C4 Forums | Control4

Receiver

Hey-

I am looking at updating my receiver so that I can use it to switch HDMI. Any suggestions what works well with Control4?

We Personally use Marantz Receivers. Serial Drivers work flawlessly.

Integra. The Driver Works IP driver works great.

Is the driver works IP driver two way and will the IP driver work on my DTR 8.8' date=' currently I am using the IR.

Thanks[/quote']

The driver is two way and there is a version for the DTR 8.8.

I used to use an old Onkyo and got some new Denon 2808s at my dealer's recommendation and I really dont enjoy the sound from them as much, nor are they as intuitive. Might just be the setup since I havent been able to tweak it much yet, but I think I may just not be a Denon fan.

I really dont enjoy the sound from them as much, nor are they as intuitive. Might just be the setup since I havent been able to tweak it much yet, but I think I may just not be a Denon fan.

I'm not a fan either. For the money, you can find a much better receiver. Plus, Denon is whored out everywhere you look.

Interesting opinions!

I AM actually a Denon fan, as I have tons of them out there still in service over the last 10 years, and have only seen "1" bad out of the box. (am I just lucky?)

I also have a few Onkyo/ Integras out there (which are basically the same damn thing... wasn't there a buy out like 2 years ago?)

Lately I've been using Pioneer Elites, and they just flat F'n ROCK!

I like the look and sound of Marantz, but the menu's are just horrible IMO.

Interesting opinions!

I AM actually a Denon fan, as I have tons of them out there still in service over the last 10 years, and have only seen "1" bad out of the box. (am I just lucky?)

I also have a few Onkyo/ Integras out there (which are basically the same damn thing... wasn't there a buy out like 2 years ago?)

I agree... Denon and Pioneer Elite are the best OMO. Both jave amazing discrete IR control as well as serial and now some IP drivers... Plus the setup is so easy. I did many B&K setups and love the sound, but took forever and a day and a spl meter to tweak them just right, (notch filters etc)

Interesting opinions!

The Integra brand is Onkyo's high-end.

Ah, I see.

Come to think of it, the only Onkyos I've installed were all customers that went out and bought retail and called me out fix the mess. LOL

Edit: Always funny when someone can't figure out why it keeps going into 'Auto-Protect'.

• 4 weeks later...

So if you are looking for a new reeiver, why wouldn't you just get a C4 tuner and Amp (I'm not suggesting you should, I'm just actually don't know the answer). I've been thinking about getting rid of my Denon 2808 and switching to C4 equipment. I actually listen to radio often and would like to see the stations show up on Navigator. I also have two zones (one that switches between TV and audio) and will probably add more.

Also, what is the difference between serial, IR, and IP? I know the difference in terminology buy why use one over the other?

Also, what is the difference between serial, IR, and IP? I know the difference in terminology buy why use one over the other?

Using serial or IP for controlling your hardware allows for 2-way communication between your receiver and the C4 controller. The benefit is that the C4 controller can know if the device actually executed the command.

IR is only1-way. The C4 controller sends the command and hopes the receiver executes the command. The C4 controller has no way to determine if the command was correctly executed.

As for IP commands, this can be done with hardware that has an ethernet port along with the supported drivers, correct? As for serial, how many serial devices can an HC-300 support? I'm assuming only as many devices as there are serial ports on the controller?

Do the IP devices just get plugged into a switch and that switch goes to the HC-300?

Correct. One serial port is required for each item of equipment that has serial control available.

You also have to have a proper driver for it, which not all serially-controlled receivers have.

RyanE

• 1 month later...
I really dont enjoy the sound from them as much' date=' nor are they as intuitive. Might just be the setup since I havent been able to tweak it much yet, but I think I may just not be a Denon fan.[/quote']

I'm not a fan either. For the money, you can find a much better receiver. Plus, Denon is whored out everywhere you look.

I would like to retract my earlier opinion on the Denons... I finally have my family room setup with the TV mounted, Paradigm SA-35 fronts, SA-30 rears, signature C1 center, and a Polk PSW12 sub (temporary). Although it took a while for me to figure out how to set it up, after I did the Audyssey auto-speaker setup I can only say, damn this thing rocks. Im watching Transformers on Cinemax and it blows my old Onkyo out of the water.

On a slightly related note, damn Megan Fox is hot.

As an example, my dogs get totally freaked out by thunder... Ive tried for years to fake them out with thunder & rainstorm audio clips, various thundering scenes in movies, etc, to no avail. Yesterday there was thunder in a movie I was watching and they immediately came and hid next to me.

Archived