6, not likely to be used).

For surround speakers I think all of them are servicable, but given that the Audiosource speakers are only $20/pair more I dont think there is any reason to consider the Monoprice ones unless you are really strapped for cash.

Id really like to test out more speakers (this is fun), but cant really afford to keep buying random speakers. Other things I considered were the Cambridge Soundworks 6.5" in-ceilings and I looked at every 8" speaker on Amazon and picked the ones that seemed to have the best specs under $150/pair.

-------End copy and paste ---------

Thanks for all the repsonses. Great review akg4y.

I'm leaning toward the Velodyne because of the realtively easy retrofit including the box. I have found some good pricing on it as well. I just need to check my stud spacing to make sure they are 16 on center. If they are 12, I'm back to square one unless I want to do some sheetrock work which I would prefer not to do........

No problem, glad to help. I googled my heart out trying to find comparisons of low end in wall speakers and since I didnt find one I figured Id just do it myself. I really want to try out the speakers from thespeakercompany.com, the 8" is only a little more than the Monoprice and from what Ive read they are decent speakers. The problem with audio is it is totally subjective and there are so many variables that other than big jumps in quality it will totally be personal preference as to which ones are "better." Id wager that if you had 100 people listen to the Audiosource speakers and the Phoenix Gold ones around 50 would like one and 50 would like the other.

The other thing is the Monoprice speakers sound fine on their own, but when you do a side to side comparison (I hooked each of these up as speaker output A with a different pair as speaker B on my receiver and just flipped between the two on various songs) you realize how much clearer some of them are.

I am using the Paradigm SA-35 in walls for my front speakers and SA-35s for my rears (around $800 and $600 respectively) and quality wise they are night and day beyond any other in wall I have ever heard. My dealer is a Klipsch fan and a Klipsch dealer, but to me those speakers sound harsh and actually hurt my ears a bit when they are loud. The Paradigms are smooth as butter.. I could turn them up to twice what I regularly watch movies at and they still sound great.

I have installed Speakercraft Time Five speakers in my ceiling in my master bedroom. And while they sound good and have a great gee-whiz factor (they drop down from the ceiling and rotate), they are clearly lacking bass. I'd like to add an in wall sub. My dealer suggested an in ceiling, but my GC doesn't like that idea and neither do I.

Does anyone have any experience with or recommendations for a good in wall sub?

NHT IWS....i have 2 of them in my media room they are fantastic..........make sure you get the A1 and X1 also!!!!!

Archived